This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Errors] Help with compiling ffmpeg using Kubuntu

I?ve installed Kubuntu so that I can run FFmpeg to join a large number of tiff files into a video. The tiffs are produced by a video enhance program that exports each frame of the video as a tiff.

I?ve installed FFmpeg from the console. I?m following the instructions found here:
    Using FFmpeg with NVIDIA GPU Hardware Acceleration :: NVIDIA Video Codec SDK Documentation

The instructions are failing at this line:
    cd nv-codec-headers && sudo make install && cd ?
    with an error ?no such directory cd ? ?

I think that this could be due to my not starting in the correct directory, and therefore the command hasn?t got a directory to ?go back to?. I am very new to this and I could be completely wrong! I do know that I am in ?nv-codec-headers? directory after the command has run, which matches the ?cd? at the start of the line.

If I carry on the command
    ?./configure --enable-nonfree -?enable-cuda-sdk ?enable-libnpp --extra-cflags=-I/usr/local/cuda/include --extra-ldflags=-L/usr/local/cuda/lib64?
    also fails, but I don?t know whether this is due to the above failing. It?s the ./configure part that is causing the problem.

Can anyone help with this, please?

It's cd -
    Meaning "previous directory".

Comment

Curious at to why compiling from scratch? Just to get the nvidia acceleration?

Please Read Me

Comment

Exactly how the configure fails is the key here. You should be running it in the directory where it is; that's what ./ means.

If ./configure is the first step, usually the problem is some missing library or tool.

If you are building a version of something that is in the repositories, the command
        Code:
        sudo apt-get build-dep [i]whatever[/i]
        (change whatever to ffmpeg in your case I think)
        can work magic sometimes.

Sent from my VFD 822 using Tapatalk
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Thanks for reply.
          That's the only way that I've found to do it.
          If there's an easier way I'd very very grateful if you would let me know how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            Thanks for reply.
            If there's an easier way I'd very very grateful if you would let me know how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by derekc23 View Post
              Which package manager do you use? Discover? Synaptic? Something else? I prefer Synaptic. In it, all I have to do is click 'install' to install FFmpeg. That's about as easy as it gets! Just search for ffmpeg in your preferred package manager and install it. Done!
              Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                Which package manager do you use? Discover? Synaptic? Something else? I prefer Synaptic. In it, all I have to do is click 'install' to install FFmpeg. That's about as easy as it gets! Just search for ffmpeg in your preferred package manager and install it. Done!
                The problem is that the ffmpeg package in the repos isn't built with nvidia hw accel support, due to licencing issues.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                  The problem is that the ffmpeg package in the repos isn't built with nvidia hw accel support, due to licencing issues.
                  Oh, I see. I must've missed that. Thanks.
                  Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
                  X