This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot Boot Live USB

This will be for a dual boot Windows 10 Pro (already installed). The drive is an NVME M2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus. It is not RAID, but I do have RAID 1 drives set up on the SATA ports.
    So I have created a USB Boot disk and try to start up my system with it. I get to the menu, and select the try kubuntu option, and then bad things happen. Basically a bunch of unreadable text happens, and then it just stops. I have posted pictures. I have 3 monitors, one 4k, one 1080 monitor and one 1080 tv display (display port, display port, hdmi, respectively). So I tried again but first disconnected the 4k and TV. Same thing. Changed the 1080 monitor to a different display port output on the card, same thing.

Secure boot is off. I had this happen immediately after I built this PC about a month ago, but had to rebuild it. Last time all I did was recreate the boot USB, which I did again this time (did a fast format from Windows before building it).

MSI Tomahawk B450 with AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
    32 Gigabytes of RAM
    MSI Nvidia GeForce 1650 graphics card

Can someone help me out with this?

Regards,

BillRClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200520_102303.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	649639Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200520_102128.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	649640Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200520_102320.jpg
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	649641
    Attached Files

It could be either a) your NVidia Graphics or b) the version of the live installer (also could be "and", though…).

a) try booting the installer with the second option "Start Kubuntu (safe graphics)"
    or (and?)
    b) try the latest daily build of the Kubuntu 20.04 live installer: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/fo...-live/current/

I hope this will help.

PS: And please ask an admin to delete your duplicate thread.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 20, 2020, 02:30 PM. Reason: typos, as usual and PS
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Most likely, either your ISO isn't good or Rufus did a poor job. Check the ISO sha256 checksum, if it's good, download install and use Etcher instead, and try again. I did write a post on here a while ago on how to verify an ISO after it's been burned to a USB stick, but it's not trivial.

P.s. And of course, please don't duplicate post. I assume it was unintentional.
      Last edited by oshunluvr; May 20, 2020, 02:28 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Solved

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        It could be either a) your NVidia Graphics or b) the version of the live installer (also could be "and", though…).

a) try booting the installer with the second option "Start Kubuntu (safe graphics)"
        or (and?)
        b) try the latest daily build of the Kubuntu 20.04 live installer: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/fo...-live/current/

I hope this will help.

PS: And please ask an admin to delete your duplicate thread.
        Using "safe graphics" worked. Thank you.

I wonder why "safe graphics" isn't the default mode.

Etcher didn't work when I first installed it, but did after reboot to Windows. Fortunately I didn't need to redo the install as it was the graphics setting. Thanks for the help people.

Regards,

BillR

Comment

Working...
        X