This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux Program like Pavtube for DVD to mkv rip

I have a lot of DVDs that I want to rip to mkv files and include the movie's subtitles. I have a lot of foreign movies, so if I rip them without subs, I won't be able to understand. I've got some cool Windows tools for this. AnyDVD gets me around the encryption that the movie companies are misguided enough to use to prevent me from backing up these movies that I've paid for. Then this program named PavTube lets me rip the DVD into an mkv and include whichever available subtitles I want, excluding ones I don't want. For example, I would include languages I know like English, German, and French while excluding ones I don't like Portuguese, Mandarin, or Korean.

I have found in K3B where you rip a DVD. It made me first install this thing called libdvdcss and something else before it would work. However, I'm not finding a thing to choose the subtitles that you want to include. Is it in there? Or is there some other ripping software that would do a better job? I used AcidRip at one point, but it's been a while.

Eventually I want my entire movie collection digitized and on a networked drive and all set up that I can stream any film I want to my TV at any time. It will be cool.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

MakeMKV

MakeMKV - http://www.makemkv.com

MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere. MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called "transcoder". It converts the video clips from proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way. The MKV format can store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters. There are many players that can play MKV files nearly on all platforms, and there are tools to convert MKV files to many formats, including DVD and Blu-ray discs... MakeMKV for Linux is available on the forum page.
    AskUbuntu - Convert DVD to MKV (et al) without transcoding/recompression: http://askubuntu.com/questions/20278...-recompression

Seems to work at here...

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks.
      Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
      ================================

Comment

Thanks indeed! Roger131's posts are always diamonds!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If you want more granular control, consider Handbrake.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X