Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2K LG Ultragear monitor being 'overdriven' to 4k by Kubuntu.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Monitors] 2K LG Ultragear monitor being 'overdriven' to 4k by Kubuntu.

• The version/release of Kubuntu you are using.(See below)(
    • Whether Kubuntu is actually installed, or is running "live" from a bootable USB Flash Drive or LiveCD. Installed to drive
    • If Kubuntu is installed, is it the only OS on the PC, or is it installed alongside another OS (Windows or ...) or is it installed in a VM (Virtual Machine)? Windows 10 and Kubuntu
    • The version of KDE Plasma installed.
    ​Operating System: Kubuntu 23.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.4
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.104.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.8
    Kernel Version: 6.2.0-32-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz
    Memory: 7.4 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 530​
    Computer is running an Asus H110m-k board, with an Intel i5 6400, with Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06), and therein lies my problem.
    I'm running it on an LG UltraGear 23GN600-B.... a 32" 2560x1440, 165Hz monitor, but running it via DVI to HDMI cable.

Now that I got the details out of the way, the issue I am having is ... the IGPU is overdriving the monitor but badly.
    It's forcing it to 3840x2160 at 30Hz or if I manually switch it, to 2560x1440 at 60Hz.

The refresh is most likely due to the DVI cable, but, it shouldn't be showing me 4K at all.

I've tried every way from Sunday to get the correct drivers, even going so far as to nuking both my Win 10 and Kubuntu installs yesterday (Sept. 10, 2023) and starting from scratch.

So ... how do I force Kubuntu to find the *real" specs of my monitor? Windows 10 has a driver for the monitor specifically, but I can't find one on LG's site, or in "Discover".

Anyway, thanks for reading to the end, and I look forward to learning something!

As an aside, I did "Introduction to Linux" in 2012, at Seneca College. I was in the top 10 of a class of 45, but, we were using Ubuntu and doing mostly bash scripts, and uh, I haven't touched linux since 2013. SO, if I say the wrong command or something, please forgive my "sin,."

You could start by trying to edit /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup and add this:

xrandr --output DP1 --mode 2560x1440​

This assumes your install has the 2560x1440 mode available and the connection is DP1

Typing xrandr into a konsole should answer those questions.

If this works for log in but changes after login you'll need to do a bit more...

Please Read Me

Comment

It's also possible your GPU won't drive 165Hz. I had a similar issue with my Lenovo laptop that it would always set the external monitor - when connected - as the primary screen and at 60Hz, but the monitor would only display 75Hz. This would leave my with a black screen and the desktop on the black monitor. I eventually wrote a startup script that would check the external port to see if it was connected, and if so to set the monitor res. correctly.

Please Read Me

Comment

I did say above that I'm using DVI to HDMI cable, as the motherboard only has D-SUB 15 or DVI.

It'll run 2560x1440 at 30hz. Which, after some more research, appears to be the max. BUT log in page is usually over driven, and/or doesn't display properly, so I have to hope and pray, that the cursor is in the password box, then type in my pw.

Comment

Originally posted by IamAllan View Post
          BUT log in page is usually over driven, and/or doesn't display properly,
          The login screen (SDDM) runs in a separate Xorg instance, until one logs in. You will need to try oshunluvr's suggestion to find a good xrandr command, and add it to the config file.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

The login screen (SDDM) runs in a separate Xorg instance, until one logs in. You will need to try oshunluvr's suggestion to find a good xrandr command, and add it to the config file.
            Sometime in the very near future, I'll probably buy a 3060 or 2080 and slap that in there, for better graphics.

I haven't played with Linux in a decade, so every time I need to do something other than watch Youtube, I have to search how to do it. 🤣
            I've been building computers since 2002, and have been using Windows since 1994. Maybe 1995. I think in 1993/1994 we had Warp 2.0 on the school PC's.

Anyway, I'll give Oshunluvr's suggestion in a bit.

Comment

In Linux, monitors don't have 'drivers' or use .inf files, but read the EDID info directly from the hardware.
              This usually works just fine, except for some TVs in my experience, or when using adapters. Which are not all created equal, for sure.
              Last edited by claydoh; Sep 12, 2023, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X