This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for wireless routers?

If you've read my previous thread, the one about losing my wireless connection, you'll know that it turns out the problem was the router. (At least I'm as sure as I can be, after troubleshooting.) So I'm going to buy a new one and see if that solves the problem.

My current router, which I've had for 5+ years, is a LinkSys WRT54G, and until now it's worked flawlessly. I'm looking at the newer version, a WRT54GL, at Amazon and was impressed by the very first line under "Technical Details":

Linux-based Internet-sharing Router with built-in 4-port Switch and Wireless-G Access Point

Anyway, I'd like to order something ASAP as I'm down to only one computer with Internet connectivity (directly cabled to the DSL modem), but if anyone can offer some quick suggestions/recommendations I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I think I'll go with the WRT54GL.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Re: Recommendations for wireless routers?

I've got two of these with DD-WRT installed. Highly recommended.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320038
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

my Belkin wireless G has been serving me well for years and at 35-40$ a bargen (well looks like curently it's 22$ >).....but if I had the $ I would get that one @ wizard10000 just linked to

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks, wizard and vinny, for the input. Yes, the router wizard linked to looks good. I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else has suggestions, then decide what to buy!
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I got one of these about three months ago: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704038

I liked the detachable antenna feature -- TP-Link and others have higher-gain antennas that you can connect.

Comment

I'm looking at the newer version, a WRT54GL
            Newer, yes but not new/recent. I had one. My recollection is that I had to have two units, the (modem) router and the (wireless) router.

If you are looking for something newer and it might apply to your computer(s) then definitely go for the "N" standard and mentioned by Wizard1000 and dibl. Look for a single unit where you can plug in the DSL cable AND it transmits wirelessly. The "N" standard is backwards compatible and should work with "G".

(Me? Computing on junk. I just put a "wanted" on Freecycle and got a Thomson TG585 v7. Has worked fine here for more than a year.)

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
              I'm looking at the newer version, a WRT54GL
              Newer, yes but not new/recent. I had one. My recollection is that I had to have two units, the (modem) router and the (wireless) router.

If you are looking for something newer and it might apply to your computer(s) then definitely go for the "N" standard and mentioned by Wizard1000 and dibl. Look for a single unit where you can plug in the DSL cable AND it transmits wirelessly.
              I'm confused. All I have is one router, the WRT54G, which is connected to my DSL modem (supplied by Earthlink). Are you saying that I could eliminate the DSL modem if I had a wireless router that I could plug the phone line into? (The phone line that connects to the jack through a filter and is then plugged into the DSL modem.) Or am I completely misunderstanding what you're saying? (Entirely possible!)

The "N" standard is backwards compatible and should work with "G".
              Okay, that's good to know.

Comment

If you're looking for reliable 802.11n (or just "N") support, be sure you pick a router that has a separate radio for the 5 GHz frequency band. Trying to get decent N speeds on 2.4 GHz is damn near impossible, what with the competition from from Bluetooth, your microwave oven, your garage door opener, the baby monitor next door, and other wi-fi networks nearby. (Your wireless NIC also needs to support 5 GHz, so verify that, too. Even if your current NIC doesn't operate at that frequency band, getting a dual-radio router helps preserve your investment.)

I wholeheartedly endorse the SmallNetBuilder site for researching wireless gear. Of particular note are the performance charts. Pay attention to the WAN-to-LAN throughput if/when you get that fast Internet connection. Some elcheap-o routers can be truly sucky; if you're paying for a 40mbps connection but your router's WAN-to-LAN maxes out at 15, then you're throwing away money every month.

Comment

Are you saying that I could eliminate the DSL modem if I had a wireless router that I could plug the phone line into?
                  Yes.
                  "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
                    Are you saying that I could eliminate the DSL modem if I had a wireless router that I could plug the phone line into?
                    Yes.
                    My confusion continues. I've just looked at the backs of several routers, including some mentioned in this thread, and I don't see anything resembling a port for a phone line to plug into. I see RJ-45 ports (one for the Ethernet cable coming in from the DSL modem and four for Ethernet cables going out to computers), but nothing resembling a phone jack.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
                      My confusion continues. I've just looked at the backs of several routers, including some mentioned in this thread, and I don't see anything resembling a port for a phone line to plug into. I see RJ-45 ports (one for the Ethernet cable coming in from the DSL modem and four for Ethernet cables going out to computers), but nothing resembling a phone jack.
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320073

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156320

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16825115048

we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
                        You can buy integrated devices that incorporate both a DSL modem and a wireless router. I'd advise against that, though. The manufacturers of consumer networking gear cut a lot of corners to meet certain magic price points. To cram DSL+802.11+routing all into one box, the manufacturers will use slower CPUs, less RAM, and fewer antennas, all of which negatively affect performance.

My preference is to use three separate units for each function: one modem (cable in my case), one router, and wireless AP. That way, if one unit croaks, I'm not throwing away a piece of hardware whose other functions might be working just fine. Device independence also makes it easier to upgrade individual elements of your connectivity package.

However, since the performance of wired routers is truly abysmal unless you're prepared to spend about $300, I actually use a wireless router with its radio disabled as my network's primary Internet gateway. Sigh.

Comment

Here is a picture of the back of a Thomson - http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3...85v7backlr.jpg

The grey socket that says DSL.

Comment

Wow. Learn something new every day!

Thanks everybody for all the input and links. Like I've said, I got DSL for the first (and only) time 5+ years ago. At that time, all I knew was that Earthlink said they'd send me a DSL modem and all the parts (cables, filter, splitter, etc.) to get it up and running. I installed it, verified that it worked, then bought a wireless router so all my computers could connect. From then until now--when all my problems started--I hadn't given modems or routers another thought.

I really appreciate all the suggestions and other info.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                              I got one of these about three months ago: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704038
                              I'm seeing what appear to be three cable connectors on the back. If/when I ever get my high-speed cable Internet installed, am I correct in assuming that I can bypass a cable modem and connect directly to the router?

Comment

Working...
                              X