Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to state partition style of the partitions I created using 22.04 Installer

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Unable to state partition style of the partitions I created using 22.04 Installer

Hello, I'm trying to safely dual-boot my Windows OS and Kubuntu 22.04:

I want to install Kubuntu on the partition with 37GB of space. Unfortunately my disk partition style is MBR and I'm having confusions because of that. I booted my second OS this way:

Once it booted normally (at least to my eyes) after cautioning me with this error:

When I tried to install using the official resizing partition way of installing, it totally skipped the partition which I wanted it to install at and shrunk the one where I store my personal files and don't want it to shrink:

I wasn't satisfied with it, so I tried the manual way and partitioned like this:

What confused and scared me is that it didn't ask me whether I want the partition to be Logical or Standard (scheme/style):

But as you can see in my first provided screenshot, I have already reached the limit of standard partitions and have two logical ones, including the one where I want to install Kubuntu. Is Kubuntu going to take care of that and automatically create logical partitions, or is it going to create a standard one after deleting the existing partitions needed to have enough capacity for a standard one?
    Last edited by eeriemyxi; Oct 22, 2022, 09:45 AM. Reason: Typo

You have answered your own question. If you are at the limit for Primary (not standard) partitions - and you are because you're using MBR partitioning, then you can only create Logical partitions. The reason the installer didn't ask you the partition type is because Logical is all it could be. There are no other choices.

So the real answer is "The Kubuntu installer isn't going create any Primary partitions because it can't."

If you were using GPT partitioning, then Extended and Logical partitions wouldn't be needed.

Please Read Me

Comment

Frankly, I stopped letting the installers partition my drives over a decade ago. I do my partitioning manually before installation so I have better control. For example, the screenshot above of the "guided" install reserved almost 60GB for Kubuntu. IMO that amount is wrong in almost every use-case. If you are going to have a separate /home partition it's too much. If you are not going to use a separate /home, it's too little.

My base line:
      Kubuntu without /home: 25GB
      Kubuntu with /home but media stored elsewhere (docs, pics, video, etc.): 30GB
      Kubuntu with /home inclusive >100GB
      If you do not have a SWAP partition, add the size of your SWAP file to the above sizes - generally the same amount as your RAM size.

So if you have no swap partition and no separate /home and you use the 37GB partition, you'll be at what I consider a minimum installation. You better be able to store your large media/data files elsewhere.

So boot the installer, choose "Manual Partitioning", select only SDA5 for "/" and check the "format" box, "Use" no other partitions, and install away.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, an alternate approach to your drive space: If you plan on using SDA6 for storing your files on so you can share them with your Windows install, there's nothing wrong with "Using" that partition as /home. Just don't format it at install time. Kubuntu won't care if your /home is an NTFS file system.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X