Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KMail has stopped working. "Akonadi not operational"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • vsmmath
    replied
    Thank you GreyGeek,
    your guidance was really kept me going. I have installed Muon, had not tried recently.

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    Great!

    Also, Muon's problem with the one-off search has been fixed and now it works the way it always has, perfectly, so there is little need to re-install Synaptic.

    Leave a comment:


  • vsmmath
    replied
    Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    How are you performing your package management; the updating of installed package? If you are using the command line (konsole), what commands are you using?

    What repositories are you using?
    sudo apt-get purge mysql-server mysql-client mysql-common mysql-server-core-5.5 mysql-client-core-5.5
    sudo rm -rf /etc/mysql /var/lib/mysql
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get autoclean

    KMail i removed using Synaptic package manager.

    After re-install it did not work. This was at 3:30 in the morning. I gave feed back here and slept. Got up now, switched on the system, got a message Akonadi is requesting for pass word !
    Entered password and KMail is working. Problem solved. Thanks you for reading my attempts to correct the problem.

    GreyGeek, Thanks for the guidance. Now I will configure mail ID and start download of emails.
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 28, 2017, 06:08 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Snowhog
    replied
    How are you performing your package management; the updating of installed package? If you are using the command line (konsole), what commands are you using?

    What repositories are you using?

    Leave a comment:


  • vsmmath
    replied
    Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    One way you can approach this problem is to purge my_sql and KMail from your system, then reinstall KMail. It should bring in my_sql and an other additional packages.
    Purged my_sql and KMail from system.
    Reinstalled Kmail, anxiously clicked on KMail ........ same result. Akonadi is not operational

    In a situation like this as a newbie I would have re-installed OS. but after your suggestion reinstalling is never a solution, this has become a challenge. I want to know what has gone wrong.

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    In msg #5 you posted:
    2016-09-25T06:18:01.783233Z 0 [Warning] 'NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER' sql mode was not set.
    2016-09-25T06:18:01.783291Z 0 [Warning] Insecure configuration for --secure-file-priv: Current value does not restrict location of generated files. Consider setting it to a valid, non-empty path.
    2016-09-25T06:18:01.783343Z 0 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld (mysqld 5.7.15-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) starting as process 2291 ...

    2016-09-25T06:18:01.789853Z 0 [Warning] Can't create test file /home/muglurmat/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/muglurmat-desktop.lower-test
    2016-09-25T06:18:01.789917Z 0 [Warning] Can't create test file /home/muglurmat/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/muglurmat-desktop.lower-test
    2016-09-25T06:18:01.789941Z 0 [ERROR] Fatal error: Please read "Security" section of the manual to find out how to run mysqld as root!

    2016-09-25T06:18:01.789964Z 0 [ERROR] Aborting

    2016-09-25T06:18:01.789995Z 0 [Note] Binlog end
    2016-09-25T06:18:01.790085Z 0 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete"
    exit code: 1
    process error: "Unknown error"
    That you cannot create "test file"s suggests that you have a permissions problem. Check in ~./local/share/akonadi/db_data to see if muglurmat-desktop.low-test exists and if it does what permissions it and the akonadi/db_data directories have.

    One way you can approach this problem is to purge my_sql and KMail from your system, then reinstall KMail. It should bring in my_sql and an other additional packages.

    When you uninstall a package you should be careful to make sure it doesn't drag along other parts of the KDE desktop, as some packages often do. If that happens you can re-install the KDE metadesktop package, which will restore mission packages.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 07, 2016, 12:07 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • vsmmath
    replied
    KMail is the default mail handler. No other setting changes were made, now I have made changes to some default programmes.

    Kmail gives an error:
    "The Akonadi personal information management service is not operational."
    below Red label with X mark on it. Below is Details...... When I click "Details" label: I get the same message Akonadi personal information manager is not operational
    Last edited by vsmmath; Oct 06, 2016, 11:08 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    Originally posted by vsmmath View Post
    chromium, that was handling mail also. It kept warning me that I am using un-secure apps to access mail and kept bugging me to enter PW again and again, so removed. Now I am working with only FF.
    That's interesting. I used Chromium for a while but removed it because it didn't allow video downloads. It never once complained about my KMail. I don't know why Chromium would complain about KMail, it is none of Chromium's business, unless you linked KMail and Chromium (like I do with FF) so that I can click on a letter icon to open an email with the URL in body and the title of the URL in the subject line, add some comments and then send it.

    What are your settings for email and browser in SystemSettings5-->Applications-->Default Applications?

    Leave a comment:


  • vsmmath
    replied
    chromium, that was handling mail also. It kept warning me that I am using un-secure apps to access mail and kept bugging me to enter PW again and again, so removed. Now I am working with only FF.

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    What package did you remove?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • vsmmath
    replied
    Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    Check the owner and permissions on mysql.conf, db_data and mysql.socket. One of them is not owned by you or has no write permission.
    Now I am completely confused. Three files you mention, are not on my system. Searched from \ from Dolphin and tried locate each file from console, as su.
    Where am I going wrong ?
    I updated and upgraded and removed one software from system. After that Kmail stopped functioning. It was working perfect up to that point.
    Thanks for any suggestion.

    Leave a comment:


  • vsmmath
    replied
    Thank you GreyGeek,

    I am away from my system in Bangalore. I will check it on Wednesday.

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    Check the owner and permissions on mysql.conf, db_data and mysql.socket. One of them is not owned by you or has no write permission.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • vsmmath
    replied
    I reinstalled all the mentioned files, no use Kmail is giving the same error. Akonadi exits with error 1 even now

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    Problems with mysql.

    Reinstall the following:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	mysql_problems.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	643319
    beginning with the first and going down the line of those with the green boxes.
    Then reboot.
    If KMail then doesn't run retest aknoadi again. If it doesn't show an error then reinstall KMail and reboot.

    Leave a comment:

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X