USB to USB folder copies (error) + how to run Dolphin as root

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Errors] USB to USB folder copies (error) + how to run Dolphin as root

Asus ROG i7 chip/16gb ram, main drive SSD on main board 512 GB/second drive 256 gb SSD. Kubuntu 21.1 KDE - Be Free // I'm copying folders to USB/SSD to a USB/SDHC and getting errors + dropping empty folders accross a drive with no content. i.e. USB drive copy errors & missing files upon copy.

Also, how do you run Dolphin as root?

Dolphin is designed not to be run as root for security reasons. If you need to copy files as root the best way to do it is in konsole or the terminal of choice. I recommend learning how to use rsync to copy files to another location.
    If you want to learn more about the current state of running dolphin as root:
    https://www.debugpoint.com/2022/02/dolphin-root-access/
    Last edited by rab0171610; Jun 12, 2022, 09:01 PM.

Comment

You can also install Krusader, which can be run as root.
      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Also, as well as alternative file browsers that can be run as root, rsync can allow you to resume copy where you left off if it fails during the transfer by running the command again. It can resume where it left off. It can also be used with verbose flags that allow you to monitor the progress of what it is copying at any given time.
        By default, rsync works silently. A single -v will give you information about what files are being transferred and a brief summary at the end. Two -v options will give you information on what files are being skipped and slightly more information at the end.
        I use rsync -v --stats --progress
        This can be used with sudo and as root. Also, if the transfer with rsync is successful but transfer with the gui fails then you know the problem is with the graphical program and not the drive. If it also fails, you could take a closer look at the drive quality to determine if it is the cause of the transfer issues.

Comment

Is rsync installed on 21.1/22.04? Are there tutorials on using it available as well?

Comment

I use this script to run Dolphin as root

pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin /
            Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

rsync -avxHAWX --numeric-ids --progress /path/to/input /path/to/output
              --info=progress2 instead of --progress is useful for large transfers, as it gives overall progress, instead of (millions of lines for) individual files.
              The flags above will make exact copies of your files including time stamps and preserve permissions
              Also:
              Code:
              man rsync
              Code:
              rsync --help
              Also can be used with wildcard (*) to copy all files in a directory, example:
              Code:
              rsync -avxHAWX --numeric-ids --progress /home/rab/* /mnt/sdb/backup
              Can be used with sudo to copy to locations that require root access
              Last edited by rab0171610; Jun 13, 2022, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X