Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Multiboot System - Kubuntu only boots over recovery else it gets stuck

Hello,

I have the follwing problem:
    After receiving my new Laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 5 14ARE05) I started to install Win 10. After the windows installation I wanted to add the kubuntu system. Both installations run without any trouble. In grub i can decide wether I want to load into Windows or Kubutnu. The problem is I can only boot into Kubuntu if I choose the path over the rescue start. Else i get stuck booting while showing the OEM-Logo (Lenovo logo).

I tried to "repair" grub but it didnt help. I am pretty much out of ideas.

Help is much appreciated.
    • What release of Kubuntu you are using.
    • If Kubuntu is installed, is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation).
    Normal installation besides windows 10
    • What version of KDE you are using.
      5.18.5 | Frameworks 5.68.0 | QT 5.12.8 | Kernel 5.4.0-47-Generic
    • What version of Grub you are using.
      Don't know? Press Alt+F2 then type konsole and at the prompt type apt-cache show grub | grep ersion - Doens't work unfortunately.
    • What other Operating Systems are installed.
    Windows 10

• Latop
    • AMD Ryzen 7 4700U with Radeon Graphics
    • 16GB RAM
    • 512GB NVMe Drive

Pastebin of the boot repair tool: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/pvxj9RN7ZN/

What did you use to create the Kubuntu USB installer?

Code:
    efibootmgr -v
    [B]BootCurrent: [COLOR=#0000ff]0002[/COLOR][/B]
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 0002,0001,0000,2001,2002,2003
    [B]Boot0000* Linpus lite	[/B]HD(1,GPT,f1dd67a3-4ff2-4042-a56a-d03eb0ed5b72,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\Boot\grubx64.efi)RC
    Boot0001* Windows Boot Manager	HD(1,GPT,f1dd67a3-4ff2-4042-a56a-d03eb0ed5b72,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}...o................
    [COLOR=#0000ff][B]Boot0002* ubuntu	[/B][/COLOR]HD(1,GPT,f1dd67a3-4ff2-4042-a56a-d03eb0ed5b72,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi)
    Boot0003* EFI USB Device (JetFlashTranscend 8GB)	UsbWwid(8564,1000,0,ISADPGH)/HD(1,MBR,0x29be6992,0x800,0xef5800)RC
    Boot2001* EFI USB Device	RC
    Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM	RC
    Boot2003* EFI Network	RC
    I have seen this "linpus lite' entry in the past, but can't recall where or when, etc.
    The Ubuntu and the 'Linpus' are booting off the same drive, but I think that the Linpus entry may be using the correct setup. Have you tried selecting it, and see if that works correctly?

Comment

I used rufus to create the USB installer. Downloaded the iso directly from kubuntu.org

Grub doens't the Linpus entry. It does show it when i am selecting the boot order however.
      I'll give it a try.

Edit:
      Choosing Linpus over the boot menu doenst make a differnece. I still get stuck at the loading screen.

Comment

So there must be something being loaded that is failing or blocking things - the recovery mode is loading fewer things, so it most likely is not a bootloader issue itself.
        Or the system may warrant a newer kernel

this may be useful:
        https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardwa...y_ubuntu_2004/

Looking at your boot logs may show errors that could be useful.
        But it seems most very recent Ryzen systems benefit from more current kernels.
        Last edited by claydoh; Sep 21, 2020, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Try kernel 5.7 or 5.8

The support in 5.4 is just not mature.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the reddit link. May i ask for what you searched or how you found it?

I updated the kernel version and.. it worked
            Speed difference is night and day. Feels way smoother than before. Light adjustments are working now as well!
            Only weird thing left is the touchpad which works only works sometime.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Freakadele View Post
              Thanks for the reddit link. May i ask for what you searched or how you found it?
              I often search Reddit itself for things like this but it turned up in a google search.

I think I just searched "AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Ubuntu 20.04" or some variation

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Freakadele View Post
                The problem is I can only boot into Kubuntu if I choose the path over the rescue start. Else i get stuck booting while showing the OEM-Logo (Lenovo logo).
                I'm sorry, I haven't managed to understand that. Do you boot to a so-called "grub rescue" prompt, which, the last time I got it, looked like "grub> "?

And then, have to type the linux and initrd commands in their ugliness, UUIDs and all?

Anyway, I did spot something that looks wrong. The BOOT0002 EFI variable, the first in the boot order, is
                Code:
                Boot0002* ubuntu	HD(1,GPT,f1dd67a3-4ff2-4042-a56a-d03eb0ed5b72,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi)
                IIUC shimx64.efi is used with secure boot. I've read that fixes some parameters of the boot, but I've never used secure boot, so my knowledge is dubious. Without secure boot, that's usually grubx64.efi.

If you can boot into Kubuntu, I suggest rerunning grub-install:
                Code:
                sudo grub-install /dev/nvme0n1
                and then check what the EFI boot variables say. (If one can't boot into Kubuntu on a drive, one boots the Kubuntu live media and uses chroot to grub-install from the right place. I've only ever done it once.)

grub-install used to run grub-mkconfig but the last time I used grub-install, grub-mkconfig wasn't run.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                X