This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, I downloaded the service menu, but the page says:

"To install, place the "subvol_manager.desktop" file and the "subvol_manager-scripts" folder and it's contents into:

~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus"

I'm in ~/.local/share and I don't see any kservices folder. I just created "kservices5" and "ServiceMenus" and it worked fine.
    https://madmage999.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MadMage999 View Post
      Hmm, I downloaded the service menu, but the page says:

"To install, place the "subvol_manager.desktop" file and the "subvol_manager-scripts" folder and it's contents into:

~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus"

I'm in ~/.local/share and I don't see any kservices folder. I just created "kservices5" and "ServiceMenus" and it worked fine.
      yes that is correct.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by MadMage999 View Post
        Oh, that's okay, Vinny. I didn't mean you had to come up with something. I believe there's a write-up on using btrfs snapshots around here somewhere, or someone could chime in, or I could GTS. :-D

--EDIT--

For anyone who might be looking for btrfs snapshots for backing up systems I submit this link.
        I bookmarked that link earlier this summer. I dismissed it for the same reasons that I dismissed snapper, TimeShift and some other backup tools of this genra that use the same locations for snapshots. Snapper creates its snapshots in /home/user/.snapshots and /root/.snapshots. In my tutorial in the BTRFS subforum I explain why I think those locations are not good. I also explain why mounting the live filesystem to /mnt, which makes /mnt the <ROOT_FS>, is better.

Basically, IMO, nothing I've seen so far beats the tools that BTRFS supplies to make and restore snapshots and backups. The BTRFS command puts EVEYTHING into the snapshot. Using the increment command in BTRFS send (-p) creates a snapshot on the destination by only sending over what has changed since the previous snapshot. Send my entire @ and @home to the archive disk using send & receive takes a total of about 30 minutes. Using the incremental option archiving both @ and @home takes less than 3 minutes.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X