Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how does one empty the trash "manually"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how does one empty the trash "manually"?

hi,

i keep getting error messages that my trash folder is full (even-though it looks empty) and i must empty it manually.

okay? well lets open konsole and rm that thing! but where is the trash folder please?

best i can figure it is somewhere in /(Trash) but i cannot find that directory. i cannot find it in /home/<user> either.

and i know to give ls the -al option. but i still can't seem to find it.

please advise.

thank you.
    “The door to the cabinet is to be opened using a minimum of 15 Kleenexes.” ~Howard Hughes

Linux 3.5.0-21-generic, KDE 4.9.4, Plasma Netbook,
    Grand Unified Bootloader (Grub) 0.97-29ubuntu66 (Legacy version)

Dell MINI 9, Intel Dual Core Atom (2x) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, 32-bits,
    STEC PATA 32GB SSD on IDE Bus, 2Gb RAM.

Intel Mobile 945SE Express Integrated Graphics Controller with OpenGL/ES extensions

~/.local/share/Trash

is what you are looking for

Comment

Originally posted by oznola View Post
      hi,

i keep getting error messages that my trash folder is full (even-though it looks empty) and i must empty it manually.

okay? well lets open konsole and rm that thing! but where is the trash folder please?

best i can figure it is somewhere in /(Trash) but i cannot find that directory. i cannot find it in /home/<user> either.

and i know to give ls the -al option. but i still can't seem to find it.

please advise.

thank you.
      Open dolphin, right click on the trash icon and tell it to empty itself!

Comment

thank you james... :cool:
        “The door to the cabinet is to be opened using a minimum of 15 Kleenexes.” ~Howard Hughes

Intel Mobile 945SE Express Integrated Graphics Controller with OpenGL/ES extensions

Comment

and to empty it (and remove its "info") securely,

srm -ll .local/share/Trash/files/*
          srm -ll .local/share/Trash/info/*

srm - secure file deletion for posix systems
          http://srm.sourceforge.net/

(srm has the same options as rm -- so see "man rm" (from Konsole))
          (-ll is two lower case letter "el"'s -- see the man page for rm)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
            and to empty it (and remove its "info") securely,

srm -ll .local/share/Trash/files/*
            srm -ll .local/share/Trash/info/*

srm - secure file deletion for posix systems
            http://srm.sourceforge.net/

(srm has the same options as rm -- so see "man rm" (from Konsole))
            (-ll is two lower case letter "el"'s -- see the man page for rm)
            Overwriting files with utils like srm dose not guarantee that the data is erased on modern files systems as most modern filesystems use either journaling or copy on write to protect against data lose.

Comment

i am still having problems with this dialogue telling me to delete stuff manually because the trash is full even though i navigated directly to ~/.local/share/Trash/file <path to trash>/info and <path to trash>/Trash and ran rm in all three of them.

also there is an rm process that is using from 45 to 50% of my cpu capacity that seems to be serving no purpose..

any suggestions would be wonderful.

i am about ready to reinstall everything but i don't really want to.

Edit: the rm() process hogging cpu is visible with top.

Comment

How much hard drive space do you have in /home?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  How much hard drive space do you have in /home?
                  that is a good question what is the output of
                  Code:
                  df -h
                  VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Don't forget you can edit the trash size settings from within Dolphin's options.

Comment

Sounds like possible file system corruption may be causing the rm process to hang. Make sure you backup your data soon!

I would then boot up from a live cd or USB and check the file system using fsck.
                      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

hello everyone,

thank you for pitching in.

here is the diagnostic output some have requested.

oznola@<hostname>:~$ df -h
                        Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                        /dev/mapper/kubuntu-root 28G 18G 8.1G 69% /
                        udev 992M 4.0K 992M 1% /dev
                        tmpfs 402M 844K 401M 1% /run
                        none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
                        none 1004M 84K 1004M 1% /run/shm
                        none 100M 8.0K 100M 1% /run/user
                        /dev/sda1 228M 156M 61M 73% /boot
                        /home/oznola/.Private 28G 18G 8.1G 69% /home/oznola
                        /dev/mmcblk0p1 31G 31G 0 100% /media/AD14-2682
                        192.168.10.1:/home/storage 907G 60G 802G 7% /home/oznola/<Server name>
                        oznola@<hostname>:~$
                        running a backup is a good idea rod. i have been using the tardis plasmoid backing up my home dir to a local sd card. i like tardis.
                        Last edited by oznola; Feb 21, 2013, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Check out this old thread: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...empty-manually

And others by searching on "Trash".
                          Regards, John Little

Comment

bravo jlittle!

i shall look into that thread carefully. also i realized the mystry rm() using much of my cpu capacity may be the work of tardis running in the background. when the backup destination becomes full it removes older stuff to make room for more recent images.

this is worth consideration.

i am wondering if perhaps i should specify a temp directory on my server as the destination for the tardis backup images. of course that will happen over wireless nfs and i should consider what happens if i take my netbook away from home.
                            Last edited by oznola; Feb 21, 2013, 04:27 AM.

Comment

slightly off topic so sorry Oznola, and heads up; I think these kind of trash-can reports will increase with Steam porting to Linux. For instance I DL'd a ~3 GB steam client deb, this package wont so easy be trashed and must manually be removed on my system(and most common setups?)

By the looks of it Steam/Valve will port more games to Linux, with their usually huge packets. Maybe advising a larger /home partition could be a solution, I don't know enough about this issue to give any solutions.

b.r

jonas
                              Last edited by Jonas; Feb 21, 2013, 05:09 AM.
                              ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                              Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                              Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                              Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                              - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                              >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
                              X