Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommendations for wireless routers?

Yes, and it failed. I'll have to unplug my laptop from the DSL modem and plug the router back in so I can be more specific... I'll be back!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I think the first thing I'd do is call Earthlink support and ask for the correct settings for your router and modem. They should help you out.

Please Read Me

Comment

Okay, I now have a wired connection that works--but I don't know that it's going to last. I went back through and repeated a bunch of steps I'd already done, and they all failed again (DHCP, IP address, connecting to remote host, etc.). Then I went back to the page where my e-mail address and password are stored, changed nothing, hit 'apply' and it went through the process showing its progress in percentages. Then it got stuck at "Complete!"--and that's where it's still sitting now in one of my tabs. After that happened I saw that I could ping sites at a prompt, and my jaw dropped! Yay, I thought! Sure enough, I can connect to sites (like I am right now)--but wireless is still not working. I mean, I'm connected but it doesn't do anything. Even my smartphone, which I had set up to connect automatically to my previous wireless network connected to the new one...but it can't access anything either.

Oh, I see oshunluvr's reply--I know the modem's settings (and keep in mind it works fine if I cable a computer directly to it), so I don't need those. If I call Earthlink and ask for the router's settings they'll give me the "we don't support Linux" nonsense...after I wait on hold for 20-30 minutes...and get connected to someone I can barely understand...and then I'll tell them it doesn't matter what OS I have since it's all done via web browser... And right this minute I don't feel like it.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I feel you pain - but if like you said you at least have a wired connection through the new router, thy wouldn't help you anyway.

I think what you're saying is you can connect to the router via wireless, but no outside connection to the internet when using wireless. When connected via cable, you have a fully functional connection - both network (router) and internet. Is this correct?

If so, seems clear the issue is wireless security/connectivity on the router or some sort of firewall issue.

Have you verified you''re at the most current level of firmware? I'd check that first and look for help on the Asus site.

From what I read, seems easy enough to install DD-WRT also if it comes to that.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
            I feel you pain - but if like you said you at least have a wired connection through the new router, thy wouldn't help you anyway.
            Great.

I think what you're saying is you can connect to the router via wireless, but no outside connection to the internet when using wireless. When connected via cable, you have a fully functional connection - both network (router) and internet. Is this correct?
            Yes, exactly.

If so, seems clear the issue is wireless security/connectivity on the router or some sort of firewall issue.
            I really think it's because the router is not generating the keys/passphrases, despite my having done everything that should have caused that to happen.

Have you verified you''re at the most current level of firmware? I'd check that first and look for help on the Asus site.
            I haven't gotten to that yet...

From what I read, seems easy enough to install DD-WRT also if it comes to that.
            Yes, it's supposed to be easy and straightforward--but when you consider how complicated and ridiculous everything's been for me lately (like my DSL connection going in and out, my high-speed cable installation failing and having to jump through hoops to get that done (hopefully tomorrow), my router dying, the new router not working correctly, and so on)...I'm not too optimistic!

And now, to add to my confusion, when I enter 192.168.1.1 into my browser, I don't get the router's setup page--I get the DSL modem's. When that happened I thought, okay, I've obviously lost track of what's connected to what at this point, and I got up and went to the modem expecting to see that I was really cabled to it...but I wasn't. I DEFINITELY have the modem connected to the router via cable, then my laptop connected to the router via cable. So...WTF?!

Comment

The router and the DSL modem have the same IP address - that'll never work. Disconnect the DSL modem from the router, log onto the router and change the router's IP address.
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

Exactly Wiz - You cant have two devices with the same IP. Change the router to .2 and I bet all will work as expected.

Please Read Me

Comment

I changed the router to 192.168.2.1 (which is what my old router was)...and now I can't access its configurator at all. Nothing happens. I mean nothing--no error message, no 'page not found' errors, nothing. Any ideas? I'm sure there's a way to do a hard reset on it, but I have no idea what that might be.

Just a reminder--so I don't look like a complete moron--it's been over FIVE YEARS since I even THOUGHT about my modem or router's settings. I know what their IP addresses were, 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 respectively, only because I keep meticulous records of things and had this info stored away in a file, along with all the keys and other stuff related to the modem and router. So when I read wizard's post about changing the router's address, I looked up what the old one was, changed it to that and, well, the rest is history. *shrug*

Comment

try 198.162.1.2

and BTW - nobody thinks you're stupid. And if they say different, they'll have to deal with me...

Please Read Me

Comment

Look into reset to factory defaults to get back to start

Please Read Me

Comment

I can't access the router's configurator via browser.

ETA: Thanks, oshun.

