Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to say thank you on this forum, and how to mark a tread as solved?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to say thank you on this forum, and how to mark a tread as solved?

Hello everyone,

First of all this question is about the way to use kubuntuforums and as I read it here:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Before-Posting
    ``any comments or questions pertaining to this site can be posted in the Kubuntu Forums Feedback section." but when I go to the Kubuntu Forums Feedback section, I can only post in two subforums (or at least I'm only able to) which are ``I think KFN should" and ``How about a forum for" and my question goes neither in the first category nor in the second. I apologize if I missed something but I don't find any other place to post the current question.

Actually I have two questions, but they both concern the way we use this forum:
    1) Except saying ``Thank you" explicitly in a message to the people who help you on this forum, is there an additional way to thank people? Like on stack exchange by up-voting their answer? I looked a bit but didn't find an icon for this. I'm not saying the forum should include this but if it does include it and I miss it, it might look rude.

2) I already posted a couple of questions and their were answered beyond my expectations. I saw that some treads have [SOLVED] as prefix, and I would like to know how to add it to a tread (that I started) when it had been solved. Does anyone know how to do this?

Best

In answer to your first question: There is no "up voting" as such that I know of. Would be nice though. There are many threads on this forum that I certainly feel are worthy of "up voting".

In answer to your second question: If you start a thread and feel that your question has been solved satisfactorily we certainly encourage you to mark the thread as such. At the top of this thread just above the first post you will see a "Thread Tools" dropdown. At the bottom of the dropdown list you will see "Mark this thread as solved..." (you only see that item if you started the thread). Click on that and the word [SOLVED] will be prefixed to the thread title.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Thanks a lot Rod J! I will mark my threads as solved.

Have a nice day.

Comment

Robert24, I appreciate your effort to be a good Forum citizen! So, Thank you.

A comment; I think we're better off not "voting" or otherwise grading individual replies. I feel that often the answer that the thread starter likes or uses may not be the best answer for everyone nor the only "correct" answer. Rather, I think the point of a "Forum" vs. a question-answer format like Stack Exchange, is to gather differing ideas and viewpoints and let each user take away what works for them. Paraphrasing from the definition of the word Forum:

"An assembly or meeting place for the discussion of questions of public interest."

I think we accomplish that in better fashion if no weight or score is given to any particular contribution. Having said that, a "Thank you" and marking the thread "Solved" is much appreciated by all.

If you wanted to go even further, a final statement of what worked or what you had to do to achieve your solution or goal in detail may help someone else down the road. For example "That worked, thanks!" is good, but "I followed these steps to solve..." and "Now this is the result..." is even better - when appropriate of course. Some things are just so simple that level of detail may not be needed.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X