This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMail has stopped working. "Akonadi not operational"

Kmail works well, but this is one software a bit difficult to understand with my limited knowledge. From one week Kmail is not working, it gives an error. I cannot pinpoint when it started giving problem, but it think it happened after update and distribution upgrade.

Error: "The Akonadi personal information management service is not operational."

None of the solutions explained in web search and forum search work. can I remove and re-install Kmail
    Thanks for any advice to correct the problem

see
    man akonadictl for methods to control akonadi
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      see
      man akonadictl for methods to control akonadi
      Problem seems to be akonadi is not starting.
      root@muglurmat-desktop:/usr/bin# sudo aa-complain /usr/sbin/mysqld
      Profile for /usr/sbin/mysqld not found, skipping

can you help me correct this. I am searching and trying to correct it by myself, Just installed apparmor-utils.
      I keep trying so that I can learn, max I can do some irreparable damage !

Lost resort you great guys are there to pull me back to land, without drowning :-)

Comment

The "apparmor-utils" is a package to operate on apparmor profiles. That probably killed KMail, MySQLD and Akonadi.
        Since systemd now controls all services and profiles it would be best if you purged that package.
        sudo apt-get purge apparmor-utils

Did you run
        sudo akonadictl start?
        If so, paste the output in your next post. If not, run it. If it and KMail starts we're done. If not post the output in your next reponse. Also, report what is in ~./local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error

My KMail works fine and akonadi is running.
        Here is what mmy apparmor.service looks like:
        Code:
        jerry@jerry-Aspire-7739:~$ [COLOR=#ff0000]systemctl status apparmor[/COLOR]
        ● apparmor.service - LSB: AppArmor initialization
           Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/apparmor; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
           Active: active (exited) since Fri 2016-09-23 11:00:50 CDT; 24min ago
             Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
          Process: 435 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/apparmor start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Sep 23 11:00:48 jerry-Aspire-7739 systemd[1]: Starting LSB: AppArmor initialization...
        Sep 23 11:00:48 jerry-Aspire-7739 apparmor[435]:  * Starting AppArmor profiles
        Sep 23 11:00:50 jerry-Aspire-7739 apparmor[435]: Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.bin.firefox
        Sep 23 11:00:50 jerry-Aspire-7739 apparmor[435]: Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.sbin.rsyslogd
        Sep 23 11:00:50 jerry-Aspire-7739 apparmor[435]:    ...done.
        Sep 23 11:00:50 jerry-Aspire-7739 systemd[1]: Started LSB: AppArmor initialization.
        jerry@jerry-Aspire-7739:~
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 23, 2016, 10:56 AM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

The "apparmor-utils" is a package to operate on apparmor profiles. That probably killed KMail, MySQLD and Akonadi.
          Since systemd now controls all services and profiles it would be best if you purged that package.
          sudo apt-get purge apparmor-utils

Did you run
          sudo akonadictl start?
          If so, paste the output in your next post. If not, run it. If it and KMail starts we're done. If not post the output in your next reponse. Also, report what is in ~./local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error

My KMail works fine and akonadi is running.
          Here is what mmy apparmor.service looks like:
          Code:
          jerry@jerry-Aspire-7739:~$ [COLOR=#ff0000]systemctl status apparmor[/COLOR]
          ● apparmor.service - LSB: AppArmor initialization
             Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/apparmor; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
             Active: active (exited) since Fri 2016-09-23 11:00:50 CDT; 24min ago
               Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
            Process: 435 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/apparmor start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Sep 23 11:00:48 jerry-Aspire-7739 systemd[1]: Starting LSB: AppArmor initialization...
          Sep 23 11:00:48 jerry-Aspire-7739 apparmor[435]:  * Starting AppArmor profiles
          Sep 23 11:00:50 jerry-Aspire-7739 apparmor[435]: Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.bin.firefox
          Sep 23 11:00:50 jerry-Aspire-7739 apparmor[435]: Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.sbin.rsyslogd
          Sep 23 11:00:50 jerry-Aspire-7739 apparmor[435]:    ...done.
          Sep 23 11:00:50 jerry-Aspire-7739 systemd[1]: Started LSB: AppArmor initialization.
          jerry@jerry-Aspire-7739:~
          Thank you GreyGeek,
          Not getting much time to work on system. for another three months I will be busy. Sold the farm and moving to live with my daughter. Buying a property in the same building where my daughter.
          These below are the two output.
          Thanks for any help.

After purge
          muglurmat@muglurmat-desktop:~$ sudo akonadictl start
          Starting Akonadi Server...
          done.
          muglurmat@muglurmat-desktop:~$ Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
          search paths: ("/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/bin", "/usr/sbin", "/usr/bin", "/sbin", "/bin", "/snap/bin", "/usr/sbin", "/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/libexec", "/usr/libexec", "/opt/mysql/libexec", "/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin", "/opt/mysql/sbin")
          Found mysql_install_db: "/usr/bin/mysql_install_db"
          Found mysqlcheck: "/usr/bin/mysqlcheck"
          Database process exited unexpectedly during initial connection!
          executable: "/usr/sbin/mysqld-akonadi"
          arguments: ("--defaults-file=/home/muglurmat/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf", "--datadir=/home/muglurmat/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/", "--socket=/tmp/akonadi-root.h2iQcY/mysql.socket")
          stdout: ""
          stderr: "2016-09-25T06:18:01.783085Z 0 [Warning] The syntax '--log_warnings/-W' is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Please use '--log_error_verbosity' instead.\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.783211Z 0 [Warning] TIMESTAMP with implicit DEFAULT value is deprecated. Please use --explicit_defaults_for_timestamp server option (see documentation for more details).\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.783233Z 0 [Warning] 'NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER' sql mode was not set.\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.783291Z 0 [Warning] Insecure configuration for --secure-file-priv: Current value does not restrict location of generated files. Consider setting it to a valid, non-empty path.\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.783343Z 0 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld (mysqld 5.7.15-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) starting as process 2291 ...\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.789853Z 0 [Warning] Can't create test file /home/muglurmat/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/muglurmat-desktop.lower-test\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.789917Z 0 [Warning] Can't create test file /home/muglurmat/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/muglurmat-desktop.lower-test\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.789941Z 0 [ERROR] Fatal error: Please read "Security" section of the manual to find out how to run mysqld as root!\n\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.789964Z 0 [ERROR] Aborting\n\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.789995Z 0 [Note] Binlog end\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.790085Z 0 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete\n\n"
          exit code: 1
          process error: "Unknown error"
          terminating service threads
          terminating connection threads
          stopping db process
          Failed to remove Unix socket
          Failed to remove runtime connection config file
          Application 'akonadiserver' exited normally...

