X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen after some time and no response

Hello!

I'm using Ubuntu on my Laptop for a year now or even longer and now switched to Kubuntu.
    I want to install Kubuntu also on my PC too, but my PC rejects any kind of linux... I've tried so many linuxes and the problem is the same for all of them. I've tried OpenSuse, Arch and it's derivatives (Manjaro, Antergos), Ubuntu (Mint, Kubuntu), and others.
    TL ; DR what is happening: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hw...brscuVRHUHSuvY
    It can happen using live cd or after installation
    now, how to make it happen: just do something or don't do anything and after random amount of time the screen will just go black and that's it, 0 response afterwards.
    Commonly, before blacking out, there are some artifact lines over the screen.
    I know, it's GPU problem and it looks like gpu core does not have enough voltage? If that's the problem, how do I fix that??
    Note, that I have sth between 15 sec to 2 min before blacking out... It's a miracle I managed to install it. It was artifacting, but kept itself alive.
    PC specs:
    i5-6500
    AMD MSI R9 390
    2x monitors, both FHD, one is 75HZ with freesync, other is 60HZ regular. With only one regular monitor being connected, situation does not changes.
    2x 4GB Ballistix Tactical DDR4-2666
    3HDDs (1TB windows 10, 160GB for archive and 160GB for linux dualboot)
    MB: Asus Ranger VIII
    Using latest ISO for Kubuntu 17.10.1

Please help, I'm so tired of Windows, especially when I need to work...
    Last edited by Guest; Feb 06, 2018, 03:54 PM. Reason: so many typos....

Does the behavior happen when you are running from a Live session; booted from a LiveUSB of Kubuntu?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yep. The same issue.

Comment

Assuming that your .ISO and DVD/USB drive have been verified, then have you tried appending "nomodeset" (without the quotes) to the boot line in the Live media at the menu before you start to install? It sounds like a video card problem and if you can give us the brand and model of the card it might help to find a solution.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

from what I have googled ,,,,,you will nead to set the "nomodeset" option as @jglen490 stated ,,,,,to get a usabel system but you will have cra**y graphics then look hear

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ase-Notes.aspx

and

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...O-Install.aspx

also I have googeld that a newer kernel helps 4.13 and over .

you did not say what version of Kubuntu you tried ,,,,,the latest may help .

it seams to have the vulkan packages as default .

but I don't have have any AMD hardware ,,,so do wait for someone that dose to comment ,,,their are some hear that do swear by AMD

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'd lie to point out that your operating system doesn't effect "voltage" so that suggestion doesn't hold water.

It is unusual that you get all the way to the desktop and then it goes black. It's more common that you get just black.

Here's a report like yours with same video card :https://forum.level1techs.com/t/ubun...90-help/100108

Since this is happening while running there are going to be logs. Next time you get to the black screen, see if CRTL-ALT-F1 gets you to a terminal. Then log in and try these commands and look for meaningful comments - errors or messages as to what's happening.

cat ~/.xsession-errors
            cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
            dmesg

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X