Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best place to put log-in time bind mount commands for user folders?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best place to put log-in time bind mount commands for user folders?

I want to remove the personal folders (Documents, Downloads, etc.) from each users' home folder and place them in a separate subvolumes. I know I can very easily use symlinks to connect folders, but I prefer using bind mounts. The ultimate functionality would be for the users data folders (or even complete home) to mount when they log in and unmount when they log out.

So my question is: Where is the best place - using 15.04 - to do this? I have done it in Xsession in the past, but this was problematic because the $USER variable was root rather than the user logging in. I'm also aware we will be switching off of X11 in a couple more version so I'd like to get away from dependency on X11 execution.

Please Read Me

The package libpam-mount might satisfy your requirements. The Arch Wiki has some documentation.

Comment

I am wondering how the regular Kubuntu is doing it for eCryptfs seeing as that libpam-mount is not installed by default (on 14.10). It seems libpam-mount is limited to LUKS devices and file containers.

Personally I want to get rid of eCryptfs. I never liked it. I do not fancy file-by-file encryption modes. It also seems to take up a lot of space that is not really accounted for given the actual files present.

In order to get a different home-folder encryption setup I would need either LUKS or TrueCrypt.

LUKS means to use libpam-mount by default. I would need to check the documentation that you Steve linked to.

For TrueCrypt I would need a different kind of setup perhaps, but all the same nonetheless. I hope it would not be too complex. What you would get is:
      • just put a container inside /home/<user>/.truecrypt/
      • either unlock using the user password (PAM) or using a read-protected keyfile in /home/<user>/.tckey
      • get a small script to run that will do this based on a user log-on

I managed to get something working in terms of an encrypted container that gets mounted at user login. I'll make a different howto post about it.

I wrote something.... here: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...home-directory
      Last edited by xennex81; Mar 23, 2015, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X