Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What things should I install in Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Utilities] What things should I install in Kubuntu?

I finally got Kubuntu up and running in a dual boot situation. Now I need to know what utilities and other programs to install.

Do I need a firewall, and if so where do I get one and/or enable one that comes with Kubuntu?
    Do I need an anti-virus, and if so please tell me what to get for Linux? If it isn't in Discover, how can I find and install it?
    What add-on do I use for reminders?

Best Password Manager? I've used KeePass2 in Windows 7, and I've used Password Gorilla in a previous Ubuntu.
    Best easily available Notes program?

What is a package manager? Do I need one?

Firewall: I've never used one in Kubuntu or any other *buntu distro.

Anti-virus: Same. There are some available but I've never used one and have never had a problem.

Password manager: I use KeyPass. Does the job and is cross platform.

Notes: I usually use a webapp for that so I can get my notes everywhere. Evernote is what I currently use.

Package manager: A package is a general word for an app or library. A package manager is a package that manages all your packages and their dependencies. Your installation of Kubuntu comes with the Muon package manager. I've never been a fan of Muon. All *buntu distros also have the apt package manager isntalled. Its a command line program that I would spend some time getting to know.

Some other apps I like:
    Clementine for music
    qbittorrent for torrents
    VLC for video
    Back in Time for backups
    Inkscape for vector graphics
    Ksnapshot for screenshots
    TypeCatcher for installing Google fonts locally

Comment

My 2 cents: I've always used and always liked Muon Package Manager. Never had an issue with it. I would learn the few commands, though, too, as the command line is a way to fix things if your GUI package manager messes up (freezes, etc.). Two big ones are simply
      sudo apt update
      sudo apt full-upgrade

At your own risk: Bleachbit. For cleaning out your system of files not being used, leftover debris, and so on. I say "at your own risk" because there is always a risk of messing something up in your system when deleting files to clean it, in any OS. Windows users have things like CCleaner. I've had good luck with Bleachbit, but do take time to learn about it and choose the settings carefully (be conservative -- don't "over-delete" things). There are ways to clean up manually, but you must go to each item and do so, like Firefox caches & history & cookies, Chromium, recently used files, thumbnails, then your Libre Office apps, broken desktop files, then your media players, and so on. Generally, your temp files are cleaned up each time you shutdown and reboot. After a days' use, using both Chromium and Firefox browsers, I may have 20,000-40,000 files deleted by Bleachbit (and that doesn't count tmp files). I'm not really sure how important it is to clean your system. At times, I feel my system runs better (faster, without glitches) on various websites by cleaning my system first (one example is the silly site Publisher's Clearing House, a site with a bunch of "games").
      Last edited by Qqmike; Jan 26, 2019, 09:34 AM.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

An uncomplicated firewall is ufw. I too like Clementine for my music, and VLC for videos. I use rsync on the command line for my backup solution, but am experimenting with Lucky Backup on my laptop. Kubuntu comes with Spectacle for screenshots, but there are others. I use Thunderbird as my email client and its calendar addon, Lightning. Handbrake works well as a DVD ripper. Pulseaudio Volume Control. HPLIP for my HP printer. Synaptic as the package manager. And good old apt on the command line for installing updates.

There are hundreds of options for anything you can think of. Package managers are a big deal, it seems. Discover and Muon come with Kubuntu, but Synaptic has some very good advantages; and I don't like Discover. Muon is tolerable. If you dig into Office suites, you will find proponents and opponents of every one of them.

Others will probably be along with their faves, and Google can be useful, too.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I see you are having issues so won't expect a reply any time real soon.

I guess this is really a personal thing, so the only global thing I can think of is Chrome, and some will prefer Chromium as it is said to collect less personal info, tracking perhaps. Otherwise it is just what your personal needs are. Kubuntu, and many linux distros these days come with lot's of tools and software, even if you only have to install it from a software manager.

Gtkhash for hashing software downloads.

I install Sophos to scan windows drives.

I install psensor because I use a laptop for now and like to monitor my Temps, and setup temp warnings.

I usually install mscorefonts to make LibreOffice a little more compatible with MS Word.

Here are a few links that help to learn a things about Kubuntu Settings and even a few preferred apps.
          ubuntubuzz

Ubuntu and Kubuntu
          itsfoss
          Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty7 View Post
            >>>>>>

Gtkhash for hashing software downloads.

>>>
            I used to use GTKhash but since Dolphin can do it just as easily GTKhash has become superfluous.
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

That's good to know, is it easy to do? I just looked but don't see any software to do so. Perhaps you are talking about via the Terminal? EDIT: Got it, didn't know about that: Properties > Checksums!
              Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty7 View Post
                That's good to know, is it easy to do? I just looked but don't see any software to do so. Perhaps you are talking about via the Terminal? EDIT: Got it, didn't know about that: Properties > Checksums!
                That's cool. I didn't know that had been added. Years ago I wrote a service menu to do the same thing. I guess I wasn't the only one when wanted that...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X