Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy boot to USB using GRUB instead of your BIOS.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy boot to USB using GRUB instead of your BIOS.

If you have an older computer like I do, booting to a USB device can be difficult or even impossible. If you're using GRUB2 (the default boot loader for Kubuntu) there is an easy fix.

All you need to do is edit the file /etc/grub.d/40_custom and add this to the end of the file:

Code:
    menuentry 'Boot to USB' {
    set root='hd1,msdos1'
    chainloader +1
    }
    Then run "sudo update-grub" in a terminal and at your next reboot you'll see an entry labeled "Boot to USB."

IMPORTANT NOTES:

1. You must have root powers to edit your 40_custom file so either open a terminal and type "kdesudo kate /etc/grub.d/40_custom" or use your rootaction servicemenu entry to edit it as a text file.

2. The above entry assumes you only have a single hard drive on your system. If you have more than one, add the appropriate amount the the hdX entry. I.e. two hard drives, use hd2, three hard drives use hd3, and so on.

3. This also assumes your system automatically detects your USB device after your hard drives and assigns a device name accordingly. If your BIOS works differently, this may not work for you - but trying it won't break anything!
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jan 11, 2013, 01:55 PM.

Please Read Me

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    2. The above entry assumes you only have a single hard drive on your system. If you have more than one, add the appropriate amount the the hdX entry. I.e. two hard drives, use hd2, three hard drives use hd3, and so on.
    It's probably worth mentioning that one of GRUB's many quirks is that it starts numbering drives with zero. So on a single-drive machine, the internal drive is hd0, and therefore the USB drive should be given the next available name: hd1. On a two-drive machine, the internal drives are hd0 and hd1, and therefore the USB drive will be hd2. Etc.

Comment

Nice tip, oshunluvr -- thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X