This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed up apt-get

Found this over on Ubuntu Geek. Try it out and watch your downloads fly. Could be especially useful to the bandwidth challenged.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/apt-fast-a...-upgrades.html

Re: Speed up apt-get

Late reply, yes, but have you installed and tested this? Is it really faster than without it?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I am using it on both Lucid and Maverick. It works great!! Try it!! Watch those downloads fly!

Comment

Well, the update seemed to go MUCH faster.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Using apt-fast. Not sure how many pipes I should use. I have a 150Mbps connection (I love Brighthouse)so pretty much everything is fast anyway

Comment

My connection is 25 Mb/s but TW limits my DL speed to around 2.8 Mb/s.
            Apt-get regularly hits that cap, so I don't see how pipes would help.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              My connection is 25 Mb/s but TW limits my DL speed to around 2.8 Mb/s.
              Apt-get regularly hits that cap, so I don't see how pipes would help.

Ditto on what GG says other than I only have 18Mbps.

Comment

Huh, that Axel utility is pretty cool.

Code:
                steve@t520:~/junk$ [B]axel -a http://mirror.pnl.gov/fedora/linux/releases/21/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5.iso[/B]
                Initializing download: http://mirror.pnl.gov/fedora/linux/releases/21/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5.iso
                File size: 1472200704 bytes
                Opening output file Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5.iso
                Starting download

Connection 0 finished                                                          ]
                Connection 1 finished                                                          ]
                Connection 3 finished                                                          ]
                [100%] [..................................................] [  56.2MB/s] [00:00]

Downloaded 1404.0 megabytes in 24 seconds. (57582.02 KB/s)

steve@t520:~/junk$ [B]axel -a -n 10 http://mirror.pnl.gov/fedora/linux/releases/21/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5.iso[/B]
                Initializing download: http://mirror.pnl.gov/fedora/linux/releases/21/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5.iso
                Starting download

Connection 5 finished                                                          ]
                Connection 8 finished                                                          ]
                Connection 0 finished                                                          ]
                Connection 2 finished                                                          ]
                Connection 1 finished                                                          ]
                Connection 3 finished                                                          ]
                Connection 7 finished                                                          ]
                Connection 6 finished                                                          ]
                Connection 9 finished                                                          ]
                [100%] [..................................................] [  70.1MB/s] [00:00]

Downloaded 1404.0 megabytes in 20 seconds. (71817.56 KB/s)
                Nearly a gig and half in 20 seconds. Not bad!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Huh, that Axel utility is pretty cool.

Code:
                  steve@t520:~/junk$ [B]axel -a http://mirror.pnl.gov/fedora/linux/releases/21/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5.iso[/B]
                  Starting download

[100%] [..................................................] [  56.2MB/s] [00:00]

Downloaded 1404.0 megabytes in 24 seconds. (57582.02 KB/s)

steve@t520:~/junk$ [B]axel -a -n 10 http://mirror.pnl.gov/fedora/linux/releases/21/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5.iso[/B]
                  Starting download

Connection 5 finished                                                          ]
                  Connection 8 finished                                                          ]
                  Connection 2 finished                                                          ]
                  Connection 7 finished                                                          ]
                  Connection 6 finished                                                          ]
                  Connection 9 finished                                                          ]
                  [100%] [..................................................] [  70.1MB/s] [00:00]

Downloaded 1404.0 megabytes in 20 seconds. (71817.56 KB/s)
                  Nearly a gig and half in 20 seconds. Not bad!
                  ya that is cool ,,,,,,,,,braking the DL into multiple streams ,,,,,,,like bit-torrent kinda hay .

installing

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Old script though - 4.5 years is a couple lifetimes in the linux world. I guess I could adapt it to apt, but it would be cool to code axel into muon, right?

Anyone else here old enough to remember when a similar program (no way can I remember what it was called) was in use back in the bbs/14.4K modem days? Man, you could download a whole 140K Apple II floppy disk image in mere minutes!

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, everyone: Don't compare your speeds to Steve's. He's got like a million megabit connection.

The ONLY reason I'd consider moving back to Kansas City is they got Google Fiber.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        Anyone else here old enough to remember when a similar program (no way can I remember what it was called) was in use back in the bbs/14.4K modem days? Man, you could download a whole 140K Apple II floppy disk image in mere minutes!
                        I remember using QModem, which was a front end to ZMODEM on my 56K modem. The max DL speed was about 48K but with compression and after-the-fact packet checking it was rather quick.

On Linux I used to use prozilla but switched to aria2, which allows controlling the number of threads, but now use wget.
                        Prozilla hasn't been compiled since 2013, so I don't use it any more. But, it was the easiest and fastest tool to use and kept a database of sites I frequented to download, including the source directory structure and my destination file structure.
                        https://launchpad.net/~tahutek-team/...buntu/prozilla

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          As Jerry mentioned, you're recalling ZMODEM, which introduced the notion of sliding windows to BBS file transfer protocols.

Speaking of ancient datacomms... check out this pristine, working example of a Livermore Data Systems Model A Acoustic Coupler from 1964!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            Speaking of ancient datacomms... check out this pristine, working example of a Livermore Data Systems Model A Acoustic Coupler from 1964!
                            I didn't know they had laptops in 1964?

Comment

Watch the video. The acoustic coupler is in the brown box behind the guy's arm. The laptop in the video is also old (not from 1964, of course) -- he says finding a laptop with a serial port was a challenge.

Comment

Working...
                              X