This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] GRUB boot error grub-register-command-lockdown

Hi, have since some days a consistent error "Error: grub_command_register_lockdown" during boot.
    Now I have found this thread:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1333...talling-ubuntu
    which points to:
    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/g.../msg00012.html

Unfortunately it is not really helpful - as an almost newbie I dont know how to apply the patch. What do I need to enter from the complete grub-devel list?

I am using:

Operating System: Kubuntu 21.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.5
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.86.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.2
    Kernel Version: 5.11.0-37-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11

This has to do with secure boot. I don't think that link refers to the error, but is instead a patch enabling secure lockdown

Are you still able to boot? If so, reinstalling grub may fix this. You have to know which drive you are booting from.

If you are not able to boot and end up at the grub_rescue prompt, you will have to manually boo the kernel than re-install grub

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      This has to do with secure boot. I don't think that link refers to the error, but is instead a patch enabling secure lockdown

Are you still able to boot? If so, reinstalling grub may fix this. You have to know which drive you are booting from.

If you are not able to boot and end up at the grub_rescue prompt, you will have to manually boo the kernel than re-install grub
      - No secure boot enabled

- Can boot via SuperGRUB

- Reinstall did not help. Says only, that grub-install was succesful

Comment

Run this command and report the results.

sudo debconf-show grub-pc

Please Read Me

Comment

Results (nothing removed, just copied from the terminal):

grub-pc/disk_description:
          grub-pc/install_devices_failed_upgrade: true
          * grub-pc/install_devices: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SanDisk_SDSSDH31000G_1806B8800165
          grub-pc/install_devices_failed: false
          grub-pc/chainload_from_menu.lst: true
          grub-pc/partition_description:
          grub2/kfreebsd_cmdline:
          grub-pc/kopt_extracted: false
          grub2/no_efi_extra_removable: false
          grub-pc/mixed_legacy_and_grub2: true
          grub2/linux_cmdline_default: nosplash debug verbose
          grub2/update_nvram: true
          grub2/unsigned_kernels:
          grub2/unsigned_kernels_title:
          grub-efi/install_devices_failed: false
          grub-efi/install_devices_disks_changed:
          grub2/device_map_regenerated:
          grub-pc/install_devices_disks_changed:
          grub2/kfreebsd_cmdline_default: quiet splash
          grub-efi/partition_description:
          grub-efi/install_devices:
          grub-pc/timeout: 3
          grub2/linux_cmdline:
          grub-pc/hidden_timeout: true
          grub-efi/install_devices_empty: false
          grub-pc/postrm_purge_boot_grub: false
          grub-pc/install_devices_empty: false

But in the meantime I have played with BIOS settings. I have Linux on an NVMe disk, which resides on an PCI card (mainboard Gigabyte Designare, PCI NVMe card GC-4MXM2G4) so I have set the "Other PCI devices ROM Priority" to "Legacy only" - now it works seamless.... CSM support was anyway set to "Enabled" - did GRUB wanted to start as UEFI and did - suddenly - not find the UEFI partition (which has never been there) ?

But still want to understand, why GRUB was suddenly relying on this setting, since before it was not activated and GRUB worked for months without any problem...

Comment

Well, I can't comment on your BIOS settings and why that worked. I have a BIOS anomaly also - when a specific brand (just this one type, not others) USB thumb drive is installed, it tries to boot from it instead of from one of the 5 drives in my PC. I gave up trying to "fix" BIOS and just pull it out before rebooting.

FYI, this: * grub-pc/install_devices: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SanDisk_SDSSDH31000G_1806B8800165
            says grub is booting from an 2.5" SanDisk SSD not the nvme drive. Odd that having a non-boot drive in a PCI slot would effect booting.

Please Read Me

Comment

SanDisk SDSSDH31000G is not an USB, it is an internal SATA drive .... 1TB.

Well, being a quirk in the BIOS would not necessarily explain, why GRUB suddenly stumbled over it - but you are right, maybe an "quantum process" where a quark has an elektron has a Bit make switch ...

Comment

Yeah, I'm aware what type of drive yours is, I was just comparing BIOS quirks, like oddball stuff that our computers do for unknown reasons. Whatever the reasons, if you have fixed it, don't question it - just roll on!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X