Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Installation problem, suspect graphics card issues, nomodeset didn't work

Hello everyone, I'm having trouble installing kubuntu 19.04 from a bootable usb into a new machine at work. The original problem was that the machine wouldn't move past the logo screen, which appears to be a graphics card compatibility issue (running a Nvidia geforce 210 forsa), so I tried fiddling with boot options (nomodeset and nouveau.modeset=0) which allowed me to advance to the loading screen and get stuck there. Looking at the installation log shows a bunch of [FAILED] and dependency error messages both with and without nomodeset, I can't navigate the log to see what's at the start of the chain of errors. So that's where I'm currently at, has anyone else ecountered this issue?

is it a 64bit CPU in that box ?

if it's a 32bit machine you will probably need a different .iso

that is a bit old GPU , so maybe .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny, IIRC the 64 bit ISO won't even try to boot on a 32 bit machine. It detects the 32 CPU and tells you to get the correct image and quits.

AyyLmap, you might try a non-graphical boot to avoid loading Plymouth at all. It looks like the video card is still supported by the nVidia 340.107 driver but you can't install that until you get it booting. Maybe installing Ubuntu Server non-graphically, then installing the needed drivers, then adding the Kubuntu desktop would do it.

Without any actual error messages it's impossible to troubleshoot.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X