Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Configuring Grub Boot Menu Timeout (no time setting ever 30 sec)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Configuring Grub Boot Menu Timeout (no time setting ever 30 sec)

Hello Community,

I'm having difficulty configuring the Grub boot menu timeout on my system.
    I'm trying to speed up the menu or even hide it completely, but so far, my attempts have not been successful it alwas shows the grob menu and ever with 30 sec, whatever the changes are in the grub file.

​I want a clean start, just kubuntu logo and ready.

Here is an excerpt from my current "/etc/default/grub" file:

now:

GRUB_DEFAULT="Ubuntu"
    GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

original:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

​It's the same, no changes ever 30 sec.

sudo update-grub done at the changes

I have already tried changing the GRUB_TIMEOUT setting (both with and without "") and also uncommenting GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT, but the Grub boot menu still appears. In addition, I have tried different values for GRUB_DEFAULT (0, 1, "Ubuntu") without success, only the changing * change from Ubuntu to Ubuntu advanced if I change 0 to 1.

with LVM

Operating System: Kubuntu 23.10
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.8
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.110.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.10
    Kernel Version: 6.5.0-14-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 12 × Intel® Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    Memory: 31.2 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 630​

Are there additional steps or configurations I should consider? Perhaps I've overlooked something, or there are system-specific adjustments that I haven't taken into account.

Thank you in advance for your help!

P.S.: I've found forum posts with similar issues, but in reverse (menu not appearing), and those solutions didn't work for me either.

Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 14, 2024, 03:44 PM.

The 30 second timeout is caused by the "recordfail" setting. Basically it supposed to revert to 30 seconds if a previous boot failed. There are some conditions where it kinda gets stuck at 30 seconds, like using btrfs in the past. Maybe using LVM is the cause.

So if you want to not ever see the grub menu, set STYLE to hidden and leave timeout to zero and add GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT=0 to /etc/default/grub and then run update-grub.

HOWEVER this means you will not ever have a chance to "grab" the grub menu if something goes wrong. The reason for this feature is sometimes a kernel won't boot and this allows you to boot an older kernel. Maybe if you stab the ESC key at the right moment, you'll be able to get the menu in an emergency, but it's a risk or at least a PITA.

As far as the GRUB_DEFAULT, zero means the latest kernel so there's not really an benefit to changing it unless you're looking to boot a distro or kernel that's not the default.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you for your assistance! The modification to GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT in the /etc/default/grub file resolved the issue. The Grub menu is no longer displayed, and the timeout is set to 0 seconds.

I appreciate your support.

By the way, do you happen to know if enabling fastboot is risky? I tried this with Linux Mint before, and it caused the BIOS to reset since I couldn't press F2 quickly enough. Also, do you have any insights on achieving a clean boot with only the logo and no text? I've seen this on macOS, but I'm not sure if it's possible on Linux. It's more of a curiosity than a necessity.

Best regards!

Comment

AFAIK "Fast boot" is a windows thing. I believe it will make your windows file system unreadable by Linux if enabled. If you're talking about some BIOS fastboot system you'll have to refer to your mobo maker. I never heard of any boot configuration causing BIOS to reset.

By "clean" boot you mean nothing on screen until the log in screen?

Grub has a menu - that you've disabled and zeroed out. Most BIOS have a splash screen of some sort - and again, your PC maker would be the one to discuss that with. My Lenovo laptop shows a branded splash screen twice - before the grub menu loads and again after. I believe this is because the BIOS holds a frame buffer open with the splash logo and it doesn't go completely away until the graphics card loads the SDDM log in menu. It's slightly annoying I'l grant you but noth worth mucking about with my BIOS over.

Please Read Me

Comment

The whole point for fast boot (as a BIOS setting) is to skip all the POST and other startup scanning.
          My Asrock has "Ultra" fast boot:

Fast Boot
          Fast Boot minimizes your computer's boot time. In fast mode you may not boot
          from an USB storage device. The VBIOS must support UEFI GOP if you are using
          an external graphics card. Please notice that Ultra Fast mode will boot so fast that
          the only way to enter this UEFI Setup Utility is to Clear CMOS or run the Restart
          to UEFI
          utility in Windows​
          Not worth it for the very minimal boot time saving, for me, as well as monitors not fully powering on until it is just about to the OS login screen, sometimes (unless one has a long grub timeout)

However, if booting to the bios is an issue, one can set it to boot to it from within Plasma:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240114_165818.png
Views:	198
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	676212
          So, using a fast boot feature isn't completely crappy.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            AFAIK "Fast boot" is a windows thing. I believe it will make your windows file system unreadable by Linux if enabled..
            Correct, Windows fast boot, places Windows into hibernation mode, where it is not really shut down. Linux will mount that drive in read only mode, because in that state Windows is unstable. If one ever finds a need to simply turn off that Windows fast boot, ... when you shut down Windows, hold down the shift key and it will disable fast boot. Then Linux can mount that drive, for read, write, copy, exe. I wanted to mention this simply because the amount of time to find that tiny bit of information took a very long time. Plus: K/Ubuntu is a excellent system for mounting crashed Win systems to recover files.

