This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18.04 upgrade and backup options

well tonight I got the notification for the upgrade to 18.04 on my Neon-/dev/stable ,,,, I am going to take it BUT

this is a rather well modified system and I am expecting problems , it's using the Nvidia-396 from the graphics drivers PPA and as of 2 days ago it still was not ready for Bionic on a bionic install .
    the system was originally Kubuntu-16.04 that has the Neon-/dev/stable repo added to it , so their may be some concern their as well .

lots of other PPA's as well , that I know will be disabled as part of the upgrade .

I'm not looking for a no don't do it or a yes , go for it it is going to happen .

what I am looking for is some guidance in backing it all up so I can restore it if it goes south .
    it lives on ext4 so no snapshot options like the 2 of my 5 systems I have already done that live on BTRFS .
    /home is in / and not on a different partition and @current / is 27G

I plan (so far) to use rsync , the questions that I think I need to ask so far are ,

1-can this be done from the running system , I assume not ?
    2- should something like this work
    mount the / partition "mount -t ext4 /dev/sda6 /mnt/test" , mount the storage drive "mount -t btrfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/btrfs " and have a directory named "backup" on sdb1

Code:
    sudo rsync -azvv /mnt/test /mnt/btrfs/backup
    ?

and any other things you all can think of .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

That's exactly how I am backing up my $HOME at the moment, as I am planning a fresh install so I can have full disk encryption. Ubuntu dropped the encrypted $HOME, so upgrading from 16.04 to 18.04 breaks this, and you can't log in to a GUI without installing the now-unsupported ecryptfs package :O ,
    I think Riddell et al over on Neon modified the upgrade tool to fix this, but I tested upgrading early, highlighting this problem.

Now, I have not seen how restoring works yet, I have not tested.

Oh, yeah, I am backing up from a running session.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      That's exactly how I am backing up my $HOME at the moment, as I am planning a fresh install so I can have full disk encryption. Ubuntu dropped the encrypted $HOME, so upgrading from 16.04 to 18.04 breaks this, and you can't log in to a GUI without installing the now-unsupported ecryptfs package :O ,
      I think Riddell et al over on Neon modified the upgrade tool to fix this, but I tested upgrading early, highlighting this problem.
      I saw your (and others) reports on the "ecryptfs" problem.

Now, I have not seen how restoring works yet, I have not tested.
      O ,I may wate for you to chime back in on that.

Oh, yeah, I am backing up from a running session.
      my worry is trying to backup / wile running , that may be a bit different than just $HOME , so I will be doing the backup from a different install , probably

VINNY
      16GB RAM

Comment

well couldn't wait any longer so I gust started the backup with this

Code:
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo rsync -aAXvh --progress /mnt/sda6/ --exclude={/cdrom,/dev,/lost+found,/media,/proc,/run,/sys,/tmp} /mnt/sdb1/backup
        we will see what we will see

after this completes we will start the upgrade.

VINNY

26.89G in 25min ,,,,,15.77M bytes/sec , backup done .
        Last edited by vinnywright; Sep 28, 2018, 06:49 PM.
        16GB RAM

Comment

crossing fingers ,,,and starting the upgrade.

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

LOL upgrade went ok , but the upgrader disabled the neon repo in my /etc/apt/sources.list ?

I got a warning that "neon-desktop" could not be installed (before it started) , I think , ya well we will deal with that after the fact .
            then at the end wile reviewing the packages to be removed I see "plasma-desktop" , and think , ya well we will deal with that after the fact as well , at worst I'll find my self in a TTY trying to fix things

so after the reboot I'm in a desktop with no wallpaper , clicking the desktop dose nothing , no menu, , yakuake works, krunner works, their is a taskbar but no taskmanager and conky works.

any way I launch krunner(alt+F2) get dolphin open /etc/apt/sources.list with kate and un-comment the neon line , then F12 to yakuake and
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            600+ packages , then
            Code:
            sudo apt install plasma-desktop neon-desktop
            , reboot , looks like all is well .

Kodi is gone , will see what else as time goes on

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Does rsync actually back up files that are running as processes or are open by some other method, or do they silently skip them?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

screen shot

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  Does rsync actually back up files that are running as processes or are open by some other method, or do they silently skip them?
                  I am not sure of the way it acts on open files , I did the backup from a different system installed on this box , (their are 5 of them) so the / root I was copying was not in use .

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

from the post I got the base command from .

Please be mindful that this is suitable for local and stand-alone systems only. If your system is being actively accessed by some other systems on the network, it isn’t better solution. Because, the contents of these systems might be constantly updated every minute, and some files may change during the rsync process. Say for example, when rsync will reach the file 2, the contents of the previous file (File 1) might be changed. This will leave you with a dependency error when you will need to use that backup. In such cases, a snapshot-based backup is the better approach. Because the system will get “froze” before the backup process starts and get it “unfreeze” when the backup process finishes, so all the files are consistent.
                    VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      I'm interested in this as well. I need a good way to sync/backup running systems to an ssh/sftp server. I suppose I could use btrfs for all the systems needing backed up.
                      https://madmage999.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MadMage999 View Post
                        I'm interested in this as well. I need a good way to sync/backup running systems to an ssh/sftp server. I suppose I could use btrfs for all the systems needing backed up.
                        truly I have no idea , this is the first time I have used it at all , and did a fare amount of googleing to to get the line (slightly modified by me with the help of "man rsync" ) that I used.

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Oh, that's okay, Vinny. I didn't mean you had to come up with something. I believe there's a write-up on using btrfs snapshots around here somewhere, or someone could chime in, or I could GTS. :-D

--EDIT--

For anyone who might be looking for btrfs snapshots for backing up systems I submit this link.
                          Last edited by MadMage999; Sep 29, 2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMage999 View Post
                            Oh, that's okay, Vinny. I didn't mean you had to come up with something. I believe there's a write-up on using btrfs snapshots around here somewhere, or someone could chime in, or I could GTS. :-D

--EDIT--

For anyone who might be looking for btrfs snapshots for backing up systems I submit this link.
                            Aaaa I thought you were speaking of "rsync" exclusively.

BTRFS snapshots are easy as pie if your system is in a btrfs file system , (I have 2 installs in 1 BTRFS file system ) that I will take snapshots of for easily recovering if somthing goes wrong in a upgrade or a large update .

in fact one of our senior members @oshunluvr has a Dolphin service menu for doing this he created . hear https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1214134/

see this link ,,, https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ice-menu/page3

it works quite well IMO

screen shot ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Very nice! Thanks for the info and the linkage. I'm going to try that service menu right now.

I thought about using rsync but I figure I already know btrfs can do it without worrying about it being a live filesystem, so I'll go with that.

Also, there's this: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index....emental_Backup
                              "IncrementalInstant, Atomic COW Snapshots Since the snapshots are atomic, when a snapshot is restored it appears to applications as if a power loss had occurred (and the filesystem has gone back to an earlier state). Thus it is possible to backup databases without stopping them beforehand.

Snapshot Transfer
                              Efficiently determining and streaming the differences between two snapshots if they are either snapshots of the same underlying subvolume, or have a parent-child relationship. This is far quicker than e.g. rsync could, especially on large file systems. (For instance, rsync cannot be aware of mere metadata changes like filename, location etc but the FS itself is certainly aware of it.) "

--EDITED--

Oops missed part of that quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X