Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some help, How to run a GUI session as root?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some help, How to run a GUI session as root?

Hello,
    I need to be able to run a full GUI session as root in the latest kubuntu (18.xx LTS).
    I understand this is a bad idea and I take full responsibility for any damage I cause to my installation.
    I won't be using the root account all the time, only for certain things- all of which can certainly be done using sudo or su from a terminal- but I'd rather use a full GUI session while doing so.
    And I won't keep the internet connected while logged in as root.
    If this information cannot be provided in public, please send me an email (I have opted to receive emails from moderators while signing up).
    The distro I currently use (opensuse leap 42.3) allows a full GUI session as root, and I haven't broken it even once while running as root- of course I do it very rarely, but the point is, if I'm careful enough, I can run a GUI session as root. And Linux is all about freedom (as in free speech)- I should be able to use my system the way I want to- even if it's a bad way- isn't it?
    Thank you..

Spammer: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php/73478-How-to-run-a-GUI-session-as-root?highlight=GUI+session+root

EDIT: Could actually be the same person. Do Admins get to see IP addresses?
    Last edited by SpecialEd; May 25, 2018, 09:00 PM.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Smells like a spammer.
      Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
      tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
        Spammer: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php/73478-How-to-run-a-GUI-session-as-root?highlight=GUI+session+root

EDIT: Could actually be the same person. Do Admins get to see IP addresses?
        Yes we do. There are spam blocking tools in place but not everything can be detected. Anyone patient enough to try will eventually get on. We block them and report them to Stop Forum Spam when they're found. The system also reports duplicate user IPs to us - a common spammer detection.

There's a internet coffee shop in Viet Nam we regularly see spammers from. The thing that befuddles me is why? What are they getting from this? I guess if they we undetected, they could post a link to some website that somehow would pay them?

Does anyone on this forum or others like it actually click on links from random posters that are clearly not participating in the forum in a normal manner?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Yes we do. There are spam blocking tools in place but not everything can be detected. Anyone patient enough to try will eventually get on. We block them and report them to Stop Forum Spam when they're found. The system also reports duplicate user IPs to us - a common spammer detection.

There's a internet coffee shop in Viet Nam we regularly see spammers from. The thing that befuddles me is why? What are they getting from this? I guess if they we undetected, they could post a link to some website that somehow would pay them?

Does anyone on this forum or others like it actually click on links from random posters that are clearly not participating in the forum in a normal manner?
          Often they have a link in their signature for whatever business they are trying to push, not the case here. I have been the Admin on a Firearms/shooting forum for about 15 years and a common approach there was to make a few posts to gain trust then offer up something for sale. Buyers would never receive their products and the OP usually was in Nigeria or somewhere just as hard to reach. The first thing I do when I get a suspicious new member is compare their IP to where they claim to be from.
          If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
          X