This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrating from window 7 to kubuntu

Take it easy on me. I have never done this before. Microsoft finally go something right and made a beautifully functional OS with 7...so of course they will stop supporting it by mid January next year. I'm tired of Microsoft's bull**** so I am migrating to Kubuntu. I chose Kubuntu because it's supposedly deigned for people moving from Window to Linux for the first time.

I have downloaded and burned to a DVD an ISO image of kubuntu 18.04.3. I tried to restart and boot from the DVD but it failed to boot. I then unzipped the ISO file to the DVD and tried again o boot from the DVD and once again it failed. Any help would be appreciated. Details of my computer are below:

Dell Precision Laptop
    Windows 7 professional
    i7 quadcore CPU
    16 gb ram
    500 gb SSD

you have to burn as a disk image look hear , https://www.tutonics.com/2012/07/how...d.html#Windows and go to the windows section .

a live USB would be better this is a good tool for that https://www.balena.io/etcher/

gota go to a DR right now but someone elce will jump in if you have more Questions

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

TexasGuy1988 You've made a wise choice in Kubuntu and also in posting to this forum. You'll find fellow refugees from the Microsoft universe here (me included). DO ask questions as you negotiate the learning curve.

I agree with Vinny, above, that using a USB stick for installation is probably (IMO) easier. However, the DVD remains viable, but if you used a Windows utility to create/write the DVD, I'd look carefully at the configuration to be sure it is set to make the DVD bootable.

Start by checking your BIOS boot sequence to be sure it looks at the DVD or USB device BEFORE the SSD drive.
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

As vinnywright said, you need to burn the ISO as an image to the boot/install media. A USB is better/faster than a DVD in terms of installing, plus the USB gives you a better opportunity to run Kubuntu as a "live" session. With a "live"session you can run Kubuntu, play with features, discover difficulties that might exist with Kubuntu and your hardware, and make sure that you are familiar with requirements and the "look and feel" of Kubuntu.

Or, you can just jump right in!

Etcher is a decent image burner, and in Windows Rufus is likewise pretty good. Either way, the image that is the ISO file has to be burned to the USB device to create executable and readable files on the USB device. It's not a matter of just copying the ISO. It doesn't take long to burn the ISO to USB, regardless of the tool used and as long as no hiccups occur, it will work just fine.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Burn to USB using Etcher - it's never failed me. Also, I have a lot of Dell's that run Linux and it's a good choice hardware wise. Dell supplies Linux off and on so their computers almost all run Linux without a hitch.

If I was to give one piece of advice it would be to take it slow. Many new Linux users try to do too much too fast and end up breaking their installs - more than once usually. I suggest tackling one area at a time - Start with pre-installation prep, like how to partition and format your drives, read a bit about the differences in the basic filesystems, etc. Then once installed, tune your install to the hardware, making sure everything is running right. Learn to make backups of your home folder. THEN start installing new stuff and playing with eye-candy.

Please Read Me

Comment

This post was made a while ago. I am now actually writing this from the freshly installed Kubuntu. I am not sure what I was doing wrong the first time, but obviously it worked this time. Thanks for the help anyways guys.

Comment

Cool! Now that you have arrived at the station, ask for directions - lots of really good people here. Or "hear" if you're vinnywright
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by TexasGuy1988 View Post
                I am now actually writing this from the freshly installed Kubuntu. I am not sure what I was doing wrong the first time, but obviously it worked this time.
                Congratulations, TexasGuy1988, and say hello to my ex-wife next time you're in Dallas. (Yes, all my ex's live in Texas.)

I dual boot into Kubuntu and Windows 10 and only go over to the "dark side" when I have to and that doesn't happen often. You can do almost anything in Kubuntu. Occasionally, there's a little learning curve but good documentation and videos are readily available. Time spent becoming more knowledgeable about Linux in general and Kubuntu specifically is time well spent indeed.

By now, you've probably seen articles about the NSA alerting Microsoft about yet another security problem with the Windows OS. This time it's Windows 10, their latest and allegedly greatest. I've seen estimates that about a third of the world is running Windows 7. Imagine the security nightmare that might blossom into now that it's receiving NO support of any kind. I think your departure was extremely well timed.
                "Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas."
                Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

How-to Geek published this article yesterday, "How to Secure Your Windows 7 PC in 2020."
                  https://www.howtogeek.com/509175/how...ystem-in-2020/

I guess if you have to, you have to, but Kubuntu is easy and secure. And fully supported!
                  Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Not bothering to read it, but the first line should be: "Remove Windows 7 and install Linux."

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      Not bothering to read it, but the first line should be: "Remove Windows 7 and install Linux."
                      Not that it matters much anymore, but I did a clean install and starting with a wiped drive and have been live on Kubuntu for about 2 weeks now. This thread was pre December when I was still in the planning stages. There is a whole other thread titled "just fired Microsoft" that has just been moved to the water cooler section if you care to check it out. It is more recent and relevant

Comment

Originally posted by mick.kde View Post
                        Congratulations, TexasGuy1988, and say hello to my ex-wife next time you're in Dallas. (Yes, all my ex's live in Texas.)

I dual boot into Kubuntu and Windows 10 and only go over to the "dark side" when I have to and that doesn't happen often. You can do almost anything in Kubuntu. Occasionally, there's a little learning curve but good documentation and videos are readily available. Time spent becoming more knowledgeable about Linux in general and Kubuntu specifically is time well spent indeed.

By now, you've probably seen articles about the NSA alerting Microsoft about yet another security problem with the Windows OS. This time it's Windows 10, their latest and allegedly greatest. I've seen estimates that about a third of the world is running Windows 7. Imagine the security nightmare that might blossom into now that it's receiving NO support of any kind. I think your departure was extremely well timed.
                        All by design. I bought the laptop even after seeing the wriitng on the wall. I loved 7 and wanted to ride that train as long as I could.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          It doesn't say that but it should.
                          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                            Cool! Now that you have arrived at the station, ask for directions - lots of really good people here. Or "hear" if you're vinnywright
                            LOL , yes we should all know that , vinnywright dose not spell very well , BUT I can laugh about it with ya just fine

I read on a collage level but have never got past 3-4th grade level in spelling , I am 57 now , oops

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                            X