This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Where are the screensavers

I have not worried about a screensaver for ages, I am happy with a simple lock screen. But someone asked me how to set up a screensaver today and I just assumed I'd find it by going into System Settings and looking for it... But... I don't see anything there? Does one need to install something extra?

I found a number of packages related to "screensaver", but what would be the starting place to not randomly install stuff until it "works" ?

Screensavers aren't used by many people anymore. LED/LCD screens don't suffer from burn-in like CRTs did so most people use a custom Lock screen instead of an old-fashioned screensaver. Supposedly QML wallpapers will be supported someday which would allow a screensaver-like lock screen.

Still, if you really want one, from http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=138037.0

You can use xscreensaver if you like:

1) Install xscreensaver and any extra modules you want. This should give
    you a "Screensaver" entry in System Settings; the command it runs is
    "xscreensaver-demo", which opens the settings dialog.

2) In System Settings / Startup and Shutdown, click "Add Program" and
    enter "xscreensaver -nosplash". This starts the screensaver daemon when
    you log in.

3) Set a keyboard shortcut to transform your screen into a thing of beauty:

In System Settings, go to Shortcuts and click Custom Shortcuts.
    Click the Edit button and select New -> Global Shortcut -> Command/URL.
    Name it "Screen Saver"; set the trigger to Ctrl+Alt+S or many keyboard configurations, and the action to
    "xscreensaver-command -lock" (without quotation marks).

Please Read Me

Comment

I can highly recommend xscreensaver. I like to run a screensaver when I'm away from the PC for a while ... not because it's necessary like it was with the old CRT displays, but simply because it's enjoyable to see the sheer variety of visual effects xscreensaver produces. I see new things all the time when it's running. It's also efficient as if you have the monitor set to standby after a period of inactivity in the power settings, xscreensaver recognises this and will stop wasting energy when the screen has powered down.
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I certainly enjoy having a screensaver and I set it to cycle to a new screen saver after every 8 minutes. A new screensaver adds to the interest when I return to my desktop. I like variability in my desktop look and screensavers add to this. I also cycle through background images every 5 minutes as well.

On important aspect where a screen saver can be embarrassing is when you use your desktop for a presentation. In this case you do not want the screen saver to start. I handle this by adding a fourth option, ie

4) To stop and continue the screensaver make two applications, each with "Enable launch feedback" and with the command.

:~$ killall -s STOP xscreensaver

to stop the screensaver, and

:~$ killall -s CONT xscreensaver

to start the screensaver.

Enjoy the old fashioned way.

Comment

Working...
        X