Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Configuring Grub Boot Menu Timeout (no time setting ever 30 sec)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
    I keep everything basic, generic, simple, nothing exotic, sexy, or powerful, and no gaming, for example.
    Basic work: email, word processing, studies/research/learning on the Internet, some social media (at YouTube, for example).
    The only exotic thing I use is a nvidia proprietary driver, which I have to use for publishing. Figuring it out is a quest I hope nvidia remedies, before I do. I can't even understand how to use dkms properly after many hours of reading. I have put kernel updates on hold until problems start arising, then update and hope the nvidia driver and kernel match up.

Comment

Originally posted by TinyTim View Post
      I can't even understand how to use dkms properly after many hours of reading.
      You install dkms. That's it. You don't do anything afterwards.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        Maybe jglen deals with this.
        I, frankly, never give it a thought! That's because I always use integrated Intel graphics, for example.
        I install LTS, I accept any and all updates I see at Discover, and that's it, done deal.
        But, again, I may not be a typical 'Linux-type' user because I keep everything basic, generic, simple, nothing exotic, sexy, or powerful, and no gaming, for example.
        Basic work: email, word processing, studies/research/learning on the Internet, some social media (at YouTube, for example).
        I use a laptop right now. It has Intel Iris Xe graphics. When I was building my own desktop units, I kept things simple. If I had an Nvidia graphics card, I only used the recommended driver. I've tried pushing the driver envelope, but it was never worth it. When a new LTS comes out, it goes on with a clean install. Sometimes I wait until the first point release to that LTS. When I had the 22.04 LTS for a while, I moved up to the 6.5 kernel level, installed using Synaptic. As Qqmike noted, I also do every update that shows up as soon as possible within the current LTS and I use the command line to install system updates. No shade on Discover - it is getting better - but the command line gives better feedback. I have PPAs, carefully chosen. I don't chase software just because some source says it's cool, and to me if some software that is in the stock repos works well, I don't chase backports just because the version number is higher.

I don't have exotic needs, I'm something of a skeptic, and I hate to do things that are unnecessary such as jumping on the next release solely because it has a larger number.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
        X