Applications move to the second monitor when I wake up the PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Applications move to the second monitor when I wake up the PC

I usually put my PC in sleep mode when I go to sleep every night and wake it up in the mornings, but every time it wakes up the apps move to the second monitor, I realized that the second monitor (HDMI) wakes up faster than the primary monitor (Display Port) so Kubuntu thinks for a moment that only the second monitor is available and makes it the primary monitor for a moment, so when the first monitor finally wakes up it's too late all the apps were moved to the second one, how I can make the first monitor to be the primary monitor always and my apps stay in the first monitor?

My Specs:
    Intel i7 13700k
    AMD Radeon 7800XT
    32gb RAM DDR5

Thanks in advance

Additionally to your hardware info you could also tell us:
    • Kubuntu release version & kernel
    • KDE Plasma version
    • KDE Frameworks version
    • Kubuntu Backports PPA(s) enabled?
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

This is really problem caused by the hardware. The desktop management is supposed to move the apps to an active monitor so the solution will have to be creative. My system behaves similarly when the screens are woken up from power saving mode.

You also didn't say what brand name is on the card. Assuming it has 3 DP ports and 1 HDMI port, consider getting a DP to HDMI adapter (or cable) so you can use the DP ports for both monitors. Also consider the port sequence and possibly swapping the monitor cable ports so that your main monitor is initialized first.

Beside the info Schwarzer asked for - since this is a graphics issue - knowing which graphics environment is necessary: X11 or Wayland.

As far as specific applications, you can force their position using "Configure Special Application Settings" or "Configure Special Window Settings". These are accessible by right-clicking on the application window title bar and choosing " More Actions > ". In those menus are settings to force window size, position, and monitor.

If you're using X11 a simple script maybe end up being needed to control the monitors manually.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        Additionally to your hardware info you could also tell us:
        • Kubuntu release version & kernel
        • KDE Plasma version
        • KDE Frameworks version
        • Kubuntu Backports PPA(s) enabled?
        Thanks for your responses!
        I am using Kubuntu 22.04
        Plasma version: 5.24.7
        KDE Frameworks 5.92.0
        Kubuntu Backports[/I] PPA(s) enabled? I am not sure how I get this information

I am using X11, the card is ASUS TUF RX 7800XT

I used to have an nvidia card (RTX 3070ti) with a Ryzen 7 5800X and Ubuntu 20.04 and this didn't happen only with this AMD card I have now, maybe I need to install the official AMD driver?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by tronoslycer View Post
          maybe I need to install the official AMD driver?
          No, the official desktop/user/gaming driver IS the open source one. The proprietary AMDGPU-PRO driver actually uses this as a base, and is for professional workstation use. Please don't try installing it, unless you sort of like some pain and frustrations

Comment

Some things come to mind that you could try…
            1. The specifications of your graphics card say:
              3 x Native DisplayPort 2.1
              1 x Native HDMI 2.1
              -> Any chance to use only DisplayPorts for your two monitors?
            2. If the quality and resolution of the two monitors are equal: exchange them?
            3. You are using Plasma 5.24.x - the multi-monitor support in general has been improved in Plasma 5.27.x.
              So you could add both the official Kubuntu Backports and Backports Extra PPAs to get Plasma 5.27.x et al. for Kubuntu 22.04 LTS.
              Also see e.g.:
              KDE Plasma 5.27.10 available in Kubuntu Backports Extra
              and
              Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings
            claydoh already more or less suggested my first two ideas (sorry) - the third one is why I asked for Plasma version and Kubuntu Backports
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 28, 2024, 04:54 PM.
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by tronoslycer View Post
              the card is ASUS TUF RX 7800XT
              being on 22.04 (aka old) , you *might* possibly, maybe see useful general improvements on your relatively recent video card.
              The kernel in Jammy is good now (6.5) for hardware support for this card but the Mesa drivers (3d acceleration, etc) *may* benefit from an update (there are various PPAs) , if you do any gaming.
              I don't think this would help the screen startup. An up to date set of firmware files *might* help as well:

Go here https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...-firmware.git/ to find the latest version (by date) and adjust the name to the current one shown (linux-firmware-20240312.tar.gz as of the date of this post)
              Code:
              wget https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/snapshot/linux-firmware-20240312.tar.gz
              tar -xf linux-firmware-20240312.tar.gz
              sudo cp linux-firmware-20240312/amdgpu/* /lib/firmware/amdgpu/
              sudo update-initramfs -uk 'all'

This is mostly for after dealing with the startup delays. I suspect Plasma 5.27 might be the best route here, as it has MUCH better multi-monitor support, as mentioned previously. Setting the primary should be handled better in this situation, I think.
              Me, I just swapped the cables so the one that started first was primary, then only had minor fiddling to get some games to open on the desired one.
              But really, back then, I solved it by getting two identical monitors with DP connections, as I actually had money at the time
              Last edited by claydoh; Mar 28, 2024, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                Some things come to mind that you could try…
                1. The specifications of your graphics card say:
                  3 x Native DisplayPort 2.1
                  1 x Native HDMI 2.1
                  -> Any chance to use only DisplayPorts for your two monitors?
                2. If the quality and resolution of the two monitors are equal: exchange them?
                3. You are using Plasma 5.24.x - the multi-monitor support in general has been improved in Plasma 5.27.x.
                  So you could add both the official Kubuntu Backports and Backports Extra PPAs to get Plasma 5.27.x et al. for Kubuntu 22.04 LTS.
                  Also see e.g.:
                  KDE Plasma 5.27.10 available in Kubuntu Backports Extra
                  and
                  Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings
                claydoh already more or less suggested my first two ideas (sorry) - the third one is why I asked for Plasma version and Kubuntu Backports
                THIS SOLVED MY ISSUE, I updated plasma to 5.27 and now when I wake the PC the apps appear in their respective monitor, thanks!!
                thanks very much for your responses guys!
                Last edited by tronoslycer; Mar 29, 2024, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X