Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(solved)Trash can has reached it's maximum size empty manually?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(solved)Trash can has reached it's maximum size empty manually?

I was waiting to bring this up cause of all the other issue I was having, but I can't move anything to trash. I am getting this message.

Trash can has reached it's maximum size empty manually.

Re: Trash can has reached it's limit empty manualy

So can't you just empty it using Konqueror/Dolphin?
    The contents of the two folders:
    /home/your_name/.local/share/Trash/files/*
    /home/your_name/.local/share/Trash/info/*

Or:
    rm -r /home/your_name/.local/share/Trash/files/*
    rm -r /home/your_name/.local/share/Trash/info/*

Or, install secure-delete package, so you'll have srm, then
    srm -ll -r /home/your_name/.local/share/Trash/files/*
    srm -ll -r /home/your_name/.local/share/Trash/info/*

(makes it so recovery is basically impossible)
    (ll = two lower case ell's => do just one zero pass over the files, wipe the files once with random numbers, then remove the files).

(man srm)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Trash can has reached it's maximum size empty manually?

no it's empty as far as I can tell. I can't even move anything to trash. I was having a problem with kdesudo not working and I had installed ossec hid wich has to be installed as root but that leaves the installation file owned by root in my downloads folder. So since I was having problems with kdesudo I used

gksudo dbus-launch dolphin

to empty it. Ever since I have not been able to move anything to trash. All though it's empty.

Comment

Check the permissions on your trash folders. Likey they got changed from your user to root:root

If that is the case, then change the ownership of them back to your user.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by BigCityCat

I had installed ossec hid wich has to be installed as root but that leaves the installation file owned by root in my downloads folder.
          Let me guess -- you had X running while you installed it.

It's always a mistake to perform root operations, including installing, using your /home user folder -- this is kind of a typical result, especially if you are running X at the time and the installer uses a GUI.

You might get things working right by deleting the root-owned stuff out of your /Downloads folder, then renaming or deleting the .ICEauthority and .Xauthority files in your /home user folder, and then logging back in. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            Check the permissions on your trash folders. Likey they got changed from your user to root:root

If that is the case, then change the ownership of them back to your user.
            Snowhog your my hero. Thanks all though I had to show hidden files to navigate to it and then change it which actually was something new for me.

Thanks again.

Comment

Re: (solved)Trash can has reached it's maximum size empty manually?

Happy to help in any way I can. Yes, the Trash folders are hidden - for our own protection! What you "can't see, you can't (readily) affect".

As dibl pointed out, running 'as root' within your user /home folder is not wise. If you must perform actions from the command line (CLI) 'as root,' either use kdesudo (yes, when it is functioning) command or, switch to the root user with:
              Code:
              sudo su -
              This switches you to root and uses root's environment, protecting your users account. In this way, you can run/install a downloaded package in your users /home directory by including the full path to the downloaded package. Using me as an example, and with somepackage as the downloaded file, this is what you would see.

Step 1. Open a console. You will see your users prompt:
              paul@myotherbrain:~$
              Setp 2. Become root:
              Code:
              paul@myotherbrain:~$sudo su -
              Provide your password and you then see roots prompt:
              root@myotherbrain:~#
              Step 3. Issue the command:
              Code:
              dpkg -i /home/paul/Downloads/somepackage
              After the package is installed:
              Step 4. Exit root:
              Code:
              root@myotherbrain:~#exit
              This returns you to your user prompt:
              paul@myotherbrain:~$
              Step 5. Close the console:
              Code:
              paul@myotherbrain:~$exit
              The one thing you need to learn and understand, is the difference between sudo and kdesudo and what they both do. Rule of thumb is this:

If working from the console, and you need to do something as root that does not involve launching a graphical application, preface the action with sudo, or become root first sudo su - (if you do use sudo su - you must keep in mind, that until type type 'exit' you will be root, so be very careful what you do).

If working from the console, or the desktop, and you need to run a graphical application 'as root' then use kdesudo command and NEVER use sudo command (unless you want to hose your system).

Comment

Ah see.... I didn't know about having to exit sudo su. I'm sure that is where my problem started. I will make sure I do that from now on. Thanks again.

I'm problem free, and the truth is I have had very few up until this upgrade and even that wasn't to bad. I have learned a lot about using Linux. I have been using it for about two years and at first I was barely using it. Now I have been using it almost exclusively for the last couple months. I'm starting to get it. The forums help a lot.

Comment

You will find a wealth of information on the TitleIndex - Community Ubuntu Documentation site. Probably more than you ever wanted to know, but a good place to know about.

Comment

Working...
                  X