Last edited by vsmmath; Sep 25, 2016, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vsmmath View Post
            Thank you GreyGeek,
            Not getting much time to work on system. for another three months I will be busy. Sold the farm and moving to live with my daughter. Buying a property in the same building where my daughter.
            These below are the two output.
            Thanks for any help.

After purge
            muglurmat@muglurmat-desktop:~$ sudo akonadictl start
            done.
            muglurmat@muglurmat-desktop:~$ Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
            search paths: ("/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/bin", "/usr/sbin", "/usr/bin", "/sbin", "/bin", "/snap/bin", "/usr/sbin", "/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/libexec", "/usr/libexec", "/opt/mysql/libexec", "/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin", "/opt/mysql/sbin")
            arguments: ("--defaults-file=/home/muglurmat/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf", "--datadir=/home/muglurmat/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/", "--socket=/tmp/akonadi-root.h2iQcY/mysql.socket")
            stderr: "2016-09-25T06:18:01.783085Z 0 [Warning] The syntax '--log_warnings/-W' is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Please use '--log_error_verbosity' instead.\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.783211Z 0 [Warning] TIMESTAMP with implicit DEFAULT value is deprecated. Please use --explicit_defaults_for_timestamp server option (see documentation for more details).\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.783233Z 0 [Warning] 'NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER' sql mode was not set.\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.783291Z 0 [Warning] Insecure configuration for --secure-file-priv: Current value does not restrict location of generated files. Consider setting it to a valid, non-empty path.\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.783343Z 0 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld (mysqld 5.7.15-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) starting as process 2291 ...\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.789853Z 0 [Warning] Can't create test file /home/muglurmat/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/muglurmat-desktop.lower-test\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.789917Z 0 [Warning] Can't create test file /home/muglurmat/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/muglurmat-desktop.lower-test\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.789941Z 0 [ERROR] Fatal error: Please read "Security" section of the manual to find out how to run mysqld as root!\n\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.789964Z 0 [ERROR] Aborting\n\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.789995Z 0 [Note] Binlog end\n2016-09-25T06:18:01.790085Z 0 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete\n\n"
            stopping db process

Try re-running the command without using sudo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here below is the output:

muglurmat@muglurmat-desktop:~$ akonadictl start
              done.
              search paths: ("/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/bin", "/usr/sbin", "/usr/bin", "/sbin", "/bin", "/usr/games", "/usr/local/games", "/snap/bin", "/usr/sbin", "/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/libexec", "/usr/libexec", "/opt/mysql/libexec", "/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin", "/opt/mysql/sbin")
              arguments: ("--defaults-file=/home/muglurmat/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf", "--datadir=/home/muglurmat/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/", "--socket=/tmp/akonadi-muglurmat.CZMOZY/mysql.socket")
              stderr: ""
              stopping db process

Comment

Problems with mysql.

Reinstall the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mysql_problems.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	643319
                beginning with the first and going down the line of those with the green boxes.
                Then reboot.
                If KMail then doesn't run retest aknoadi again. If it doesn't show an error then reinstall KMail and reboot.

Comment

I reinstalled all the mentioned files, no use Kmail is giving the same error. Akonadi exits with error 1 even now

Comment

Check the owner and permissions on mysql.conf, db_data and mysql.socket. One of them is not owned by you or has no write permission.

Comment

Thank you GreyGeek,

I am away from my system in Bangalore. I will check it on Wednesday.

Comment

Check the owner and permissions on mysql.conf, db_data and mysql.socket. One of them is not owned by you or has no write permission.
                        Now I am completely confused. Three files you mention, are not on my system. Searched from \ from Dolphin and tried locate each file from console, as su.
                        Where am I going wrong ?
                        I updated and upgraded and removed one software from system. After that Kmail stopped functioning. It was working perfect up to that point.
                        Thanks for any suggestion.

Comment

What package did you remove?

Comment

chromium, that was handling mail also. It kept warning me that I am using un-secure apps to access mail and kept bugging me to enter PW again and again, so removed. Now I am working with only FF.

Comment

Originally posted by vsmmath View Post
                              chromium, that was handling mail also. It kept warning me that I am using un-secure apps to access mail and kept bugging me to enter PW again and again, so removed. Now I am working with only FF.
                              That's interesting. I used Chromium for a while but removed it because it didn't allow video downloads. It never once complained about my KMail. I don't know why Chromium would complain about KMail, it is none of Chromium's business, unless you linked KMail and Chromium (like I do with FF) so that I can click on a letter icon to open an email with the URL in body and the title of the URL in the subject line, add some comments and then send it.

What are your settings for email and browser in SystemSettings5-->Applications-->Default Applications?

Comment

Working...
                              X