This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup oh where to start

hi all as the title suggests im looking at backing up my server incase of a data loss or hardware failure and its generally a good thing to be doing.

so here is my situation 1tb worth of media video's music etc and I need a way of compressing and backing up the data to another 1tb drive.

I would like the backup files to be as small as possible and still be able to fully restore the media incase i am unable to salvage or use the original hdd.

this helps in the area of finding a hdd big enough each time i need to back up and the total size of the files to backup will increase as i add more media to my collection.

thanks in advance fo all your help.

ATB yoda

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
    Tutorials:
    Yoda's ownCloud Installation on Kubuntu 20.04

I use a drive that is slightly larger than the drive I am backing up.
    Then I use Clonezilla and back up the smaller drive to the larger drive.

The only reason I don't use one of the same size is that I once cloned the wrong way (when using the same size drive) and that was no fun.
    Using a larger one tells me which way things should be going in Clonezilla.
    If your main drive fails just switch to the slightly larger drive.
    Greg
    W9WD

Comment

good idea but say i have 3.2tb worth of data it would be difficult to get hold of another 4tb drive

Tutorials:

Comment

In case you want Clonezilla or just want to read about it.
        Greg
        W9WD

Comment

Backup stratagies abound, and settling on one can be a dounting task for the un-initiated. But, once you 'get there', the benefits are huge.

Read through this article: https://opensource.com/article/17/1/rsync-backup-linux
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

what about space saving im not to botherd about easy access baxlups will be perfomed once a week, but the smaller the final backup size the better

Tutorials:

Comment

So, to be clear, you aren't talking about backing up your system; the entire OS; just your media collection, is that right?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                So, to be clear, you aren't talking about backing up your system; the entire OS; just your media collection, is that right?
                thats correct Snowhog

Tutorials:

Comment

Snowhog, that was an interesting article on rsync. Thanks for the link!
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by hightokeinyoda View Post
                    ... 1tb worth of media video's music etc and I need a way of compressing and backing up the data to another 1tb drive.
                    You will probably gain almost nothing trying to compress most media files as they are already compressed. In fact, you may even end up with slightly larger files in some cases.
                    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I agree with Rod J about compression.

Your backup strategy will depend on your budget and desires. IMO by far the simplest solution is to use two identical drives and mirror - I do this on my server. Mirroring is not technically a backup - it won't save you from an accidental deletion for example. But with two identically sized drives, a simple "rsync -a" will make a backup. If you're using btrfs like I do, a snapshot sent to another drive is super simple and doesn't require identical drives.

You might also explain in detail what type of system you're using. A laptop with a single drive will be a different set of tasks than a desktop with more options available.
                      Last edited by oshunluvr; Apr 01, 2018, 09:01 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

at the moment im stuck using a dell optiplex system untill i can upgrade my system, at the moment i am limited to one ide channel which im using for my 20gb os drive, and one sata port which is been used fory 1tb media drive.

when i upgrade systems it will free up this dell machine for use as a backup machine

Tutorials:

Comment

KBackup is a nice solution, recently ported to Plasma 5. Also, it will come standard in Plasma 5.13, due next month. One of the nice things about it is that you can select whether to use compression on the backup profile or not. There's a recent article about it here:

KDE Plasma Gets KBackup In Upcoming Version 5.13 - Here's A Quick Look

If anyone's interested, I can post build instructions here if someone wants to install the latest release without waiting. I assume it's already present in KDE Neon Dev Stable (maybe someone van confirm?).
                          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                          K*Digest Blog
                          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                            KBackup is a nice solution, recently ported to Plasma 5. Also, it will come standard in Plasma 5.13, due next month. One of the nice things about it is that you can select whether to use compression on the backup profile or not. There's a recent article about it here:

If anyone's interested, I can post build instructions here if someone wants to install the latest release without waiting. I assume it's already present in KDE Neon Dev Stable (maybe someone van confirm?).
                            Interesting for those not using Btrfs. I looked to see what technology it was using to make the backups but didn't find any reference to that in the article. I suspect that it uses rsync, which can to full or incremental backups.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post

i think this may be it bro nice find ill wait u its release so i don't make a hash out of it

Tutorials:

Comment

Working...
                              X