X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[System] Updated Kubuntu but now can't boot into desktop

What release of Kubuntu you are using? 20.04
    If Kubuntu is installed, is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation)? I'm dual booting however, Kubuntu has a dedicated drive that's seperate from my windows OS
    What version of KDE you are using.? Unable to get version
    What version of Grub you are using? 2.04
    What other Operating Systems are installed? I have Windows 7 on a seperate SSD

Info on my PC:
    • Type: Desktop
    • CPU: Intel i5 2500k, x86_64
    • GPU: I have a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080, but the konsole shows "Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Cor Processor Family Integrate Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    • RAM: 8GB
    • HDs: x1 500GB SSD that has windows 7, x1 60GB SSD that has Kubuntu, x1 500GB HDD and x1 2TB HDD both for storage
    • Optical Drives: 1 internal
    • Motherboard: AsRock z68 Extreme4 Gen3

Hello all,
    I powered my pc today and booted into my kubuntu drive. Discover prompts me that there are some updates which I let it download and install. After installing, I get a prompt saying that my machine needed a restart for some changes to take effect. After letting my machine reboot, it loads up the grub menu. from that point, I'm able to select to load Ubunutu, but after doing that nothing loads. There's is no console debug log messages, just a black screen.

After restarting a couple of times, I tried going into the advanced option at the grub menu and selected the dpkg repair option. Rebooted again but still wouldn't load Kubuntu. I check to see if my home files are still present by selected the root console option; only checked to see if my files may have been wiped, didn't run anything else. Unsure what to do from this point.

Would appreciate any help on how to resolve this issue.

edit:
    My boot order is set to boot my 60GB SSD first which has the grub and Kubuntu installed

edit2:
    Double checked my boot load order. I've made a mistake. Currently my 500GB SSD (the one with windows) is loading first. This drive also seems to load the grub menu. Setting the 60GB linux ssd to be first loads a blanks screen with the cursor/caret blinking. Can't type anything however
    Last edited by Skava; Sep 26, 2020, 09:35 AM. Reason: Added info about boot order. Edit2, mention what my boot load order actually is set to

A guess born out of my own experience, maybe your root partition is full/ has zero space left?
    Boot up a live (USB) session.
    Go to /var/cache/apt/archives/ and check how much is left there, you can remove all of the *.deb files.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      A guess born out of my own experience, maybe your root partition is full/ has zero space left?
      Boot up a live (USB) session.
      Go to /var/cache/apt/archives/ and check how much is left there, you can remove all of the *.deb files.
      I've made a boot drive with kubuntu and went to that directory. I didn't see any deb files and I still had 14.1GB free space, although this was using the number thaat Dolphin shows (don't know how I would do this on command line). Is it possible to use some sort of recovery?

Comment

Posting an update; I was about to reinstall Kubuntu when I decided to try and boot normally in the last minute. Still had the same problem where after choosing Ubuntu in the grub menu nothing would load up. I restarted my PC and went to advanced options in the grub menu, whereby I can see a bunch of Linux versions (I'm guessing they're OS files of some sort?). Instead of choose Linux 5.4.0-48-generic, I chose Linux 5.4.0-47-generic (recovery mode) hoping to find like a repair linux option. Didn't find anything, decided to chance it and boot normally from the menu. To my surprise, it booted into my Kubuntu install with all my files in tact. Managed to back up the files I couldn't get to. Discover also notified me of more updates which I also applied. Rebooted PC and now I am able to boot into my Kubuntu drive without any problem (so far).

Comment

Hi
          interesting thread.
          Are there any comments as to SSD vs HDD?
          woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
          X