This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[System] confused about updates and notification

Hi, first time linux and loving some of it a lot, but im confused about the notification that said potentially bad link because its an HTML file. I was browsing global themes, icons and desktop effects, though i didn't install any effects, but they are the only thing that belongs to the workspace, which is what the notification referred to. How can i see which file this is about? The notification doesn't give me any info.

Also, just received like 8 updates via the Discover tool. At least i thought. I saw them but wasnt sure what they were because the information alluded to it being optional. Now they are gone, or so i think because im only seeing 2. I think they are new though? Not sure. What happened to the first set? Are they installed regardless or are they now hidden forever, because i dont see any way to view past updates.

Not sure exactly about the first issue, but it seems like it may be that on the KDE store (where the "Get New" stuff comes from in System Settings as well as the Plasma Addons sections in Discover) , some of the items are listed by their creator, but don't have the actual files on the store website, just offering download links. Without more specific info, or examples, it is difficult to say for sure.

As to the second, it depends on the version of Kubuntu you are using. Ubuntu now installs security updates automatically, checking for them approx once a day iirc. The updater simply sees that there are updates, and then security patches were installed in the background. So when you opened up Discover, only the ones not security related were left.

One can view past update info you can read the log files, as they are simply text files. There are some commandline shortcuts to view certain things quicly --> https://www.systutorials.com/how-to-...t-or-aptitude/

Not sure, but Synaptic package manager or Muon package manager might be able to show this info in a GUI manner. Discover, which is just an app store essentially, does not have this.

Comment

Well, thats the thing. Shouldn't it say somewhere what exactly the file and where it is? How is anyone supposed to know.

This is the system info, which btw. says Kubuntu 20.04. Does that mean im not on 20.04.2, or is this just left out?

Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04
      KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
      KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
      Qt Version: 5.12.8
      Kernel Version: 5.8.0-45-generic
      OS Type: 64-bit
      Processors: 12 ? AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
      Memory: 15,6 GiB of RAM

If security patches are installed automatically, why does it even show me instead of linking release notes, and since they are security related, wouldn't I be prompted to enter password? But i guess you're right as thats what the cat says:

2021-03-24 06:05:15 install linux-modules-5.8.0-48-generic:amd64 <none> 5.8.0-48.54~20.04.1
      2021-03-24 06:05:17 install linux-image-5.8.0-48-generic:amd64 <none> 5.8.0-48.54~20.04.1
      2021-03-24 06:05:18 install linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-48-generic:amd64 <none> 5.8.0-48.54~20.04.1
      2021-03-24 06:05:25 install linux-hwe-5.8-headers-5.8.0-48:all <none> 5.8.0-48.54~20.04.1
      2021-03-24 06:05:39 install linux-headers-5.8.0-48-generic:amd64 <none> 5.8.0-48.54~20.04.1
      2021-03-24 08:07:50 install python3-pyinotify:all <none> 0.9.6-1.2ubuntu1
      2021-03-24 08:07:50 install python3-xlib:all <none> 0.23-2build1
      2021-03-24 08:07:51 install wmctrl:amd64 <none> 1.07-7build1
      2021-03-24 08:07:51 install autokey-common:all <none> 0.95.10-1
      2021-03-24 08:07:51 install libqscintilla2-qt5-l10n:all <none> 2.11.2+dfsg-6
      2021-03-24 08:07:51 install libqscintilla2-qt5-15:amd64 <none> 2.11.2+dfsg-6
      2021-03-24 08:07:52 install python3-pyqt5.qsci:amd64 <none> 2.11.2+dfsg-6
      2021-03-24 08:07:52 install python3-pyqt5.qtsvg:amd64 <none> 5.14.1+dfsg-3build1
      2021-03-24 08:07:52 install autokey-qt:all <none> 0.95.10-1

Also, if you don't mind, is this by design, if any window is open but in the background, and I click on the tray icon, nothing happens? In MS windows it would put it up front. Or am i missing an option?

Comment

Yes, clicking on the icon in the Task Manager should focus on that window. Can't say why it's not in your case.

"Security" updates mean patches to the kernel or other software that fix a venerability. If you have it set to "auto install security updates" it's not going to prompt you for a password because then it wouldn't be "auto" would it? If that makes you uncomfortable, turn off auto updating.

As far as version, you're on 20.04.2 based on what you posted from Info Center. For whatever reason it doesn't show the .2 part.

Open Konsole type in:

lsb_release -a

and you should get:

Code:
        No LSB modules are available.
        Distributor ID: Ubuntu
        Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
        Release:        20.04
        Codename:       focal
        And since you already have Konsole open, try this command;

sudo apt update

This will update your software sources and announce if any are upgradable. The correct upgrade command is:

sudo apt full-upgrade
        Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 24, 2021, 10:19 AM. Reason: corrected lab_release to lsb_release

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, it sorta did prompt me, but suppose that's because the 2 remaining ones were? I do not know (yet) whether its autoinstall, but looking at how to do it, i have not executed command.

Version seems to be .2 though it says:

No LSB modules are available.
          Distributor ID: Ubuntu
          Description: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
          Release: 20.04
          Codename: focal

update seems to be available too and up to date. No mention of upgrade.

Guess thats it. thanks so much, guys

Comment

Originally posted by Bratt View Post
            ... says Kubuntu 20.04. Does that mean im not on 20.04.2...?
            At least IME, if I install, say, 20.04, and keep it updated, it passes through what I'd get if I installed a point release like 20.04.2. The point release designation just describes the where the install started. Depending on the timing of updates, which updates were installed, and removals, it could be non-trivial to work out when an install passes a point release.

Sent from my VFD 822 using Tapatalk
            Regards, John Little

Comment

If you ran "sudo apt update" and there were packages to upgrade, you should have seen this message:

Code:
              Fetched 106 MB in 15s (7,035 kB/s)                                                                                                                                   
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree       
              Reading state information... Done
              42 packages can be upgraded. Run '[B]apt list --upgradable[/B]' to see them.
              Listing... Done

Please Read Me

Comment

The point release info is out there, but it's really of little consequence so no one cares much: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/focal

Ubuntu ubuntu-20.04.3 2021-08-05 Third point release of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
                Ubuntu ubuntu-20.04.2 2021-02-11 Second point release of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
                Ubuntu ubuntu-20.04.1 2020-07-23 First point release of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
                Ubuntu ubuntu-20.04 2020-04-23 Final release of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Please Read Me

Comment

oh, hmm ok, i see. And didnt get the upgrade info.

Something weird just happened though. Just restarted and played a steam game, then a notification for qapt batch installer asking for password. Typed it and then it crashed. Then offered a crash report asking for more info on what i did at the time it crashed, but never gave an input field. Feel like i should change my password :S

Comment

I use muon to add and remove most packages. In its menu is "View". Under "View" is one option: "History". A dialog appears showing a bunch of dates. A drop down combo box offers "All Changes", "Installations", "Updates" and "Removals". You can see the names of packages and the exact date any action took place on them.

When I use Dolphin's right mouse context menu on a deb file it offer me the ability to install the deb package using "Open the Qapt package installer". It, too, will solve dependencies and automatically add appropriate libraries.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hmm, so this came up because just today, there were 3 update installations? 1st this morning the ones i put back and then apparently installed regardless, the 2 remaining, and before i could restart, which they've required, i got another 2. Then i restarted and this qapt incident happened.

Comment

Hmm, so this came up because just today, there were 3 update installations? 1st this morning the ones i put back and then apparently installed regardless, the 2 remaining, and before i could restart, which they've required, i got another 2. Then i restarted and this qapt incident happened.

Comment

Working...
                        X