X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdesu kate can't run

[Content deleted]
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 07, 2018, 07:39 AM. Reason: Registered spammer on Stop Forum Spam

Kate doesn't run as root anymore. Fortunately, running it as root is not necessary anymore either, you can just open the file in kate normally (as a regular user)...kate will ask for your password when you save the file if you don't have write access to the file.

So, instead of running "kdesu kate /etc/network/interfaces", just run "kate /etc/network/interfaces" (or open kate and open the file tthrough it's menus...or click the file in dolphin etc.), then edit and save (and give your password when asked).

Comment

Just open the file in Kate as a normal user, edit as needed, then save. It will then prompt for your password. No kdesudo or root actions needed.

You can still open nano in a terminal using sudo.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

You also don't have to edit /etc/network/interfaces to set up networking -- I don't think networkmanager reads that file anyway.

You can set it up from the systray applet

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
          Kate doesn't run as root anymore. Fortunately, running it as root is not necessary anymore either, you can just open the file in kate normally (as a regular user)...kate will ask for your password when you save the file if you don't have write access to the file.

So, instead of running "kdesu kate /etc/network/interfaces", just run "kate /etc/network/interfaces" (or open kate and open the file tthrough it's menus...or click the file in dolphin etc.), then edit and save (and give your password when asked).
          So Root Actions doesn't work in 18.04? All that work you did! Of course this sounds pretty simple.

Comment

Networking is done through "netplan" now.

Personally, I think the new way kate works is smarter and more user friendly. No more re-launching kate is a second session just to make a small root-level edit.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by wartnose View Post
              So Root Actions doesn't work in 18.04? All that work you did! Of course this sounds pretty simple.
              Most of the actions still work, just not open with text editor (if you are using kate/kwrite) and open in file manager (if you are using dolphin)...other editors and file managers (like krusader) still start as root.

Anyway, my real hope is that the kio policykit integration will eventually make the root actions menu completely redundant (like ktexteditor policykit integration has already done it for kate/kwrite). The menu filled a need for a time, but if a better and more intuitive way is finally integrated into the file managers, I'm happy to let the service menu fade away into oblivion.

Comment

After a normal install of Kubuntu (or Neon) all one has to do to connect to the Internet via an Ethernet cable is to plug it in. It automatically connects.

For a WIFI connection just left clicking on the NetworkManager Icon in the system tray, choosing your ESSID, and entering your password is all that is necessary. Editing /etc/network/interfaces shouldn’t be necessary unless you need to create an IPv6 tunnel or want to use that file to add to the DNS list.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X