Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make window titlebars transparent?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Settings] How to make window titlebars transparent?

Hello, this is my first post here.

I am a Windows 10 refugee. I'm tired of Microsoft's increasing efforts to monitor everything I do on my computer: even local searches on MY machine are apparently now being routed via MS servers. I'm tired of constantly having to dig into the OS to fend off their nosy, busybody efforts.

Plus, I miss the gorgeous esthetics of Aero Glass in Windows Vista and Windows 7, and that is the specific reason I'm posting here now. When I was looking for a Linux distribution to switch to, I chose Kubuntu (18.04 LTS) because its desktop had the sharpest, cleanest look. But I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to recreate that Aero Glass transparency (or maybe better, translucence) on the titlebar and borders of a window.

Currently on KDE Plasma version 5.12.9; KDE Frameworks version 5.44.0; Qt version 5.9.5; Kernel version 4.15.0-76-generic. I've been poking around the Settings and found some references to changing the opacity, but nothing yet that seems to control the opacity of window titlebars only.

I've experimented with a number of prepackaged desktop themes, for example Svista and Seven Black. But I haven't found a way to change the opacity of just the titlebar, what I've tried seems to make the whole window transparent (there was some setting to change the opacity with the mouse wheel) but that's not what I'm looking to do.

Any tips pointing me in the right direction will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Campeador Cid; Feb 09, 2020, 01:54 PM. Reason: typo

You need a transparent window decoration, or a addon theme engine such as Kvantum, and a transparent theme for that and/or some settings tweaks.

Comment

Thank you, I will read up on Kvantum. I'm still trying to understand the difference (in System Settings) between "look and feel" and "desktop theme", and now you introduced me to a "theme engine". Obviously I have a lot to learn!

In the meantime, how would I look for a transparent window decoration -- are they marked as such in the KDE Store?

FWIW, my current "look and feel" is Vista-blue, and the desktop theme is Svista. They seem to work together well enough, except for that titlebar transparency.

Comment

In system settings, go to the Window Decoration section, and clock 'get new window decorations', same as how you get new themes, etc.
        Search for "transparent". There are a number of different ones, and don't require extras like Kvantum. I am sure there are Win7 or Win 10 type of windecos.

It is slightly confusing, but for themeing there are different components

Window decorations - title bars, and window borders
        Color schemes - application colors
        Plasma Themes - panel and widget appearance
        Icon Themes

Then there are the somewhat new Global Themes. These take a number of the above (or all of them) , and sometimes extra like SDDM login manager themes, to make a single overall package deal.

Comment

Thanks! I looked under "Get New Decorations" under "Window Decorations", and it turns out that I already have one of the choices installed, Seven Black (https://store.kde.org/p/1002615). There is also a Seven Blue.

The description says "Opaque decorations included" but the images are shown with transparent titlebars. So now the question is, how to get those transparent titlebars without making the rest of the window transparent.

I guess that one difficulty I'm running into is that I don't have a handle on the relationship between "look and feel" on the one hand, and "desktop theme" on the other. So if I have the Vista-blue "look and feel" installed along with the "Seven Black" desktop theme, do they stop each other from working correctly?

But then, it looks like I must have a "look and feel" selected, and Seven Black is not one of the choices. Oh wait, Seven Black is not even a "desktop theme," it's listed under Application Style --> Window Decorations. (In addition to Vista-blue, my "look and feel" choices are Breeze, Breeze Dark, and Kubuntu.) So now I have three balls to juggle: Look and Feel, Desktop Theme, and Window Decorations. How do I pick a "look and feel" (or whatever) that will allow me to adjust the opacity of the titlebars only?

OK, I have thrown up a lot of stuff up there. If we need to focus on a specific question, it would be how to get Seven Black to show more transparent titlebars without making the rest of the window more transparent too.
          Last edited by Campeador Cid; Feb 09, 2020, 11:05 PM. Reason: additional material

Comment

Anyone know how to add a space between decorations? Used to be easy in KDE4

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Anyone know how to add a space between decorations? Used to be easy in KDE4
              /home/dkb/.local/share/aurorae/themes/Sweet-Dark/Sweet-Darkrc has:
              Code:
              [Layout]
              BorderBottom=1
              BorderLeft=1
              BorderRight=1
              ButtonHeight=13
              ButtonMarginTop=2
              #ButtonSpacing=8
              ButtonSpacing=28
              ButtonWidth=13
              Changing ButtonSpacing from 8 to 28 spaces out the min/max/close buttons.

I don't know where the default Breeze files are and whether they're amenable to such changes.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by chimak111; Feb 10, 2020, 08:36 PM.
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

What values could one set in the configuration file for, say, Seven Black to adjust the opacity/transparency of the window titlebar (only)?

Comment

Originally posted by Campeador Cid View Post
                  What values could one set in the configuration file for, say, Seven Black to adjust the opacity/transparency of the window titlebar (only)?
                  The changelog dates back four years. It maybe better to find (very) recent themes matching your Plasma version.
                  Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Sadly, I haven't found any more recent themes that seek to replicate the look of Vista/Win7 windows. Windows 10-based themes are uninteresting because they're too different from that (with opaque white titlebars, squared-off corners, flat window control buttons).

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                      /home/dkb/.local/share/aurorae/themes/Sweet-Dark/Sweet-Darkrc has:
                      Code:
                      [Layout]
                      BorderBottom=1
                      BorderLeft=1
                      BorderRight=1
                      ButtonHeight=13
                      ButtonMarginTop=2
                      #ButtonSpacing=8
                      ButtonSpacing=28
                      ButtonWidth=13
                      Changing ButtonSpacing from 8 to 28 spaces out the min/max/close buttons.

I don't know where the default Breeze files are and whether they're amenable to such changes.
                      Appreciate that. What I want is this:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200210_215354b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	644589

instead of this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200210_215354.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	644590

Please Read Me

Comment

locate decoration | grep svg comes up empty (for Breeze) on Kubuntu 18.04. I haven't checked 20.04. If there is such a file, it maybe possible to edit it to increase inter-button space selectively.
                        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Breeze GTK is located under /usr/share/themes/
                          Default Plasma themes under /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/

I'm using the latest KDE Neon. Your mileage may vary...
                          Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

I get the feeling that customizing the appearance of windows is something of a dark art. Does anyone know of a detailed, A-to-Z guide for KDE/Plasma customization?
                            Last edited by Campeador Cid; Feb 12, 2020, 10:41 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Campeador Cid View Post
                              I get the feeling that customizing the appearance of windows is something of a dark art. Does anyone know of a detailed, A-to-Z guide for KDE/Plasma customization?
                              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...kx6ytKN2CkVDjZ is a somewhat old, but largely valid, series of videos on customizing KDE Plasma. But I don't think it goes into details of what you want.
                              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                              X