Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kernel to choose? So many options and most of them not good - Some advice.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kernel to choose? So many options and most of them not good - Some advice.

Lately a few new members have broken their installs messing around with kernel installations and removals, some to the point of leaving themselves with an unbootable condition.

I use KDEneon, a distro much like Kubuntu with a faster updating Plasma version but everything else based on (K)ubuntu 22.04 LTS, so for the purposes here, it's the same as Kubuntu 22.04

A quick command line check of installable packages, filtered by the words "linux" and "limage" reveals a whopping 334 kernel images. Trimming out all this that are immediately undesirable or not needing consideration: those that are "unsigned", "oem" (more on this is a bit) and the meta packages - which aren't actually kernels - leaves a manageable 10 kernel images.

Kubuntu 22.04
    Code:
    linux-image-5.15.0-25-generic - Signed kernel image generic
    linux-image-5.15.0-72-generic - Signed kernel image generic
    linux-image-5.15.0-73-generic - Signed kernel image generic
    linux-image-5.15.0-75-generic - Signed kernel image generic
    linux-image-5.15.0-76-generic - Signed kernel image generic
    linux-image-5.19.0-41-generic - Signed kernel image generic
    linux-image-5.19.0-42-generic - Signed kernel image generic
    linux-image-5.19.0-43-generic - Signed kernel image generic
    linux-image-5.19.0-45-generic - Signed kernel image generic
    linux-image-5.19.0-46-generic - Signed kernel image generic ​
    My Kubuntu 23.04 install shows even fewer:
    Code:
    linux-image-6.2.0-20-generic - Signed kernel image generic
    linux-image-6.2.0-23-generic - Signed kernel image generic
    ​linux-image-6.2.0-24-generic - Signed kernel image generic
    ​linux-image-6.2.0-25-generic - Signed kernel image generic

but without filtering 273 kernels are available

The point of this is: You do not need and should not install any kernels other than the generic kernels, unless you know for a fact that your system requires a specific non-standard kernel.

"oem" kernels are special kernels for specific hardware not in the ubuntu kernels. Again, unless you know for a fact you need one, don't even attempt to install them. The process can lead to the generic kernel being removed automatically possible leaving you with in an unbootable state.

Don't get me wrong: I am 100 % for trying new things and testing out stuff, even right up to the point of breakage. But unless re-installing your OS on a regular basis is your kind of fun, you might want to leave the the most important part of your OS - the kernel - to the experts and stick with what works.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 19, 2023, 01:33 PM.

Please Read Me

To add to this great advice, the only words in the names of kernel packages that are 'stock' will have 'linux-image' and 'generic' in them --and nothing else other than the kernel version number, or the Ubuntu version.
    The only exception is on LTS, where you will see packages including 'hwe', along with the Ubuntu version.
    (these will be from so-called meta-packages, which I won't go into, other than they simply define a group of related packages to be installed. Such as kernels and their dependencies)
    ANYTHING ELSE should be a no-no, unless you know-know.

Click image for larger version  Name:	judge-judy.gif Views:	0 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	672588
    Last edited by claydoh; Jul 19, 2023, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I suggest to make this a sticky!
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        I suggest to make this a sticky!
        I'd rather fix the update so that those kernels wont install in the first place.
        New Linux Users dont know that they wont run so why install them?

Comment

There are also enough people who just install e.g. lowlatency, mainline or Liquorix kernels, because some person somewhere in the internet wrote that this a great idea.
        And afterwards they wonder why some things don't work anymore as they did before.

If one had kernels installed by e.g. buggy packaging, the list above shows what should be there.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 19, 2023, 12:36 PM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

• GreyGeek
          GreyGeek commented
          Editing a comment
          "Always trust what you see on the Internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

To see what actually is installed concerning the kernel (and possibly some additional packages) you can open the Konsole terminal emulator and e.g. enter
        sudo dpkg -l | grep -E '^ii' | awk '{first = $1; $1 = ""; print}' | sed 's/^ //g' | grep -E --color=never '^linux-'

To see the installed kernel images only enter
        sudo dpkg -l | grep -E '^ii' | grep --color=never 'linux-image'
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 20, 2023, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X