Comment

Originally posted by TinyTim View Post
              Windows fast boot, places Windows into hibernation mode, where it is not really shut down
              Actually, this is Windows Fast Startup

Fastboot, or Quick Boot, or other names are for the BIOS speedup thing (from the OP's mention of F2 during boot)
              Everything is sooo clear and uniquely named these days

Comment

My motherboard is an ASUS Prime B360M-C. The reset can be done directly on the board or traditionally by removing the CMOS battery. I resolved the issue of it starting too quickly and not being able to press F2 by adjusting the BIOS settings.

While I initially understood that Fast Boot in the BIOS is typically designed for Windows only, there are BIOS versions that support it for other operating systems. Unfortunately, I'm not sure about the capabilities of my specific motherboard. As for the logo or splash screen, my board allows two variants with customizable seconds. I currently have it set to 0 seconds so no ASUS logo.

Ideally, I would prefer a completely clean start with just a brief Kubuntu logo and no text or blinking, leading straight to the login screen.

I understand it might sound a bit trivial, but that's why we love Linux - the flexibility to customize everything.
                If Apple can achieve it, then certainly Linux can, and probably in a more aesthetically pleasing way ;-)

Comment

The text - if you mean boot messages from the kernel - can be tweaked. There are different levels of messaging that can appear, though going too high will also block real errors.
                  You can set different log levels in Grub.
                  Also, the Plymouth splash ( seen between grub and the login) can be themed/edited/replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

Fastboot, or Quick Boot, or other names are for the BIOS speedup thing (from the OP's mention of F2 during boot)
                    Everything is sooo clear and uniquely named these days
                    Yes, uniquely and when one tiny character including a blank space can keep your system from booting, thank you for pointing out this detail.

Comment

Computer companies come up with all kinds of new gimmicks, all the time. Some may be decent ideas, others are just marketing crap.

More than ever before, the user needs to be certain of their own use case, question everything, and not adopt just because it sounds cool.

When I turn on my laptop, it's up and ready at the password prompt in less than 10 seconds. I don't use Snaps, and with every post about problems with Snaps, I'm thankful for my decision. Everything that Kubuntu LTS provides to my computing experience is exactly what I need, and has been since Kubuntu first had LTS. I only do clean installs with each new LTS. UEFI works perfectly after every install. I have an effective and easy to do backup process. I'm at kernel 6.5.0-14, which just works without hiccups. All of which is because the biggest component of my use case is stability. There's no point in having a computing system that wastes my time with crashes, and random actions.

If your use case is such that chasing after the latest and greatest app, kernel, and unproven hardware is important, then good luck
                      The next brick house on the left
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

I have exactly the same philosophy/use case as jglen.

As for this:
                        If your use case is such that chasing after the latest and greatest app, kernel, and unproven hardware is important, then good luck
                        I call that a "hobby." That's h-o-b-b-y [period]
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                          I have exactly the same philosophy/use case as jglen.

As for this:

I call that a "hobby." That's h-o-b-b-y [period]
                          What is you and Cyborg's process to maintain these stable systems? Do you just place a hold on kernel updates until the LTS? *I'm very interested due to Nvidia drivers "issues". I don't want the latest, I want the stablest, I'm even willing to sacrifice perceived security issues for stability.

Comment

What is you and Cyborg's process to maintain these stable systems?
                            Maybe jglen deals with this.
                            I, frankly, never give it a thought! That's because I always use integrated Intel graphics, for example.
                            I install LTS, I accept any and all updates I see at Discover, and that's it, done deal.
                            But, again, I may not be a typical 'Linux-type' user because I keep everything basic, generic, simple, nothing exotic, sexy, or powerful, and no gaming, for example.
                            Basic work: email, word processing, studies/research/learning on the Internet, some social media (at YouTube, for example).
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Playing around directly in the GRUB boot process is probably not a good idea. However, for a quick and dirty solution, is it possible to simply change the text color in the boot process to black?

ChatGPT means:

Code:
                              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash vt.default_red=0 vt.default_green=0 vt.default_blue=0"​
                              Last edited by derNarr; Jan 16, 2024, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X