Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is everybody's upgrading/installation experience so far?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good with Alternate CD

I finally gave up on the upgrade notification and just used the Alternate CD method, which quite pleasantly downloads everything from the Net (optionally) once it gets going. The only glitch was a well-known one: the complaints about samba4. The powers that be really ought to fix that in a hurry, if for no other reason than to stop the deluge of bug reports.

Comment

Re: What is everybody's upgrading/installation experience so far?

So far most things are good. Just some minor issues. Somehow my ipod isn't recognized anymore (something about the file system) and Koffice bugs out about half the time (the cursor doesn't move no matter where I click in the document) but by and large, all is well

Comment

very good.. 4 out of 5 i would give to this version.
        _everything_ worked out of the box! (see the signature for config)

just one annoyance.. amarok resizes itself everytime i use it.
        asus A52N
        Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
        AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
        windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

So far it's working very well. About two years ago I almost switched back to Windows because it was impossible for me to work with KDE on my machine at that moment.
          Now everything's almost working without any problem, even the nvdia driver. And I can actually READ the text Firefox displays (was impossible two year ago).
          My biggest problem is to get used to a whole lot of new programs, desktop, etc., because I was still working with 8.04. But that's of course no real problem.
          I'm really glad I got about two year ago on this board the tip to just reinstall 8.04. I didn't know the cd's were updated, so I could just reinstall 8.04 with all updates etc. Thanks again!

Comment

After a week of installing 11.04 on the fleet, here's my results.

1. Personal Desktop - Upgraded from 10.10, installation ran over night. Upon first boot it crashed, and had other issues with the video drivers (nivida). Fresh install of 11.04 solved it, been running stable ever since.

2. Kid's computer. Fresh install of 11.04, first boot had video driver problems (6000 series Nvidia card). Let computer sit overnight and it was magically healed. Running fine ever since.

3. Notebook - Upgraded from 10.10, update completed in 30 minutes, no problems whatsoever, really impressed with the OS, until I went to use the wireless for the first time. Computer responds, "what wireless?" Can't get broadcomm driver to work with 11.04. Because I really needed wireless on the notebook for the workweek, went back to 10.10 and running fine ever since.

4. Netbook - same issues with the wireless as the Notebook. Fiddled around again with the wireless drivers, then went back to 10.10.

End result -outside of the wireless issues, I like the look and feel of 11.04. But since wireless is a huge deal on a notebook, went back with what worked in 10.10.

Comment

Problem with MTP mode and mtpfs on Sansa Clip+

I know this is a somewhat specialized problem but I'll mention it anyway. Under 10.10 I had no difficulty in using mtpfs, a file system for attached music players. But under 11.04 either I can't get the connection recognized or it's recognized but I then lose it at a random moment. The symptom is the message "Transport endpoint is not connected". It's the same message I get if I actually disconnect the player from the computer. I suspect the problem is in the implementation of mtpfs.

Comment

Mixed:

My desktop: Full new install, the Downside
                Now having sound card issues again which is a huge regression IMO. I get sound, but can't configure my outputs the way I want. Still no support for multiple NIC's but I appear to be the only person using both my ethernet ports so I guess I shouldn't expect that. Oh - one other regression - nfs now (once again) slows the boot (about 20 seconds) by attempting to mount nfs shares before the network is up. I haven't dug into this issue yet because the sound card bugs me more and frankly, I don't reboot very often.

On the uptick:
                Desktop action MUCH smoother and less prone to stuttering and lockups. Several features seem to works faster, like dolphin connecting to network shares.

Neutral:
                Dolphin is not overjoyed at my selection of btrfs as my main format. Since btrfs raid configurations can be accessed from any partition selection, it lists them all in the places window. Not enough of a problem to whine about, but noticeable.

Laptop's: Upgraded from 10.10, Downside: One of them won't suspend properly. Closing the lid results in a black screen and dead keyboard (not even raw mode) forcing a power down and restart. This is my daughters computer so I haven't had time to figure it out yet.

Upside: This same computer is low-spec but I can still have desktop effects which is great. Desktop response is noticeably better on my laptop (a high power model).

Bottom line:
                Upgrade well worth the trouble. Hopeful I can figure out the suspend and audio problems. Overall 4 stars out of 5.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X