This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Errors] Help I have no option to select a wired internet connection

I'm new to Linux and Kubuntu and I can't find the answer anywhere. I only have my computers wifi as an option. There's no way for me to connect to the internet with my wired ethernet cord plugged into my pc. Thanks for the help.

What happens when you do plug it in?

Assuming you are connecting to a router, correct?

What shows up in the networking section on your system tray? Normally it will automatically connect to a network, if there are no special settings required.

We'll probably need to find what networking card your system has. It may be that you may need a driver or tweak to get the card working. Most Just Work out of the box but not all.

If you open up Konsole and type in 'lspci'
    It will give you a list of various device info. Just copy and paste that text into a reply here and we can take a look.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

OK, I get you're new to Linux and this forum - so welcome to both.

However, you have asked us to guess what computer you are using, what ethernet NIC you have (brand, model, etc.), and what you've tried so far to fix it.

Generally, Linux is a community effort and thus the expectation is you are going to put in some work solving your problems yourself before asking others, and when you do you will at least try to provide as much detailed information as needed so that we don't have to drag the information out of you.

I suggest you review the "READ ME" link in my signature below and post back with some info that might actually lead to getting some help. I look forward to possibly helping resolve this isses when the information is available.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        What happens when you do plug it in?

Assuming you are connecting to a router, correct?

What shows up in the networking section on your system tray? Normally it will automatically connect to a network, if there are no special settings required.

We'll probably need to find what networking card your system has. It may be that you may need a driver or tweak to get the card working. Most Just Work out of the box but not all.

If you open up Konsole and type in 'lspci'
        It will give you a list of various device info. Just copy and paste that text into a reply here and we can take a look.

I'm trying to connect to a router yes. There's only wifi signals showing up in the tray. I'm thinking I do need firmware. When my computer was windows I would install it from my motherboard website but linux doesn't like exe files. Here's my device information:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9b33 (rev 05)
        00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Cor
        e Processor PCIe Controller (x16) (rev 05)
        00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5
        / 6th/7th/8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
        00:12.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH Therm
        al Controller
        00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake USB 3.1 xHCI Host Contr
        oller
        00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH Shared SRAM
        00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX201
        00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake HECI Controll
        er
        00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Device 06d2
        00:1b.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCI Express Root Port #17 (
        rev f0)
        00:1b.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCI Express Root Port #21 (
        rev f0)
        00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 06b8 (rev f0)
        00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 06bd (rev f0)
        00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCI Express Root Port #9 (r
        ev f0)
        00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 0685
        00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH cAVS
        00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH SMBus Controller
        00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH SPI C
        ontroller
        01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 [GeForce RTX 208
        0 Ti Rev. A] (rev a1)
        01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 High Definition Audio Control
        ler (rev a1)
        01:00.2 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 USB 3.1 Host Controller (re
        v a1)
        01:00.3 Serial bus controller [0c80]: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 USB Type-C UC
        SI Controller (rev a1)
        03:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD
        Controller SM981/PM981/PM983
        04:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 3241
        05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE
        Controller (rev 04)
        06:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD
        Controller SM951/PM951 (rev 01)

Comment

Code:
          It looks like this Realtek ethernet card is not yet supported in linux kernel less than version 5.9 which won't be in Ubuntu until 21.04, at least not without trying unofficial and unsupported Mainline kernels.

Another option is to grab and manually install some linux drivers provided by Realtek themselves.

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/real...550-mobo/22469

Last edited by claydoh; Nov 14, 2020, 06:17 AM.

Comment

The mfg's rtl linux drivers are here:
            https://www.realtek.com/en/component...press-software

Scroll down to the Linux drivers and download the first one listed:
            https://www.realtek.com/en/directly-...0cd61b8eaca701
            Directions are included in the download.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Code:
              It looks like this Realtek ethernet card is not yet supported in linux kernel less than version 5.9 which won't be in Ubuntu until 21.04, at least not without trying unofficial and unsupported Mainline kernels.

Another option is to grab and manually install some linux drivers provided by Realtek themselves.

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/real...550-mobo/22469

I tried executing the GBE Ethernet LINUX driver r8168 and Unix(Linux) r8125 driver and nothing happened by extracting and selecting the autorun. Am I running these properly?

Comment

You need to run the script in the terminal.

Once you have dolphin open in the directory with autorun.sh the file hit f4 to open a terminal. Then as described in the post, enter this:

sudo ./autorun.sh

No idea if exactly what happens, but if the script asks for anything you are not sure about, reply here and copy and paste the relevant bits.

Do note that you will want to save the driver install files as you will probably need to reinstall this when there are kernel updates. Not likely to be every one but it will happen.

Comment

You need to run the script in the terminal.

Once you have dolphin open in the directory with autorun.sh the file hit f4 to open a terminal. Then as described in the post, enter this:

sudo ./autorun.sh

No idea if exactly what happens, but if the script asks for anything you are not sure about, reply here and copy and paste the relevant bits.

Do note that you will want to save the driver install files as you will probably need to reinstall this when there are kernel updates. Not likely to be every one but it will happen.
                  When I attempt to run that command I get this message:

Check old driver and unload it.
                  Build the module and install
                  ./autorun.sh: 31: make: not found
                  anthony@anthony-MS-7C71:~/Downloads/r8125-9.004.01$

Comment

Code:
                    [FONT=monospace]./autorun.sh: 31: make: not found [/FONT]
                    Oops, I missed that.
                    Install the package build-essential sudo apt install build-essential This will provide the 'make' command, and other things you may need as well.
                    Last edited by claydoh; Nov 16, 2020, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Code:
                      [FONT=monospace]./autorun.sh: 31: make: not found [/FONT]
                      Oops, I missed that.
                      Install the package build-essential sudo apt install build-essential This will provide the 'make' command, and other things you may need as well.
                      Okay I did what you said and ran the r8125 driver, I'm assuming this is the right one I'm supposed to pick? It seems to have worked and I'm now connected properly. Is there anything I need to know about reinstalling? Do I need to uninstall it first after a new ubuntu update? Thanks

Comment

Basically, you just repeat the process if you lose your networking after a kernel update. It may not happen often.
                        No need to uninstall or anything.

Comment

Basically, you just repeat the process if you lose your networking after a kernel update. It may not happen often.
                          No need to uninstall or anything.
                          Okay that's perfect and this has been extremely useful, thank you. I did have some other questions regarding other issues, should I just ask them here or create a new thread, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Victel View Post
                            Okay that's perfect and this has been extremely useful, thank you. I did have some other questions regarding other issues, should I just ask them here or create a new thread, thanks.
                            Create new threads in the appropriate sub-forums, or as close to the appropriate ones that you can. The specific Kubuntu version you use can make a difference in any solution, and greatly helps narrow down investigations.
                            Don't forget system specs, too

Comment

Create new threads in the appropriate sub-forums, or as close to the appropriate ones that you can. The specific Kubuntu version you use can make a difference in any solution, and greatly helps narrow down investigations.
                              Don't forget system specs, too
                              I updated linux and my internet stopped working again. I tried running the sudo apt install build-essential and it told me:

build-essential is already the newest version (12.8ubuntu3).
                              The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                              linux-headers-5.8.0-25 linux-headers-5.8.0-25-generic linux-image-5.8.0-25-generic linux-modules-5.8.0-25-generic linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-25-generic
                              Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
                              0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

What do I do?

Comment

Working...
                              X