Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone gotten VMWare 4.0 to work on Kubuntu 12.04. I'm receiving the following in the logs:

2012-04-23T08:45:11.275-07:00| vthread-3| I120: Header path /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic/build/include for kernel release 3.2.0-23-generic is valid.
    2012-04-23T08:45:11.311-07:00| vthread-3| I120: Trying to find a suitable PBM set for kernel 3.2.0-23-generic.
    2012-04-23T08:45:11.318-07:00| vthread-3| I120: Trying to find a suitable PBM set for kernel 3.2.0-23-generic.
    2012-04-23T08:45:11.323-07:00| vthread-3| I120: Trying to find a suitable PBM set for kernel 3.2.0-23-generic.

Comment

I might have to try VMWare then... VirtualBox is alright... not good on 2GB of RAM though for me.

3 days and counting till final
      12 year old KDE and Ubuntu lover. Nothing much...

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
        Good luck getting it installed on precise. Did not feel like trolling the forums for the necessary kernel patches.
        Patches for kernel 3.2/3.3 and kernel 3.4. They work fine, I've used both.

Originally posted by culdesac View Post
        Has anyone gotten VMWare 4.0 to work on Kubuntu 12.04. I'm receiving the following in the logs:
        2012-04-23T08:45:11.275-07:00| vthread-3| I120: Header path /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic/build/include for kernel release 3.2.0-23-generic is valid.
        2012-04-23T08:45:11.311-07:00| vthread-3| I120: Trying to find a suitable PBM set for kernel 3.2.0-23-generic.
        2012-04-23T08:45:11.318-07:00| vthread-3| I120: Trying to find a suitable PBM set for kernel 3.2.0-23-generic.
        2012-04-23T08:45:11.323-07:00| vthread-3| I120: Trying to find a suitable PBM set for kernel 3.2.0-23-generic.
        Hm, haven't seen that one before. What does Google say?

Comment

I'm running the 3.2.0-23-generic kernel and VirtualBox is working OK for me. I had to install the latest version of VB and its tools
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I want to upgrade to 12.04. but I confused to which release I want. I have 16 gb of ram and want to run 64 bit to take advantage. but I have intel i3, and the 64 bit, says it is for AMD...

any insight would be great. thanks.

Comment

With 16GB of RAM I'm pretty sure it's a 64-bit computer.
              And what I know of the i3 it's generally sold as a 64-bit processor.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

The AMD part in the name of the 64-bit Ubuntu's has to do with the protocol used, it was developed by AMD and later became the industry standard for *68 processors.
              Because Intel likes to be standard compliant I'm sure the 64-bit (AMD) version of Kubuntu runs on your computer

Comment

64 bit

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                With 16GB of RAM I'm pretty sure it's a 64-bit computer.
                And what I know of the i3 it's generally sold as a 64-bit processor.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

The AMD part in the name of the 64-bit Ubuntu's has to do with the protocol used, it was developed by AMD and later became the industry standard for *68 processors.
                Because Intel likes to be standard compliant I'm sure the 64-bit (AMD) version of Kubuntu runs on your computer
                OK cool, I am going to DL it now. I am hoping it plays better with win 7 comps on the network...

thanks,,,,

Comment

I've been using the Kubuntu Precise Beta 2 for a few days now and I really like it. I upgraded from Oneiric where I had at that time installed both the Ubuntu and Kubuntu desktops. Anyway, after the upgrade, I had to use the KDE plasma failsafe mode for a while because the regular plasma workspace software and widgets were loading too slowly. The screen was redrawing slowly as well. The weather widget simply would not get its data; yet in failsafe mode it did, and everything else loaded quickly and beautifully.

What I found out was if I removed "~/.config/Trolltech.conf", everything was fine again in the normal KDE plasma workspace. I've been trying to figure out just what Trolltech is. It appears it may have something to do with mobile phones, and I'm using a desktop PC. Does anyone know about this. Anyway, the file keeps coming back, and I finally set up a script to delete it on login. Otherwise, this is one of the greatest Kubuntu versions yet!
                  ~George
                  Linux — leaping tall "Bill-dings" in a single bound!
                  Linux user #347469

Comment

64 bit upgrade

Originally posted by bobk View Post
                    OK cool, I am going to DL it now. I am hoping it plays better with win 7 comps on the network...

thanks,,,,
                    I d/l the 64 bit version, and burned it to dvd. then I couldn't figure out how to get to start to update.
                    so I did a search, and came up with a instruction, that had me run a comand "kubuntu-devel-
                    release-upgrade" it started to upgrade. I left it run for a while, and when I went back, it was still
                    updating, after a very long time. it seems that it didn't update from the DVD, but is re downloading
                    everything...I hope it was smart enough to do the 64 bit, or I have wasted a evening....

Comment

Trolltech is the name of the company which created Qt around 1997 or so. Nokia bought them out a few years ago. KDE is built using the Qt API.
                      In your context it is the name of a folder under ~/.config which contains the Qt developer tools configuration files. If you use QtCreator and modify a UI then you will see "Designer.conf" under the Trolltech folder.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks, GreyGeek. The "Trolltech.conf" was actually just a file directly in the ~/.config folder, but was not in its own subfolder. It makes me think it is being generated somewhere else maybe, because it keeps reappearing even after it is deleted. Still curious why its presence would have such a slowing effect on the standard KDE Plasma workspace. When that file is removed, files and programs load quickly again.
                        ~George
                        Linux — leaping tall "Bill-dings" in a single bound!
                        Linux user #347469

Comment

Best I can tell, that file caches a variety of Qt settings. But it isn't authoritative for anything, so deleting it doesn't cause a problem.

Comment

I use Trolltech.conf to speed up the blink rate in konsole: cursorFlashTime=350 in the [qt] section. The other two sections in mine are [Qt Plugin Cache 4.7.false] and [Qt Factory Cache 4.7].

KDE's system settings, mostly stored in ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals, omits this setting, presumably because it doesn't quite fit into any of its categories. Took me a long time, ahem:roll:, to find how to set that.
                            Regards, John Little

Comment

64 bit?

Originally posted by bobk View Post
                              I d/l the 64 bit version, and burned it to dvd. then I couldn't figure out how to get to start to update.
                              so I did a search, and came up with a instruction, that had me run a comand "kubuntu-devel-
                              release-upgrade" it started to upgrade. I left it run for a while, and when I went back, it was still
                              updating, after a very long time. it seems that it didn't update from the DVD, but is re downloading
                              everything...I hope it was smart enough to do the 64 bit, or I have wasted a evening....
                              how can I find out what verison I now have? is there a properties, like windows, that tells me
                              system info?

Comment

If you downloaded the the 64 bit beta 2 then that's what you will have installed from your DVD. In running the devel-release-upgrade command I think you may have upgraded to (ahem) the beta 2 i.e simply re-dowloaded what you already had. That command is only used to upgrade from a prior version (eg 11.10) to the 12.04 beta.

To keep pace with updates of 12.04 you simply need the following commands:

sudo apt-get update

This updates the package list

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

This downloads and installs any updated packages.

You may have downloaded the beta but using these commands will ensure you keep up to date, so you will not need to download 12.04 when it is properly "released" tomorrow, as you'll already be there.

To check your version, type

lsb_release -a

Hope this helps
                                Last edited by The Liquidator; Apr 25, 2012, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X