Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can not boot to kubuntu in either dual boot or kubuntu.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Can not boot to kubuntu in either dual boot or kubuntu.

I just purchased a new Dell Inspiron 3670 with Windows 10 installed. I took my hard drive out of old computer and installed it in the new computer. When I boot the Kubuntu install media it only see my Hard drive and will not see the installed Windows 10 ssd. If I install to the hard drive I can not find a way to get to it in Windows. I have not used Windows in 15 years, so do not have a clue as to how to proceed. I would not cry if Windows 10 went away and this turned into a Kubuntu machine with the installed SSD being the Root partion and the hard drive being /home. I have listened to 20 or so you tube video's but nothing has worked. I am using a OSDisc.com flash drive so it is good. I also tried a flash drive created on this machine using Rufus but with no joy. All help greatfully excepted.

Sassy

Can we assume it boots to Windows and everything there functions properly?
    Are all the cables connected and seated properly?
    Do both drives appear in the bios setup?

Comment

Check your BIOS and see if the Windows SSD is using the RST setting. If yes, good luck accessing it from Linux. Although there are claims that you can get RST to work with Linux, I've never seen that reported using *buntu.

I had the same problem with my new laptop. If you don't care about the Windows install, just change to the AHCI setting and reformat it. If you want to keep the Windows install, the process is like boot it to Windows in rescue mode, change the driver from RST to the standard windows driver, boot into BIOS and turn off RST, boot back into Windows and let it install the correct driver, done. Took about 5 minutes. Hardest part was getting it to start in recovery mode. You might want to make a USB rescue stick before you try anything in case it goes sideways.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X