X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Python not working on Kubuntu 16.04.3

Hey guys,

I installed Kubuntu 16.04.3 on my laptop, I installed Python but whenever I try to launch the app it does not appear on my screen.

I followed a forum guide to install Python, below are the codes I Used in the terminal;

sudo apt install python3-dev python-pip

sudo apt install muon

I hope someone can give me an insight in how to fix this in order to use Python.

What "app" are you referring to and what makes you think it should "appear" on your screen?

Please Read Me

Comment

I am referring to the app I installed (Python), I want to learn programming with Python so I need the app to work.

Comment

Python isn't an "app" it's a programming language.

https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...u-16-04-server

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Python isn't an "app" it's a programming language.

https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...u-16-04-server
          We already know that, but why this link ? I already installed the program, its version 3.6. The problem is, if i press on the bpython3 icon, nothing appears on my screen, the software is not starting.

How do I fixt this ?

Comment

Python itself is not something that 'opens'. It is a command line tool that runs scripts that you have written. Where is this icon you see? What forum post are you referring to?
            Installing python-dev and python-pip are unnecessary for this, as python itself is already installed. You work with an advanced text editor, such as Kate, or you can use an IDE, of which there are many. These are more or less souped-up text editors with extra features.

If you want to begin learning python, simply find one of many free courses to get you started, such as:
            https://www.learnpython.org/
            https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-python
            https://www.python.org/about/gettingstarted/ and https://wiki.python.org/moin/Beginne...NonProgrammers

disclaimer: I am not a programmer, but I did create a bookmark folder for links like these in case I ever get off my duff and begin learning

Comment

Originally posted by derik-for-real View Post
              I followed "a forum guide" to install Python...
              (quotes added by Snowhog)

What forum guide? Link/URL would be informative.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

We already know that, but why this link ? I already installed the program, its version 3.6. The problem is, if i press on the bpython3 icon, nothing appears on my screen, the software is not starting.

How do I fixt this ?
                Nothing at all happens?

Note: bpython3 = https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/bpython3

bpython is a fancy interface to the Python interpreter, and has the
                following features:

* In-line syntax highlighting.
                * Readline-like autocomplete with suggestions displayed as you type
                * Expected parameter list for any Python function. Uses pydoc to attempt to
                divine params for C functions.
                * "Rewind" function to pop the last line of code from memory and re-evaluate.
                Note: this is only really useful when laying out classes and functions,
                since a true "undo" function is impossible, so be careful when using this.
                * Send the code you've entered off to a pastebin and display the pastebin URL
                for copying, etc.
                * Save the code you've entered to a file.
                * Auto-indentation.
                * Anti-Crash Mode.
                When I click the icon:

I get:

which is what I would expect.
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thats what I would like to see, but if I press on that same icon nothing happens, and guys I cant find the link, i thought I saved it but it did not.

When I installed Kubuntu 16.04.3 fresh, I was not able to find a Python icon on my applauncher, however it appeared after I used a few codes;

sudo apt install muon
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	643678Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	643679
                  Last edited by derik-for-real; Nov 24, 2017, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Thats what I would like to see, but if I press on that same icon nothing happens, and guys I cant find the link, i thought I saved it but it did not.

When I installed Kubuntu 16.04.3 fresh, I was not able to find a Python icon on my applauncher, however it appeared after I used a few codes;

sudo apt install muon
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7248[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7249[/ATTACH]
                    Again, python itself does not open like an application, it is not a program. What your image shows is icons for two third party utilities, ipython and bpython3. I am going to guess that these need to be installed as they are not part of python, python-dev, or python-pip. I can't say why these icons are there, but they should work after installing these programs.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      Again, python itself does not open like an application, it is not a program. What your image shows is icons for two third party utilities, ipython and bpython3. I am going to guess that these need to be installed as they are not part of python, python-dev, or python-pip. I can't say why these icons are there, but they should work after installing these programs.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
                      How is it possible that these icons appear there for fun? I mean After the fresh kubuntu install they were not there at all, after I installed the python program the icon appeared on my screen, but for the Ipython i installed it through the Muonpack, but even Ipython and bpython3 wont launch at all when I press on these icons.

Can someone please help me out with this, it does not make sense why I cant launch them, and I already showed which version I have through the terminal printscreen I made.

Comment

If you want to use bpython as a front end to work with python, and it doesn't start from the launcher icon, just open Konsole (or any terminal app) and run 'bpython3'.

That is basically all the launcher does.
                        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                          If you want to use bpython as a front end to work with python, and it doesn't start from the launcher icon, just open Konsole (or any terminal app) and run 'bpython3'.

That is basically all the launcher does.
                          I did what you said, this is what I get;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171128_114642.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	643680

Comment

I did what you said, this is what I get;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7253[/ATTACH]
                            That is what you should get.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                              That is what you should get.
                              Thank you very much !

Comment

Working...
                              X