Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best distros for noobies? An opinion piece.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best distros for noobies? An opinion piece.

A very common question: What's the best distro for a Linux beginner coming from Windows?

Most people answer with what distro would be best for them rather than what's best for the person asking. If only because they don't know the person asking well or at all. There's a lot of variation as to why someone might switch. I suspect there may be a lot of devoted Windows 7 users out there right now who are flummoxed because they've heard nothing good about Windows 10 but don't know what to do. I can't imagine a worse time for MS to have their latest vulnerability exposed on the eve of ending support for what might be their most popular release. Now may be the time to attract new users into the Linux fold.

The difficulty in giving an appropriate answer to the "which distro" question is because the question is more complex than one might think. It requires an understanding of the skills, desires, and resources of the beginner themselves.

Questions that might need to be answered before advising on a distro;

Is the subject...

(skills)
    ...a very skilled computer user leaving the Windows world behind? (A)
    ...a somewhat experienced user, but not really talented at operating system level things? (B)
    ...a totally non-skilled user? (C)

(desires)
    ...wanting to learn how the OS works and want to dig in? (A)
    ...wants to be able to make changes to things, but not really learn much about why or how? (B)
    ...could care less as long as it works and has what they need - like email and a web browser and maybe solitaire? (C)

(resources)
    ...has an experienced user close by or is very familiar with using the 'net to get information? (A)
    ...can reach out to the internet if needed, but would rather not if they don't have to? (B)
    ...is on an information island and has no time or desire to learn? (C)

A great example is when my then 70 year-old mother-in-law had yet another virus on her Windows 98 computer. I couldn't figure out why - she only used solitaire and email occasionally - and I got tired of fixing it. Turned out, my 15 year-old niece would stay at grandma's and use her computer and well, you can guess the rest. Since she (my mother-in-law) had me as a resource, I didn't even ask, I just installed Kubuntu 9.04 on her machine, set up her desktop with email, Firefox and solitaire icons and left it. She never complained again (my niece sure did, lol). In this case, "Mom" was a "CCA" user based on the above ratings. The distro itself really made no difference and since I was the maintainer I used what I wanted.

So back to the "which distro" question: I was browsing Reddit and there's very often posts asking this question, so how does one answer helpfully? I think one would need to access the above areas of the poster by asking questions and know enough about the distro to make a judgment as to where it fits on the scale.

To that end, I sometimes d/l and install various distros to Vbox and play with them. Today I chose "Mint 19.3 Cinnamon" because people often recommend Mint to new users and since I haven't used Gnome in decades I was totally unfamiliar with the latest Gnome variant. My judgement is it's an excellent choice for a wide range of those new to Linux. A "B" range user will have no trouble installing and using it and will probably be satisfied and most partial "C" users would be able to as well. They have a pretty good forum, excellent release notes that include solutions for common install problems, and the solid Ubuntu base.

I probably wouldn't recommend Kubuntu to someone who didn't hit at least one "A" category and no "C"s at all. Manjaro, or a slew of others would require at least two "A"s and a "B". I would not recommend a Ghome-ish desktop to any "A" user as it's just too locked down and obscure (not fun IMO).

Your thoughts or favorite distro to recommend, and why?
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jan 16, 2020, 03:57 PM. Reason: speeling

Please Read Me

Well I'd agree that Mint is probably a good choice and actually add that same emphasis regardless of the (A) selection. Because you state the question: What's the best distro for a Linux beginner coming from Windows?
    Mint should satisfy the OOTB experience and calm update process
    kubuntu 20.10

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbasher View Post
      Well I'd agree that Mint is probably a good choice and actually add that same emphasis regardless of the (A) selection. Because you state the question: What's the best distro for a Linux beginner coming from Windows?
      Mint should satisfy the OOTB experience and calm update process
      I think with an "A" in there, one could make a case to recommend Kubuntu because IMO an experienced Windows user or one who wants to expand their knowledge wouldn't find satisfaction or a challenge from Mint with Cinnamon. Plasma is much closer to the Windows DE in terms of configure-ability.

Please Read Me

Comment

I guess by "experienced" I mean "knowledgeable" which admittedly aren't the same thing.

Please Read Me

Comment

Randomness from me:

Mint's forum and information are akin to what Ubuntu was like in the very beginning, which imo is what made it a beginner distro, after the simple installer and simple but complete software selection. Mint, not having to actually build a core OS, seems to have the manpower to keep this going, while Ubuntu does not, or rather it is harder to find or spread out.

This is different than just plain documentation. Anyone can follow Arch's install instructions, I mean copypasta them into the terminal.

I am finding that there are a LOT of stupid/lazy people on Reddit, or my standards and patience levels have changed. No one knows how to scroll through a sub a few lines or pages, let alone *search*. Having said that, tbh poor search skills (or lack of trying) is not new at all. I am probably just tired, as well as out of touch. My sh** Just Works, mostly, and what doesn't (Adata sx8200 pro nvme ssd) I seem to find a resolution for in short order.

I just finished holding someone's hand on the KDE sub for a Wine issue for an Ubuntu user I definitely am losing my touch, if i ever had any. 45 minutes or more wasted.
          Well not wasted of course, but lost work time.
          Last edited by claydoh; Jan 16, 2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

People coming from WIndows will have the necessary click skills to run Kubuntu. What they will lack is the knowledge of the menu structure and of the application names that will do what they usually did while running Windows. They'll soon learn that LibreOffice is about the same as MS Office, even though its menu structure is different. KMail or Thunderbird works about like Microsoft's email app, but with different menu offerings and setup configurations. That's the necessary learning curve noobs have to endure. Type A's will have little trouble. Type C's will require a little or a lot of hand holding. Some will not endure, unless, like the wife of my long time friend, they experience a computer virus fraud that costs them hundred$ or more and give them an incentive to continue to learn.

