This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Kubuntu created a new drive

I downloaded Kubuntu 17.04 .iso file with the intention to make a bootable USB to test drive Kubuntu. But at the end of the download I noticed K had also created a new drive with variou folders such a preseed, pool, isolinux, etc.
    Why was that? What do I do next?

I run a Win 8.1/64-bit PC, 6 Gb Ram, intel core i7.

If all you have done is downloaded an ISO in Windows then Kubuntu has done nothing. Maybe Windows has mounted the iso file somehow?

There are instructions on how to make a bootable USB stick here: https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutoria...k-on-windows#0 Just load the ISO you want.

Once you've done that, restart the computer with the stick in and away you go.

Comment

How did you download the file? From what site?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        How did you download the file? From what site?
        I downloaded it from https://kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/

Comment

Thanks Bings. I could not find that page on my own (duh) so I appreciate your pointing me to it.
          What should I do with that mysteriously created drive: I suppose I can just delete everything on it & eliminate it?

Comment

Did you you use a download utility from within Windows, or just navigate to the file using a browser and click on the .iso to initiate the download?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Did you you use a download utility from within Windows, or just navigate to the file using a browser and click on the .iso to initiate the download?
              I went to the web page with the browser & clicked on the "download" button.

Comment

I looked into the drive in more detail: it is a CDFS (CD File System) drive called Kubuntu & it is on my hard drive. I tried to delete this volume using Windows's Disk Management tool, but in the right-click context menu the "delete volume" option is greyed out, meaning it cannot be deleted. BTW, the .iso image is in my Downloads folder.

I googled for it but there does not seem a solution. I do not understand why the Kubuntu download does this, but it is something I would expect from Microsoft or Google, but not from a Linux distro.

Comment

Kubuntu doesn't "do" this. Windows has done it. You're not running Kubuntu, you're running Windows. Kubuntu, as it is on your computer right now, is only a disc image. It's not "doing" anything except taking up space.

Maybe you're not googling the right question: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/intr...-file-explorer

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X