X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few niggles

Hi

I've just installed Kubuntu on what was a Windows 10 laptop (Dell Latitude E5530), and am fairly happy so far. I've used Linux on and off over the years but wanted to give some life to a painfully slow W10 machine.

There are a couple of things I'd like to fix, though:

1. Invalid Partition Table
    I get this error when I boot up. Press enter and it goes away, but I'd rather it didn't start in the first place. The machine is only running Kubuntu - I let the install take up the entire hard disk.

2. Wireless Network
    I can connect fine - but I need to enter my KWallet password so that the system can access my wifi password. Is there a way of not needing to use KWallet for the password? I'd like everything to start running automatically without me needing to enter passwords.

Thanks

1> Whats the output of "sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda" (assuming you boot to sda)

2> I don't use wifi much or network manager, but I think you can do this. I think you have to tell it to let all users access the wifi and/or set kwallet with a blank password.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      1> Whats the output of "sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda" (assuming you boot to sda)
      Code:
      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.5 [/COLOR]

Partition table scan: 
       MBR: protective 
       BSD: not present 
       APM: not present 
       GPT: present 

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT. 
      Disk /dev/sda: 976773168 sectors, 465.8 GiB 
      Model: WDC WD5000BPKT-7 
      Sector size (logical/physical): 512/4096 bytes 
      Disk identifier (GUID): 5C7DBB6E-FBD7-4D85-A467-AB3E6B98F80B 
      Partition table holds up to 128 entries 
      Main partition table begins at sector 2 and ends at sector 33 
      First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 976773134 
      Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries 
      Total free space is 4077 sectors (2.0 MiB) 

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name 
        1            2048            4095   1024.0 KiB  EF02   
        2            4096         1054719   513.0 MiB   EF00  EFI System Partition 
        3         1054720       976771071   465.3 GiB   8300  

[/FONT]

Comment

I would check to see if your Latitude's bios is set to boot in legacy(bios) mode instead of uefi,

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...fi-boot/541110

Comment

Yeah, that's a little odd. You have both an EFI BOOT (UEFI) and BIOS BOOT (legacy) partition.

Generally, if you boot using legacy (non-efi) grub you need an unformatted BIOS BOOT partition - EF02. If you boot using EFI, you need the EF00 partition. You never need both as far as I know.

It could be that you're booting with UEFI but the EF00 partition does not have the "boot" flag set. If you're booting without EFI, you probably need to set your BIOS "Enable Legacy Option ROMs" flag.

You probably should determine which booting method you're using and delete the unused partition.

Please Read Me

Comment

I tried the UEFI changes and they worked - thanks! Laptop now boots up without me needing to intervene.

I've had an odd experience with KDE Wallet - I disabled it and I was then prompted to re-enter the wifi password whenever I rebooted. Feeling that using a single password for the wallet was a better option than constantly entering a wifi password, I re-enabled it. When I booted up this morning at work (I've brought the laptop in today as I'm a teacher and don't expect to be busy with pupils today) and left it, when I returned to my desk, the laptop had booted up fully and had connected automatically to my mobile hotspot. This is exactly what I want - I'm just not sure how I've achieved it!

Anyway, thanks for all the help and advice - this is the kind of support I remember when I last used Linux :-)

Comment

KDE Wallet has reverted to type - I still need to enter a password for it to access the password for the wifi.

Anyone any ideas about how to get round this?

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty #55 View Post
                KDE Wallet has reverted to type - I still need to enter a password for it to access the password for the wifi.

Anyone any ideas about how to get round this?
                If you clear the password fields; both of them; and press Enter, you create a 'passwordless' password for KWallet.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  2> I don't use wifi much or network manager, but I think you can do this. I think you have to tell it to let all users access the wifi and/or set kwallet with a blank password.
                  Scotty, did you try the "I think you have to tell it to let all users access the wifi" bit? This is what worked for me. nmtui which is provided by network-manager has a terminal interface to let you do so:Click image for larger version

Name:	20201223084333.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	644996

I didn't need to go the blank password route.
                  Last edited by chimak111; Dec 22, 2020, 09:45 PM.
                  Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    If you clear the password fields; both of them; and press Enter, you create a 'passwordless' password for KWallet.
                    That's the one which worked for me. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty #55 View Post
                      Hi

I've just installed Kubuntu...
                      What version?

I moved this thread to Help the New Guy as the forum How To's is for actual "How To's", not for asking questions on how to do something.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        What version?

I moved this thread to Help the New Guy as the forum How To's is for actual "How To's", not for asking questions on how to do something.
                        Thanks. Version 20.10
                        Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 23, 2020, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X