I used to support around two dozen people my age who had quit Windows because of its various problems, or cost, and asked me to replace it "like I did with Joe". That began around 10 years ago but all of them have passed away.

Two years ago my next door neighbour, a retired banker, asked me to fix his Windows installation. I told him that I don't do Windows but I'd be glad to replace his Windows installation with an OS that is very stable and extremely difficult to get infected. He agreed and I installed Kubuntu 18.04. I spent an hour showing him the menu structure and KMail. He already was using FireFox so exporting that data to a USB stick and importing it back into FF was a no brainer. I showed him what to do when the update icon appeared in the system tray. I installed TImeShift and set it up to backup automatically on a regular basis, then I showed him how to do backup and restores. I made sure his printer printed and left. He's the only person I support.

About a year later he called and said FireFox was locked up on him and he couldn't browse. It was one of those ads that blocks the "X" and "<--" and other methods to close the tab. I cleared FF and showed him how to do it. That was about a year ago. Every time I ask him how Kubuntu is working his usual reply is "no problems".
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Very good thread, thanks to all.

My OS choice also depends on the hardware platforms available.

I have a 64bit laptop and run Kubuntu/KDE as my first choice. It is my 'production' system. I'm ready to move to 20.04 when it is released.

My 32bit systems, a laptop and a desktop, are both running Linux Mint 19.3 with the XFCE desktop.

I am, personally, in the A category, but I also have people in our household who run ONLY Win 10. They are, at best, in the B categories, as defined above. There is real fear in them about any move out of the Windows environment. Like GreyGeek, I 'don't do windows' and refuse to tell them anything about WSL (here lie dragons). I've given up trying to get them to change. I expect that, sometime in the future, Microsoft will make a big mistake and alienate many more of their users. I'm ready for that to happen...

I would recommend Mint with XFCE for newbies if they were coming from the Windows dungeon. None of the Windows users, that I know personally, are ready to be cold dropped into the KDE desktop. That can come later, after they have some Linux experience.
              Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                I am, personally, in the A category, but I also have people in our household who run ONLY Win 10. They are, at best, in the B categories, as defined above. There is real fear in them about any move out of the Windows environment. Like GreyGeek, I 'don't do windows' and refuse to tell them anything about WSL (here lie dragons). I've given up trying to get them to change. I expect that, sometime in the future, Microsoft will make a big mistake and alienate many more of their users. I'm ready for that to happen...
                You could simply tell your 'household' peeps that you have become weary of continually 'fixing' their Windows problems, and will, as of now, stop doing so. If they insist on running Windows they will have to learn how to deal with the issues that arise or, agree to switch to Linux, in which case you will be more than willing to help them in the transition. That, or they will have to start coughing up real money to have their PC's fixed by a repair shop each and every time it goes wonky. Tough love ya know!
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You know, oshunluvr is right. Most of the time the answer IS what distro is right for the responder. And unless a responder has spent a lot of time as a reviewer and has some experience on a variety of distros, that's just the way it's going to be. I have a LOT of experience with several distros, including BSDs. the problem is way too many of those distros are dead, or have morphed into something else over time. So that doesn't help, either.

I loved Rehat 5.2 from days of long ago. It came with an actual printed book with exacting install install and configuration descriptions. I learned a lot just fromthat darned book. That and Redhat 5.2 needed a lot of user input to be set up correctly. Now I can appreciate the lack of hand-holding with current distros. Follow a couple of screens fill in some obvious information, tap and clock here and there. Then sit back and watch the installer do its thing!

The "now" way is great for getting up and running. The "then" way was in some ways much better for both getting up and running and actually learning something about Linux, but not "way back" like Slackware on a gajillion floppy disks and no GUI. I'd rather jump out a basement window than go through that Slackware crap again.

So I guess it's all kind of relative, and cyclical like everything in life. We do what we can do for others, and it ain't perfect.
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

And I think something that should be added to the list for a successful transition to Linux for noobs, is a supportive forum (like ours!) for the distro being considered. I still remember my initial venture from Windows to Linux, and it wasn't a warm and tingly one, and I'm a AAA computer user (per oshunluvr's categorization)! Honestly, it was Kubuntu Linux and this forum in particular that allowed me to make the transition successfully.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@Snowhog, I've already stopped trying to fix their Windows systems. They are on their own unless they let me install Linux... Yeah, it is costing them money... Not me though. I think the monetary pain level has not risen enough. I think they did have to use their install disks to put Win 10 back on one system, but I looked at it as a lesson for them.

Honestly, I think Microsoft will shoot themselves in the foot and alienate many users. They took one more step by dropping Win 7 support... Note Microsoft is attempting to enter the Linux universe... They may be waving a white flag, but they are still the old Microsoft - Extend, Engulf, Extinguish... Sadly, I think they have Torvalds with his back against the wall at the Linux Foundation.
                      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Well said, Snowhog!
                        The next brick house on the left
                        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Best distro? Irrelevant. Whether they're A or Z.
                          An AA+ would already be familiar with Linux anyway.

It's not the DE. It's the whole paradigm. I mean, you must have tried to show people how good Linux is. Maybe even convinced them to install it.
                          Well, they need a lot of hand-holding. If they tried to install it by themselves... they failed.
                          If you did it for them... they called you every day for quite a while to ask the silliest questions.

They might as well, whatever letter they start with, use KDE right away. Chances are a lot better that at least they'd like it, and be motivated enough to learn to use it.

Comment

Working...
                          X