X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[System] switch from discover to muon

hello,

there is a way to change the software manager from discover to muon?
    i think the one used by ubuntu it's lighter and i like to switch to that if possible.
    if it's possible do it with konsole commands it's better.

thanks for any help

If you have Muon Package Manager installed, just run it. You are not required to use Discover.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

yes i have already installed muon, but all updates are connected to discover

the only way i know to make to work as i want is (i think it will work, but i still have to try it) to install ubuntu and then with the console
      sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
      then choose SDDM as display mananger.

but i like something quicker and avoid to burn another DVD to do as above

Comment

Muon itself does not have an update notifier/installer systray applet, and the updater systray icon may be hard coded to use Discover, so an option is to install Ubuntu's update-manager package (and remove plasma-discover) , and see if it can run in a plasma systray. I doubt it will be whole lot "lighter" as it will add and use a different set of libraries from what you already have running on your system.

Or use Muon to manually check and install updates, which is essentially the same as using the commandline.

Comment

Updates aren't tied to one GUI or another. You can use whatever you want to install upgrades or install new packages. While Synaptic, Muon, and Discover may make use of some different library files, under the hood the hard work is done by the same scripts. What I usually do when a notice shows that upgrades are available, is go to the command line and do the upgrades with apt-get. if I'm looking for a new package, either Synaptic or Muon will do the same work.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
            Updates aren't tied to one GUI or another. You can use whatever you want to install upgrades or install new packages. While Synaptic, Muon, and Discover may make use of some different library files, under the hood the hard work is done by the same scripts. What I usually do when a notice shows that upgrades are available, is go to the command line and do the upgrades with apt-get. if I'm looking for a new package, either Synaptic or Muon will do the same work.
            do you mean there is a console command to get updates? so i can update kubuntu without need to run discover?

Comment

Originally posted by Makko View Post
              do you mean there is a console command to get updates? so i can update kubuntu without need to run discover?
              i have found

sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get upgrade
              sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and it work!

get updates with the console it's the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Makko View Post
                i have found

sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-get upgrade
                sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and it work!

get updates with the console it's the best!
                Yes, LOL.

It's commonly recommended to always use "dist-upgrade" and not "upgrade" because "upgrade" will not add or remove packages, even when it's a good idea.

There's a newer command line tool to use that has good feature. It's called "apt" and for the most part, it works exactly like apt-get. one difference is you would use "full-upgrade" rather than "dist-upgrade". I suspect that change was made because many people were confused into thinking that "dist-upgrade" would upgrade the distro version (i.e. move you from 17.10 to 18.04) rather than just upgrade your packages.

The new command that apt offers is "list", which when run by itself lists all the installed packages. But the best use of "list" is after running "update" to run "list --upgradable" which will then list all packages set to upgrade by apt. So try this:

sudo apt update
                sudo apt list --upgradable
                sudo apt full-upgrade

Please Read Me

Comment

Yep! What ^ said
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
                  X