Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I open a Browser, I am redirected to a site that is supposed to help me.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Internet] When I open a Browser, I am redirected to a site that is supposed to help me.

I use Firefox as my Browser. I haven't been using my computer much lately and have lost lots of my own memory. I can't remember how to do things very well and need help.

When I open my Browser, a site much like "www.info.com" or many others similar, appears. They all seem to want to help, but never allow me to my site. Is there a way to block them permanently or remove them from my Browser?

Thanks Shab and Hello to those who remember me. I have not been well.

Hi Shab. Check this out to see if your issue might fall in the same category of browser ills:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...How-to-proceed
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hello Shab,
      If that didn't help, don't hesitate to ask for more help. What you describe might be some kind of malware inside of Firefox, like a malafide extension.
      If you need more help, can you give one (or more) exact addresses of the sites you are redirected too?

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        Hi Shab. Check this out to see if your issue might fall in the same category of browser ills:

www.cosumersearch.com
        www.dealsnow.com
        www.shopping.net
        www.about.com
        www.kensaq.com
        www.theweb.com
        free.myformsfinder.com
        www.directhit.com
        www.mydeal.io

These are sites that appear; all are redirections other than my chosen site. Each time I select a site, a different set of redirects appears. When I try to use one of the sites, I am continually redirected to other choices. The list of sites doesn't seem to have an end, and it is difficult getting out of the sites. It is like they get paid for hits and put you in a cycle where you keep hitting one of their sites.

I am currently unable to figure out what they are doing and why.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post

www.cosumersearch.com
          www.dealsnow.com
          www.shopping.net
          www.about.com
          www.kensaq.com
          www.theweb.com
          free.myformsfinder.com
          www.directhit.com
          www.mydeal.io

These are some of the offending sites.

Comment

These are some of the offending sites.

www.cosumersearch.com
            www.dealsnow.com
            www.shopping.net
            www.about.com
            www.kensaq.com
            www.theweb.com
            free.myformsfinder.com
            www.directhit.com
            www.mydeal.io

Comment

Shabakthanai,

Can you tell what version of Firefox you are using. It would be under the Help menu, and then down to About Firefox.

Some site along the way has inserted some bad code into your Firefox, which may require completely removing Firefox. Do you have another browser available, such as Chrome or Opera?
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

also check in firefox "preferences>general>network>network settings>settings and see if a proxy other than "system default" or a dns other than "default" https://mozilla.cloudflare-dns.com/dns-query has been set .

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

A web search for "firefox hijack linux" could give you some ideas on how to fix it.

To avoid it in the future... well, "stay away from dodgy sites" may be easier said than done, sometimes...
                  ... there is one site I visit sometimes. SFW and all, even though some ads on it are definitely not. And you can't use adblock on it.
                  Now, having a conky monitor, I noticed that my upload bandwidth when using it was right off the scale. Consistently.
                  So, even though it wasn't hijacking or injecting anything - well, it doesn't look like it anyway - it was a bit worrisome. It looked like it was uploading everything from my drive to theirs.
                  Not that I have anything worth stealing, and my passwords are in kwallet... except some are not (firefox is silly) and if kwallet is open...

So I have a Kubuntu on USB with a persistence file and a few custom things (like conky ;·) on it, I use that, it's got no passwords or anything.
                  I only use that site like twice a month or so anyway.

Comment

Steven !!!
                    It is good to hear from you, but of course I am sad that you are not well. You and I go way back, nearly to the beginning of Kubuntu, in their mailing list.
                    I was so happy to see you come over here to KFN, and see the progress you have made in learning how to do this Kubuntu thing over all these years
                    It seems you are in good hands with your browser problem, I hope you can get things straightened out, and I do hope also that your memory can improve, and that you can get in better health.

--Clay
                    Last edited by claydoh; Jul 09, 2019, 10:17 AM.

Comment

the "myformsfinder" redirect malware is rather common. You should be able to just turn it off or delete it: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...remove-add-ons

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X