Comment

I found the instructions for resetting the router, and I did that. Then, when I could once again access its config utility, I restored everything back to factory settings there, too.

At one point I actually, sort of, had wireless Internet. I could ping a site and get the correct IP address back from it, so there was definitely Internet connectivity, but then I'd get 100% packet loss; I could not connect to any web pages.

I even, on a whim, tried plugging in my new Earthlink e-mail address and password--the ones assigned to me when I arranged for cable Internet, which I don't have yet--but that didn't work either.

Right now, I'm exhausted and my head hurts--the side my craniotomy was on. I think it's time to give up on this for today.

Oh! I nearly forgot--it's going to get more complicated tomorrow afternoon when, hopefully, Time Warner finishes the high-speed cable Internet installation. I imagine that they'll verify their cable modem works correctly and then leave. I doubt they'll be of any help with the router, though, right?

Comment

This morning I thought I'd take a chance on my old (WRT54G) router working, even if just while wired, so I could get screenshots of all its settings. It not only worked wired, but its wireless is working perfectly. (That's how I'm connecting right now.) Anyway, I took screenshots of every single page of its configuration, thinking that when I try the ASUS again I can manually plug in the values from the LinkSys router. However...right now I'm thinking I may return the ASUS and get the newer version of my old router. Or even take a chance on it continuing to work. I don't know why it was completely NOT working last week, but it definitely wasn't, either wired or wireless on any computer. Now? It's fine. Maybe resting it did the trick. :P

Comment

Has your cable been installed yet? Wife and I moved recently and had to go through getting cable service (Comcast) set up in a new location.
                              Since we are getting VOIP service as well, a new cable modem was installed, which changed the start up process a bit.
                              I know what it's like to have to set up your infrastructure AGAIN, which is a pain. I am glad you got your old WRT54G up, those things are workhorses, and I had one for years, until a lightning storm knocked two of its four LAN ports, a printer, and my network switch out last year. I replaced it with a newer model about a month ago, when I simply could net get it to work at our new location. My guess is the combination of lightning damage and the stress of moving broke it's WAN port.
                              After looking at your previous posts, I suggest taking a couple of deep breaths, relaxing, and trying your new Asus router again.
                              First off, find out what your cable modem's IP address really is. In my experience, they usually are 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.0. Connect your PC directly to the modem and do some pings. Once you know your modem's IP address, write it down. Before moving on any further, you will need to what type of connection Time/Warner uses. It will probably be DHCP or PPOE. DHCP does not require a username/password, they are simply issuing your router/computer an IP address from a pool of addresses that changes after a set period of time. PPOE requires authentication, and they should have supplied you with a username and password. FYI - Comcast uses DHCP and I'll bet Time/Warner isn't any different.
                              Power your router up with out connecting it to the cable modem. Disconnect your PC from the modem and connect it to the router. After waiting tor your PC to get a new IP address, go to the router's config page at http://192.168.1.1. If the cable modem's IP address is the same as your router, change the router's IP address to 192.168.1.2, so they aren't using the same IP address. Reboot the router, wait for a connection, the access it's config page again. Go the the network settings page and set up your connection type, DHCP or PPOE. Don't forget to input username/password for the PPOE connection. At this time I usually set my LAN DHCP address pool to start at 192.168.1.100, but that's just my preference.
                              Power down everything. Disconnect your PC from the router. Connect your router to the modem via the Internet (WAN) port. Power up the cable modem. Wait for it to come all the way up. Power up your router. Wait for it to come all the way up. Plug your PC into router LAN port #1. Turn on your PC.
                              Should be a VOILA!
                              Wireless settings to follow after I take a break...

Comment

Verify that you have an internet connection by checking the Status page in your router config. If you see an IP Address and a host name, then you are good. If you see all zeros, you are not connected to the internet. Recheck your connections, power up hardware again in this order: Cable Modem, router, PC. If you have a wired internet connection before you set up your wireless settings, you should have a wireless internet connection afterward.
                                If you still don't have a connection, go to your router's manufacturer site for help.
                                Moving on to wireless settings.
                                Disclaimer: I am not a network security professional. I use settings which combine security with ease of use. If anyone wants to nitpick these settings, do so with someone else, not me. Turn wireless security on and tell it you want to create your own settings. I use WPA2 and create a key that is at least 8 characters long. I change the SSID to something unique, but broadcast it. Cisco recommends not broadcasting it, but I have a large extended family and broadcasting the SSID makes it easier for them to connect when they are at my house. I also set the speed for mixed mode due to large variance of hardware my family has.
                                The router will reset after these changes. After it's done, you should be able to connect by scanning for wireless networks, then connecting to the SSID and inputting the WPA2 key.

Comment

Working...
                                X