This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] xsession warning unable to write to tmp

hi fellas. technically im facing a little problem that maked me awake all night since yesterday tryna solve it. i really crawled the webs before posting this thread but all of them explains other cases not like mine.so when i boot my system (basic os) that message pop-up to me again. tbh it happened last month and i tab this commands into the root account to clean my cache files and the unused packages and it already works:
    Code:
     apt-get autoclean ~ apt-get clean ~ apt-get autoremove
    here's some info at my drive:
    Code:
    root@kali:~# df -h
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    udev            975M     0  975M   0% /dev
    tmpfs           201M  1.4M  200M   1% /run
    /dev/sda1        11G   11G     0 100% /
    tmpfs          1003M   12M  991M   2% /dev/shm
    tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    tmpfs           4.0M     0  4.0M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/sda6        62G  8.5G   50G  15% /home
    tmpfs           201M   60K  201M   1% /run/user/0
    also this command shows that the /dev/sda1 is 100% which it means it can?t write to a full disk:
    Code:
    root@kali:~# df -h /tmp
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1        11G   11G     0 100% /
    any solution for this case? and thank you all

I'm mildly surprised the system runs at all, with the root device at 100%.
    You may have to boot in recovery mode, or from a live USB.
    I suggest you identify what has filled up /, and delete some of it. BTW, a backup of anything important could be precious. If you've done a reboot it probably won't be in /tmp, because that's normally cleared when booting. If I didn't have a strong suspicion of a culprit I'd look first in /var/log.

Sent from my VFD 822 using Tapatalk
    Regards, John Little

Comment

So you have to uninstall some [programs and other software or packages, to give yourself some breathing room. 11Gb is not much for an OS these days.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        I'm mildly surprised the system runs at all, with the root device at 100%.
        You may have to boot in recovery mode, or from a live USB.
        I suggest you identify what has filled up /, and delete some of it. BTW, a backup of anything important could be precious. If you've done a reboot it probably won't be in /tmp, because that's normally cleared when booting. If I didn't have a strong suspicion of a culprit I'd look first in /var/log.

hi, ty for your reply
        the live booting method may wipe my data. but if i locate the excess usage it will be fixed just by making a free space on the bootable disk
        checkout this output:
        Code:
        root@kali:~#  du -h --max-depth=1 /var
        387M    /var/lib
        24K     /var/spool
        5.7M    /var/backups
        4.0K    /var/mail
        1.1G    /var/log
        4.0K    /var/local
        36K     /var/www
        52K     /var/tmp
        4.0K    /var/opt
        70M     /var/cache
        1.5G    /var

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          So you have to uninstall some [programs and other software or packages, to give yourself some breathing room. 11Gb is not much for an OS these days.
          oh yes this was my bigger mistake i partisioned the root a tiny space than the user partition. i tried with gparted and it can't be shrinked yet i need a way to track the problem that makes the root full

Comment

In reality, your /var directory is not at all out of bounds:
            Code:
            [john@john-HP-ENVY-x360 john]$ sudo du -h --max-depth=1 /var
            4.0K    /var/metrics
            132K    /var/spool
            4.0K    /var/local
            7.3M    /var/crash
            192M    /var/cache
            4.0K    /var/mail
            801M    /var/log
            358M    /var/lib
            5.7M    /var/backups
            4.0K    /var/opt
            60K     /var/tmp
            1.4G    /var
            The real problem is the size of the / partition. Yours is 11GB, the least it probably should be is twice that

What version of Kubuntu are you running? Can you grab some more space, perhaps with a reinstall? Can you rsync your /home to an external drive?
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Code:
              1.1G    /var/log
              This can be reduced from the recovery console, and give you some room for a short bit, if you need to boot up right away:

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php...l-logs-ubuntu/

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                In reality, your /var directory is not at all out of bounds:
                Code:
                [john@john-HP-ENVY-x360 john]$ sudo du -h --max-depth=1 /var
                4.0K    /var/metrics
                132K    /var/spool
                4.0K    /var/local
                7.3M    /var/crash
                192M    /var/cache
                4.0K    /var/mail
                801M    /var/log
                358M    /var/lib
                5.7M    /var/backups
                4.0K    /var/opt
                60K     /var/tmp
                1.4G    /var
                The real problem is the size of the / partition. Yours is 11GB, the least it probably should be is twice that

What version of Kubuntu are you running? Can you grab some more space, perhaps with a reinstall? Can you rsync your /home to an external drive?
                well i am currently using kali linux 2020.4 i posted here cause the community of kali is dead in the forum but all of them based on debian tho. thanks btw for your help i solved the problem now everything is okay

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  Code:
                  1.1G    /var/log
                  This can be reduced from the recovery console, and give you some room for a short bit, if you need to boot up right away:

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php...l-logs-ubuntu/
                  when you take a deep breath and think a smart the life is become easy as well. i solved the problem by clearing the cache/cookies in the browser, cleaning the /root/cache/ by:
                  Code:
                  apt-get autoremove && apt-get clean
                  for my case my dev/ada1 has only 11G so i cant install a third party program for auto-clearing the unused data but for everyone who has the same issue and had a big space on the root i would suggest bleachbit its good for cleaning, anyway thanks for your help :-)

Comment

I don't know if it's a starter with kali, but I left partition size problems behind by using btrfs subvolumes, with all my installs, including non-Ubuntu like gentoo, in the same fs.

Regards, John Little

Comment

@rooted, glad you got yourself going again. So be very watchful of your Kali installation. Too bad you can't grab some extra space from whatever is between sda1 and sda6, but I understand. Good luck
                      The next brick house on the left
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

You might consider shrinking your /home partition by 3GB (or whatever) and creating a new partition and mount it as /var. This would effectively add space to /

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                        X