This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Provide Kubuntu Minimal installer with pure KDE like in Ubuntu 18.04

Will be good to provide Kubuntu Minimal installer with clean KDE install, like done in Ubuntu 18.04 installer: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/...install-option

This installer will install only pure KDE & Plasma without any additional packages.

I've been also wondering if this is a planned feature for 18.04 or perhaps a future version?

Comment

There's always the minimal install to which you can add plasma-desktop and whatever else.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

We already have a partly implemented minimal install option in Kubuntu 18.04.

It is being tweaked still.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pure KDE", but a minimal install will still include and VLC as a media player, and some GTK dependant things like Firefox for a web browser;

If we can persuade the installer to show Kubuntu specific wording on the options page, it might end up looking something like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MUXEsYL.png
Views:	1
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	643815
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Glad to hear it's being worked on, and thank you for the quick reply!

Comment

At least we can also install another set of browsers (more than one) and change the default browser to the one of our choice.

I was once a Firefox(r) proponent, but not any more.

I now use a Firefox(r) fork (Pale Moon) as my default browser and only keep others for testing purposes.

[rant off]
            Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Sorry for the stupid question, but isn't that what KDE Neon already is (not in iso size but concept)?
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Here's more: http://people.canonical.com/%7Eubunt...minimal-remove

From https://www.reddit.com/r/Kubuntu/com...stall_in_1804/
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                  Sorry for the stupid question, but isn't that what KDE Neon already is (not in iso size but concept)?
                  Sort of. The goal of KDEneon is not meant to be the minimal KDE install, but it works out that way.

Looking at some VMs I have;

Kubuntu 16.04: Installed 9.5GB, ISO 1.5GB
                  Kubuntu 18.04: Installed 6.6GB, ISO 1.6GB
                  KDEneon (User ed.): Installed 5.2GB, ISO 1.2GB

There's definitely less installed by default with KDEneon, but that's not the primary intention of the developers.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

There's definitely less installed by default with KDEneon, but that's not the primary intention of the developers.
                    That’s part of what Iike about Neon: it installs what I need, I install what I want.

No space wasted on unused apps & utilities and no time wasted sending & receiving bloated snapshots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                      At least we can also install another set of browsers (more than one) and change the default browser to the one of our choice.

I was once a Firefox(r) proponent, but not any more.

I now use a Firefox(r) fork (Pale Moon) as my default browser and only keep others for testing purposes.

[rant off]
                      Thankee...I'm gonna try PaleMoon
                      woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

well
                        I installed the .deb from:

https://www.palemoon.org/

it seems to be "ok" but my very first comment...

is that when one opens it...it is under "internet'...one is presented with an almost IDENTICAl page to that of a now defunct distro with which I was involved long, long ago and far far away...

that is ok...Linux is all about choice and cross pollination and it IS a defunct distro... lol

but...curiouser and curiouser...lol

woodwilltryitout...it does default to Duck Duck Go is my search engine of choice smoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

woodsmoke, I don't understand what you mean about:
                          is that when one opens it...it is under "internet'...one is presented with an almost IDENTICAl page to that of a now defunct distro with which I was involved long, long ago and far far away...
                          More details please?
                          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            Sort of. The goal of KDEneon is not meant to be the minimal KDE install, but it works out that way.

Looking at some VMs I have;

Kubuntu 16.04: Installed 9.5GB, ISO 1.5GB
                            Kubuntu 18.04: Installed 6.6GB, ISO 1.6GB
                            KDEneon (User ed.): Installed 5.2GB, ISO 1.2GB

Yupp. My question was more rhetorical in nature

I'm excited for when Neon moves to 18.04, but I hope they wait until the ".1" milestone before upgrading, at least for User Ed.
                            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                            K*Digest Blog
                            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I like the minimalist installation of Neon. It allows me to add what I want without having to remove what I don't.

However, as the old saying goes, you can't make everyone happy all of the time. So just target for the majority. Either way, thin or fat, I'd take Neon on top of Btrfs any day.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X