This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounted NAS with Nautilis

I was able to mount my WD MyCloud NAS with Nautilis. I want to be able to put a shortcut on my desktop as well. I tried to create a shortcut and can explore to what I want to make the shortcut to however it creates a grey box with a question mark not allowing me to open. What am I doing wrong? This is frustrating as heck

Any Help is appreciated.

I am personally unfamiliar with nautilus, so I don't know what it does in mounting a drive as compared to Dolphin.
    How did you mount the NAS?
    What sort of NAS?
    What steps did you use to create the shortcut, can we assume you did it from Nautilus?
    My initial guess is that it is a permissions problem, the NAS has not been set up for user (non-sudo) access, but I could be wrong.

Comment

And, what version of Kubuntu are you using?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Generally, I wouldn't think one could make a shortcut from inside a file browser of any kind.

Please Read Me

Comment

So......

So not unlike Windows you can't create a shortcut to a network share?

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            Generally, I wouldn't think one could make a shortcut from inside a file browser of any kind.
            browser, lol!

Comment

Yes you can, but do you drag it from File Explorer to the desktop? Even if you can, Windows isn't Linux and vice-versa. Remember Windows is a walled garden, Linux is an open forest. There are many file systems, network protocols, GUI tools, programming tool kits, etc. Not everything in Linux will happen as in Windows. With Linux, there are several ways to create network shares, several types of networks, several types of file systems. If you want a solution, better to provide details, what you've tried, what you'd like to do, etc., than to rest on comparisons to Windows.

Additionally, Nautilus is not a QT based or KDE/Plasma program so most here won't know much about it. The file managers I've used allow you create shortcuts within them, like Dolphin will let you put a share into "Places". Again, in my experience, "clicking" on a network share in a file manager is a temporary connection by design. A set or more permanent connection would usually require a more in depth method than simply just clicking on it.

I suggest opening your share with Nautilus, leave it open and determine what type of network protocol is being used (NFS or SAMBA/CIFS - probably the latter), decide how you would like to use it - i.e. connected every time you boot?, mounted to a special location?, how are you going to use it?, etc. - and post your desires. You'll probably get 3-4 different answers but all of them may be right. Linux is like that.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by sparker781 View Post
                So not unlike Windows you can't create a shortcut to a network share?
                Sure you can, I just drag the folder from Dolphin to the desktop.
                The question mark thing s what is odd, hence the request for more info. This usually denotes an unknown file type, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  browser, lol!
                  Manager?
                  Explorer? - oh heavens no
                  Thingy?
                  Do-hicky?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    Manager?
                    Explorer? - oh heavens no
                    Thingy?
                    Do-hicky?
                    Heh, I totally read that wrong

Comment

Manager would probably be the correct term. You're rather picky these days, aren't you?

ROFL

Please Read Me

Comment

I just can't read. I should not post while gaming

Comment

Sorry, OP, we'll stay on topic now.......

Comment

Working...
                          X