Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is everybody's upgrading/installation experience so far?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is everybody's upgrading/installation experience so far?

Now that 11.04 final is out, how is everybody doing upgrading and or installing? I've got three computers currently running 10.10, and wanted to see how the upgrade experience is going before I take the plunge. Thanks!

Re: What is everybody's upgrading/installation experience so far?

I went for the first beta and except for a fleeting problem with Bluetooth have had few problems.
    This is the first release where I can use the network manager and didn't have to install wicd.
    I find the system a little more polished than 10.10, a lot of it is probably the advances in KDE.

Comment

I've been anxiously awaiting to see how other people's upgrades from 10.10 have gone.
      Then that little voice inside my head said "do it! do it!" - so I started the upgrade via kpackagekit about 5 min ago. I'll let you know how it goes.

(FYI, I'm upgrading from 10.10 64-bit on an Intel 8500 quad-core CPU, Nvidia GeForce GT240)

Edit: It's going SLOW... about 30 minutes in, and only 150 of 1764 packages downloaded.

Comment

I have upgrade 4 computers so far without any problems. Three were running 10.10 and I used the command line: kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade. The computers include an HP Pavilion DV5000 laptop (very smooth install), the second is an Acer Aspire One (I did loose the ability to use openGL and have any speed / intel video chip), the third is a Dell 5500 series Tower (gained the ability to activate desktop affects), and the fourth computers was a tower my son built with way to many hard drives. On the custom built tower we replaced a different version of Linux and installed 11.04 (64bit) along side XP. After some false starts with the install, he unplugged one of the hard drives and set the dvd drive to boot first. All went well and the computer operates flawless. He really loves not needing to do anything to get the network sharing working with an XP system he has on his network.

Comment

For me, its the best Kubuntu I have installed to date.
          Either I have gained experience using KDE and/or Kubuntu just got a whole lot better. I'm thinking the latter to be true.

[AMD64 Athlon2, 4gig ram, nvidia 6150se video]
          Boot Info Script

Comment

All went well here. I installed afresh and kept my /home. No wireless or bluetooth to worry about though.

Comment

Installed Natty using Wubi, since I need Windows 7 for work. On both my laptop and desktop, install was quick and painless. I even got my wireless up and running on the laptop in less than 5 mins after the initial boot. I missed using Kubuntu. Last update I did was Lucid and hadn't used it in while.

Comment

Installed this morning doing fresh install. Everything went like clockwork. No issues with wifi at all. I've been using it all day today and find it to be extremely stable.
                Kubuntu 20.04
                HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Comment

I have had problems with the KDE desktop environment in the past, but this time around, its amazingly fast and stable. I like it more than Unity by far which has been giving me problems.

Comment

Update to my post above....
                    Woke up this morning and the upgrade was nearly done... I had to answer some prompts to keep/replace some config files.
                    Then it said the upgrade aborted.
                    *gulp*
                    it said that dpkg --configure -a would be run... but there was a bug in update manager.
                    I restarted the system and it all came back ok.

Looked in the dist-upgrade log and saw some ERRORs. But everything seems to be working. I'll probably post up the logs/errors in another thread to document it. But all seems OK. *phew*

Comment

Have upgraded one of my three boxes, and it all went just fine. The second is happening now, with no issues.

Initially, on both boxes, the upgrade routine reported insufficient space in my root partition, which I fixed with deletions and trash clearing on one and resizing of the partition on the other,

Post-upgrade issues on the one completed box, so far, are nil. I agree with someone else's statement: best Kubuntu upgrade so far. Very smooth.

Hooray for all those who put in the long hours to make this possible!

Comment

Fresh install on extra partition. Seemed to go well until reboot. The grub list was invisable only showing "Out of range" message. Would then boot into Natty after 10 sec. or enter. "Out of range" I think is a message my monitor gives when it has no input.

After wading around grub howto for a while I finally fixed it by removing the # from this line in /etc/defaults/grub
                        GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480.

Works fine now. Grub shows my boot list as expected.

I assume this was caused by the new grub not wanting to do graphics on my 10 year old hardware?
                        Whatever. It works fine now.

Ken.
                        Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

What upgrade?!!!!

You lucky folks have Natty to try. I can't get it to download! The very first step, according to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NattyUpgrades/Kubuntu, is to click on the upgrade notification. Well, I'm running 10.10 64-bit Kubuntu, and I don't get an upgrade notification. Not only that, but neither Synaptic nor KPackageKit seem to know anything about it. I guess it really is released now, but I don't know why I see no sign of it.

Comment

First try do do a package upgrade, i.e. check for updates.
                            Open a terminal and issue the command:
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get update
                            When that promised button is still missing I'd look beyond KPackageKit.

Have you tried with one of the more reliable package managers like Synaptic, Adept or even Muon?

Comment

To tell you the truth, Kubu Natty is so smooth, I uninstalled it and am distro shopping again. I came on board a couple of weeks ago, expecting to help with bugs and problems, but nothing apart from two minor things. What's the fun in that?

Comment

Working...
                              X