Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[System] How to run a GUI session as root?

Hello,
    I need to be able to run a full GUI session as root in the latest kubuntu (18.xx LTS).
    I understand this is a bad idea and I take full responsibility for any damage I cause to my installation.
    I won't be using the root account all the time, only for certain things- all of which can certainly be done using sudo or su from a terminal- but I'd rather use a full GUI session while doing so.
    And I won't keep the internet connected while logged in as root.
    If this information cannot be provided in public, please send me an email (I have opted to receive emails from moderators while signing up).
    The distro I currently use (opensuse leap 42.3) allows a full GUI session as root, and I haven't broken it even once while running as root- of course I do it very rarely, but the point is, if I'm careful enough, I can run a GUI session as root. And Linux is all about freedom (as in free speech)- I should be able to use my system the way I want to- even if it's a bad way- isn't it?
    Thank you..

Sure you can do whatever you want to --including searching for how to enable the root account in Ubuntu
    It is not hard to find, and the info is even available on Ubuntu's wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Sure you can do whatever you want to --including searching for how to enable the root account in Ubuntu
      It is not hard to find, and the info is even available on Ubuntu's wiki.
      Well, if you knew the solution, you could have posted it instead of that, lol.

But anyway, I did a search, and all i came up with was how to add a password to the root account, and i know how to use the passwd command- that's NOT what I'm trying to accomplish.
      I want to run a full GUI session, not learn about the ability to use su in a console - perhaps you shoulda read my post..

I did come across another thread that discusses running KDE GUI applications using kdesudo <program_name>, but that's NOT what my original post asks.

Looks like my searching skills are not as bright as yours, well at least my people skills are better. If I knew something and someone asked about it in the forum, I wouldn't act all smartypants and uncouth.

Comment

Oh, and don't bother posting the solution.
        I wouldn't use a distro with a support forum that's got ill mannered admins.
        I know it doesn't matter since I'm not a paying customer.
        I'll pray for you, hope you get better bro.
        Logic suggests your next move's gonna be banning me. Feel free.

Comment

I didn't think I was being rude, and it was not my intention. Just giving hints that might get you on your path. Many of us have been down this road before over the years and are of the opinion that if you want to do this, you will have to do a little investigation and diy work.

Actually, my suggestion is only the first step. Plasma's login manager (SDDM) does not readily support a root GUI login, some search results indicate it may be able to, with some tweaks.

Now, here I will be a little rude:
          Yes, you are free to do as you will with your system. And this is a help forum. But many feel that helping people screw up their systems is not actually providing help. I split the difference between helping or not helping by providing hints. Take it as you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Yes, you are free to do as you will with your system. And this is a help forum. But many feel that helping people screw up their systems is not actually providing help. I split the difference between helping or not helping by providing hints. Take it as you wish.
            @TrapperJohnMD: I can understand how it feels like this forum isn't being helpful. but I have to agree with claydoh, this is not how ubuntu (especially kubuntu [I'll touch on this in a minute] works). I remember logging into various linux distros as root back in the day... mandrake, mepis, kubuntu... to do EVERYTHING as root, but this isn't how it works anymore. Most of the time there are ways to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish by staying logged in as yourself. Is it easy, not always, but most of the time the end result is the same. Mind you, KDE (plamsa) 5 is making that a bit harder now days then I think it should be, but this is for the security and welfare of your system! Enabling root can have some major side effects, the first one that comes to mind is someone not fully understanding what they are doing and torching their whole system (and at that point who do they blame, the distro and the forum members who allowed this to happen, even when it was not their fault). claydoh was simply stating "if you want to do this, buyer beware and with that comes some time you have to spend figuring it out".

Back in KDE4 there was an add-on called root-menuactions (I forget the exact name, I apologize) that you could install and it would allow a lot of control over your system within dolphin, but v5 (for security reasons) decided to rewrite some of this code and thus broke this "ease of acces". Again, I know how it can seem unfair, but the whole goal is to make you a better digital citizen with less chances of getting pwned.

Originally posted by TrapperJohnMD View Post
            I could be wrong and you could actually break the code of conduct, but that comment will not get you banned here. We may disagree, but that is how life works. We all have free will and free opinion, but as long as you are not maliciously attacking people (for whatever reason) your opinion counts. I hope you find your answers. If you need insight on how do this properly please let us know.
            Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
            tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by TrapperJohnMD View Post
              Nope, nothing here to warrant that.

Comment

Answer is here -- read it all, including next-to-last post.

Comment

How to run a GUI session as root?

The only things that get banned on this forum are spam bots and people who make personal attacks.

In the”OutOfFocus” forum we often have intense discussions that represent all parts of the political spectrum. Sometimes we agree to disagree but all the time we are respectful of others and refrain from ad hominem attacks.

I’ve been on this forum for six years and I can’t recall a single person who was banned for expressing their opinion on any matter. KFN isn’t Facebook or Twitter. It is Free Speech with decorum.

Our common interest here is a love of FOSS, KDE, Kubuntu and Neon, although all questions about hardware and distros are answered, including questions about Windows.

If your handle implies that you are an MD you aren’t the first to visit and join.

Rocky start, but welcome to KFN!
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Don't waste your time on this thread, there are better things to do.

Damn, just did it myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X